Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Azamara Club Cruises
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?



 
Notices

Azamara Club Cruises
Find Your Azamara Club Cruises Roll Call

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old January 18th, 2014, 09:18 AM
pacheco18's Avatar
pacheco18 pacheco18 is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Arizona
Posts: 5,052
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by procter View Post
Whoa!!
Andy,Sue-denim and Marinaro44.


Let us have some background here.
I have been sailing Azamara from before it became Club cruises and LOVE the line and will not sail/cruise with any one else.
I am a great supporter of all the staff and have written specific commendations both on board and to Miami so I am not a disgruntled customer.
Indeed if I was I would not be booked in an owners suite for Christmas 2014 in Brazil.
What does get up my nose (and lots of others) is the lack of competence/laziness/lack of attention to detail (insert your own adjective here) of Azamara shore side.
Some examples

1: Azamazing evenings on all voyages.
These then turns out not to include trans Atlantic and despite very many useful suggestions Azamara refused to arrange one.

2: Azamazing evenings which were obviously not checked out as capable for numbers concerned.
See various threads re Tenors or arranging an outdoor concert at 8.00pm 1000 ft up a mountain in late October in Cyprus on a Bank Holiday with all shops closed.
I also acknowledge great evenings like Gibraltar and Black Sea.

3: Latest news on UK website being 2 years out of date which took some 4 months to sort out.
Indeed if you go onto the UK website today there is no news and not even any information in “archive “ also.
Competent I think not

4:The furore about all inclusive which took 2 months to sort out and even had an RCI travel agent misdescribing the offer

5: In view of 6 pages of booking conditions I would expect the Azamara info to be correct and I quote the page exactly.
“As a suite guest, dining in Aqualina and Prime C is always complimentary, as is 24 hour white linen room service from our restaurant menus “
Note plural
If this does not mean that are not guaranteed your choice of speciality why have you paid an extra $1000.
Indeed some travel agents of the Eskimo variety are advertising “Complimentary speciality dining throughout the voyage”


If it does NOT mean 24-hour restaurant service then it should say during restaurant hours and 24 hour room service which by the way is available to all passengers so should not be described as a perk of suite guests.

Additionally I have still not received a contact from Azamara in reply to their email request for comments on our last voyage and their request as to whether I wished to comment further.
I then wrote to CEO office on 28 November and followed up with further email early January to which I have received a reply which typically did not address or answer my specific questions.

I note that here have been several comments re non availability of Speciality dining for suite guests and you can be sure I will be booking mine on Day 1.
I applaud you
You are one of the few Azamara loyalists who does not see everything through rose-colored glasses.

The shore side part of the operation is a disaster on every front. The on board experience is great.

I think the complimentary dining in the Specialties does mean that in theory a suite guest could make a reservation in either restaurant for every night of the cruise. They are, however, paying for that privilege. Perhaps it's the law of unintended consequences, but if every suite passenger did that, it would surely result in some passengers not getting a reservation at their desired time or perhaps not at all.

That is why I greatly prefer the Oceania approach. No charge for the specialty restaurants. EVERYONE is guaranteed a certain number of reservations which you can book ahead of time, with higher cost cabins getting more reservations than lower cost cabins and getting to book earlier (only fair). NO ONE gets extra reservations until everyone has booked his or her minimum. Once you are on board EVERYONE can get extra reservations, subject to availability, regardless of their cabin assignment. On my last cruise, out of 10 nights, I had 7 meals in the 4 specialities on O. I was NOT in a suite. I might have been able to do 10 out of 10 but I did not try.

Suite passengers on O have a terrific additional perk -- they can have their butler serve course by course from any of the Specialties in their suite (even mixing and matching courses from the different restaurants) . In that way, suite passengers get to eat the special food, without preventing others from having additional reservations. A win win IMO.

