Isa65 - Which beach?

chamima

• 5 weeks later...

Isa- Is it possible to get to either Playa Portomari or Cas Abao by bus? Would we have a long walk when we get off the bus to get to either or are they easy enough to find? I've been doing some research and managed to find some info about buses so I know where to stops are for travelling West from the cruise port.

Theoretically it's possible since the public bus passes by both entrances.

But to give you an idea:

Cas Abao - the walk from the entrance to the beach will probably take 45 - 60 minutes in the hot sun.

Porto Marie - the walk from the entrance will take between 30 - 45 minutes in the hot sun.

No sidewalks, no houses, just walking through the bush-bush and you are a walking target for anyone wanting to take your camera/money, etc.

The only Western beaches reachable directly by public bus are Lagun, Knip Beach and Westpunt. Rides would be around 2 hours each way (many many stops plus traffic).

Have never been in this port. Really struggling with what to do. Don't want to take a tour as we don't know what we would see. We have our own snorkel gear. I have read about Mambobea beach, Cas Abao beach and Cabana beach. I have no idea how far they are, if you need a cab or if the bus goes there, etc. Also have no idea what there is to in town. Help!!!

• 1 month later...
Avis is the only rental agency with a booth at the pier. There might be others that do pick ups, but that will cut into your port time.

The island is driver friendly, but you have to take into account that there are some roads under construction. F.i. 1 side of the tall bridge is closed and the main road to the Western beaches has a detour into a residential area. Plan enough time to return to the cruise port. Have a great cruise!

Think we are also leaning toward a rental car from Avis - seems reasonable and gives us the flexibility of exploring those beautiful beaches and seeing more of the island - especially since taxi fares seem pretty expensive to those beaches . . .

Agreed Isa65? Although not sure what gas prices are . . . so guess we have to figure that in as well . . .

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I'm just seeing all the bumping :D

Is the question still "Which Beach" or are we talking Car Rental?

Hi Isa65, we're arriving via cruiseship and would like to go to Casa Abao Beach. Are we able to catch a cab at the pier to take us there? How far is it in miles? Are cabs available then at the beach for a return later in the afternoon?

Nancy

Hi Isa65, we're arriving via cruiseship and would like to go to Casa Abao Beach. Are we able to catch a cab at the pier to take us there? How far is it in miles? Are cabs available then at the beach for a return later in the afternoon?

Nancy

Cas Abao is about 18 miles away (30 - 40 minutes) and the best way to go is to find others on your roll call and share a cab. You will find taxi vans at the pier willing to take you there and you need to arrange for them to pick you up, because there will be no taxis waiting at the beach.

It's a nice beach with all amenities, you will have a great time.

Cas Abao is about 18 miles away (30 - 40 minutes) and the best way to go is to find others on your roll call and share a cab. You will find taxi vans at the pier willing to take you there and you need to arrange for them to pick you up, because there will be no taxis waiting at the beach.

It's a nice beach with all amenities, you will have a great time.

Many thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Isa65 that's for all your input. I saw a earlier post on this thread where you said a taxi to Cabana Beach from the cruise ship pier is $20.00 each way. Is that per person or up to so many people?

Also do you know if there is anyone ever there doing beach massages?

Thanks!!

Isa65 that's for all your input. I saw a earlier post on this thread where you said a taxi to Cabana Beach from the cruise ship pier is $20.00 each way. Is that per person or up to so many people?

Also do you know if there is anyone ever there doing beach massages?

Thanks!!

The $20 fare is for up to 4 people. There is a massage shack on the beach, but unfortunately I don't have the pricing.

If not at Cabana, you will find someone at Seaquarium beach (same beach, further down the stretch) giving massages.

• 2 weeks later...

Could anyone tell me if any of the beaches closer to the port, for example Seaquarium or Mambo, have any snorkeling? Even if it isn't as good as the further away beach. We would like to keep it to 20 mins in the taxi if possible.