I still believe that for any line that claims to be luxury (and with Azamara's higher prices) there should not be a charge for the Specialty Restaurants.
__________________
Laraine

Looking forward to:
Azamara Quest Croatia RT Venice September 2014 and follow with short stay in Florence and 2 weeks in Tuscany & Umbria

Oceania Nautica Capetown to Singapore January 2015
with pre cruise safari

Viking Imperial Jewels of China May 2015

Oceania Insignia Miami to Montreal July 2015

Oceania Nautica Rome to Istanbul September 2015, followed by Allure of the Seas 7 nights RT Barcelona October 2015, returning to States on Seabourn Odyssey TA October 2015

Antarctica on NatGeo Explorer February 2016 and back to fabulous Buenos Aires

Seabourn Odyssey TA April 2016 with stay in Southern Spain

Hoping to book Oceania Norwegian Fjords 2016 and Abercrombie & Kent Cuba 2015 or 2016

email me at pacheco18@comcast.net
Reply With Quote

  #22  
Old January 18th, 2014, 05:40 PM
norn iron norn iron is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: norn iron
Posts: 423
Default Point of order number 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by procter View Post
Whoa!!
Andy,Sue-denim and Marinaro44.


Let us have some background here.
I have been sailing Azamara from before it became Club cruises and LOVE the line and will not sail/cruise with any one else.
I am a great supporter of all the staff and have written specific commendations both on board and to Miami so I am not a disgruntled customer.
Indeed if I was I would not be booked in an owners suite for Christmas 2014 in Brazil.
What does get up my nose (and lots of others) is the lack of competence/laziness/lack of attention to detail (insert your own adjective here) of Azamara shore side.
Some examples

1: Azamazing evenings on all voyages.
These then turns out not to include trans Atlantic and despite very many useful suggestions Azamara refused to arrange one.

2: Azamazing evenings which were obviously not checked out as capable for numbers concerned.
See various threads re Tenors or arranging an outdoor concert at 8.00pm 1000 ft up a mountain in late October in Cyprus on a Bank Holiday with all shops closed.
I also acknowledge great evenings like Gibraltar and Black Sea.

3: Latest news on UK website being 2 years out of date which took some 4 months to sort out.
Indeed if you go onto the UK website today there is no news and not even any information in “archive “ also.
Competent I think not

4:The furore about all inclusive which took 2 months to sort out and even had an RCI travel agent misdescribing the offer

5: In view of 6 pages of booking conditions I would expect the Azamara info to be correct and I quote the page exactly.
“As a suite guest, dining in Aqualina and Prime C is always complimentary, as is 24 hour white linen room service from our restaurant menus “
Note plural
If this does not mean that are not guaranteed your choice of speciality why have you paid an extra $1000.
Indeed some travel agents of the Eskimo variety are advertising “Complimentary speciality dining throughout the voyage”


If it does NOT mean 24-hour restaurant service then it should say during restaurant hours and 24 hour room service which by the way is available to all passengers so should not be described as a perk of suite guests.

Additionally I have still not received a contact from Azamara in reply to their email request for comments on our last voyage and their request as to whether I wished to comment further.
I then wrote to CEO office on 28 November and followed up with further email early January to which I have received a reply which typically did not address or answer my specific questions.

I note that here have been several comments re non availability of Speciality dining for suite guests and you can be sure I will be booking mine on Day 1.

I have to disagree with Proctor reference point number 2.
I was also on this cruise, and throughly enjoyed the Azamazing evening.
It was organised exceptionally well by both Azamara and the village people of Omodos.
These are the facts!
It was a public holiday in Cyprus on that day, yet the village came out to welcome everyone from Azamara Journey. ALL of the shops were open. The bars and restaurants around the village square were all open. Food and drink were in abundance. The tour around the village was informative and interesting.
Some of the guides pushed their parties quickly through the tour, to the finale at the village square, this meant there was little time to support the shop keepers who had opened their shops.