Thanks

Could anyone tell me if any of the beaches closer to the port, for example Seaquarium or Mambo, have any snorkeling? Even if it isn't as good as the further away beach. We would like to keep it to 20 mins in the taxi if possible.

Thanks

Pirate Bay has decent snorkeling and close to port.

The $20 fare is for up to 4 people. There is a massage shack on the beach, but unfortunately I don't have the pricing.

If not at Cabana, you will find someone at Seaquarium beach (same beach, further down the stretch) giving massages.

Thanks so much for the reply. I somehow missed seeing it until today. I think we have decided to go to Cabana Beach as soon as the ship is cleared. Then I have talked to Bounty Adventures about a Sunset Sail for two hours and they said they can pick us up at Cabana Beach instead of going back to the port from there. Has anyone else done this?

Hello, we will be in curaçao in March. I am thinking about going to wet and wild beach club. I will be traveling with my sister and 2 kids age 9 and 5. Do you think this is a good place to visit or would seaquarium be a better fit? I haven't heard much about wet and wild on this forum. We will be there from 1-11pm on a Wednesday. I was also considering a sunset cruise? Please help, thank you.

Could anyone tell me if any of the beaches closer to the port, for example Seaquarium or Mambo, have any snorkeling? Even if it isn't as good as the further away beach. We would like to keep it to 20 mins in the taxi if possible. Thanks

If your cruise is stopping in Bonaire, that's where I would do the snorkeling. Of the 3 ABC islands, Bonaire is the one noted for diving. If that's the case, hit some other places in Curacao.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Isa65 for all your help! We are planning to rent a car and drive to several different beaches. Several questions...

Is it safe everywhere (all will be in daylight)?

Can you drive directly to the beaches? (Sounded like the buses drop you somewhere and you have to walk in...)

Is there parking and is there a cost for it?

Thank you so much!

Oh and one other question...is the Megapier the only cruise dock or is there another one?

Hi there! It's very safe to drive on the island. If your rental comes with a GPS it should be very easy to find everything.

All popular beaches can be reached by car and have ample (free) parking. IF there is a beach that you have difficulty reaching (San Juan, Santu Pretu, etc) this means that the beach is secluded and you better not venture there.

There are actually 3 docking spots of which the Mega Pier is the most used. When there is more than 1 ship in port, the others can dock at Matthey Wharf (inside the canal) or further in the inlet (this spot is a bit far for walking to downtown and will usually offer shuttles).

• 3 months later...
Looks like this is south of the port. Would this be a good place to go snorkeling? Is it far from the port? If we take a taxi, where should we ask to be let off? Is there a fee to go here?

What are your thoughts on Mambo Beach? This will be our first time to this beautiful island and would like to find a beach with amenities to relax and enjoy the day.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

What are your thoughts on Mambo Beach? This will be our first time to this beautiful island and would like to find a beach with amenities to relax and enjoy the day.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

I can't reply on Mambo Beach, but I can talk about where we ended up going which was Blue Bay. Even though we were skeptical at first because of the beautiful sandy beach (not usually great for snorkeling). We were talked into going here by the cab driver and had such great snorkeling the previous days that we decided not to be too picky. Turned out to be great---even the snorkeling--once we went around the bay on either point. There were plenty of amenities here, too, although we were too busy snorkeling to enjoy any of them. If you'd like to see some pictures of Blue Bay, check out my day at Curacao here in my blog:

http://travelingwithsue.blogspot.com/2015/05/2015-april-17-may-1-southern-caribbean.html

Curacao was our last port, so skim down to the bottom to find it.

• 4 months later...

Hello again Isa,

We'll be back again to your beautiful island this coming February for 2 days this time.

We're thinking of spending one day at the Santa Barbara Beach Resort.

Do you know anything about this resort?

Last time we ended up at Cas Abou and it was wonderful, we may finally make it to Kenepa this trip.

Thanks!