On the negative side, the show was poorly managed, with costume changes taking over 20 minutes, culminating in the final performance being cancelled.
And in the lap of the gods, not even Azamara can control the weather.
Passengers were advised to bring sweaters or coats. It did get cold in the mountains, and some passengers had come badly prepared.
I am warm blooded and had a coat, however I was sympathetic to those who suffered from the cold. Aside from the cold it was an excellent evening.
Reply With Quote

  #23  
Old January 18th, 2014, 06:28 PM
Host Andy's Avatar
Host Andy Host Andy is offline
Cruise Critic Host & 10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Boca Raton, FL
Posts: 16,428
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarylady19 View Post
Can you book specialty dining prior to sailing? I thought it was only available once onboard.
Hi Sandi,

My understanding is that you cannot book Specialty Dining in advance of your sailing. A few Years ago, you could make 1 booking in advance, but no longer.
__________________
To E-Mail Me : Click On This Link









Reply With Quote

  #24  
Old January 19th, 2014, 12:37 PM
oddjob16's Avatar
oddjob16 oddjob16 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Alesund, Norway
Posts: 283
Default Hyperbole or not

This thread seems to be about the "complimentary" dining. Even without my rose-colored glasses ( never had any), and in this context, the word "complimentary" would mean "given free".
So: suite guests can dine in the specialty restaurants for free. Some people may think that the way Oceania does it is better and some may think it is fair to have a charge for specialty dining.
All this has been discussed to boredom in other threads, hence the remark from Uktog about flogging the dead horse. It will not move. It is dead. Ceased to exist.
__________________
Previous:
Azamara Journey Nice-Rome September 2011 10 days
Azamara Journey Istanbul-Athens June 2013 7 days
Azamara Journey Athens-Athens June 2013 7 days
Azamara Quest Venice-Venice July 2014 7 days

Reply With Quote

  #25  
Old January 19th, 2014, 01:35 PM
Kellie Poodle's Avatar
Kellie Poodle Kellie Poodle is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Deep South Texas
Posts: 5,135
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by librarylady19 View Post
Can you book specialty dining prior to sailing? I thought it was only available once onboard.
I think you can only book them on board. Even if it was possible to book in advance through the web site, the web site would. undoubtedly, screw it up
__________________
Janet
Mexico, Texas
Number of Cruises: never enough
Loyalty program status: Does it really matter?



Reply With Quote

  #26  
Old January 19th, 2014, 03:10 PM
beachseeker's Avatar
beachseeker beachseeker is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Lake Kiowa Tx/Sanibel
Posts: 787
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddjob16 View Post
All this has been discussed to boredom in other threads, hence the remark from Uktog about flogging the dead horse. It will not move. It is dead. Ceased to exist.
I think Uktog was referring to the lack of no Azamazing Evening on the transatlantic voyages. I could be wrong. The OP's remarks concerned ordering from Prime C and Aqualina's menus for room service. The thread has drifted to not being able to get reservations in either of the restaurants on recent cruises. This appears to be a new concern and has not been discussed, much less to death. If it had been, we would have known to made our reservations as soon as we embarked. In 2012 we reserved within 24 hours, even at the end of the cruise and many of the tables were empty. In 2013, restaurants were booked after the first day. If an amenity of suites as published is "Complimentary seating throughout the voyage in specialty restaurants" and you cannot make a reservation on the first full day of the voyage for anytime during the cruise, this is an amenity they cannot deliver on. Maybe it was simply a factor of the large family groups on the Quest and being in the Caribbean during the holidays. Time will tell.
__________________




Previous Cruises:
Coral Princess Sept 14
NCL Star Jan 13
Azamara Quest July 12, Dec 13
Carnival Magic Dec 11
Serenade of the Seas Mar 11
Ruby Princess Nov 10
Caribbean Princess Mar 10
Adventure of the Seas Nov 09, Nov 12
NCL Sky June 09
Celebrity Solstice Mar 09
Carnival Legend Dec 07-Jan 08
NCL Pearl June 07
Crown Princess March 07, Nov 08
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks

Ad Sponsored By


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:54 AM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.