Newly diagnosed diabetic

SW.FloridaPhil

Oh boy, just what I wanted for my birthday, (or five days after), to be told I was diabetic!!

My DW and I are sailing on the Freedom on 9/28/14. Does anyone have experience with being on a cruise being diabetic?

Umbrella drinks, buffets and sweets...oh my!! I have no concept of being on a cruise vacation and having to watch what I eat and drink. HELP!!!

Hi, the good news is that you will live.

Before you cruise there are two especially important things to do

1. Attend the training sessions offered by your local hospital or clinic. You will learn more about the disease and how to control your blood sugar.

2. You should learn how to do the blood sugar test and take these supplies with you.

What I learned is that it is important to spread out the intake of glucides, not having more than the recognized figure at one sitting.

To eat every four hours, and in smaller amounts. This prevents your blood sugar from plunging..which causes clear symptoms that can run from "peckishness" to mental confusion and even blurry vision.

That is just a little piece of the reply but over time you will fall in to a routine and management will be fairly automatic. And the good news is that on a cruise ship you have lots of food choices.

Good luck: if you learn all you can and follow the guidelines, diabetes isn't the end of the world.

Susan

Contact the cruise line right away; they should have a "special services" area for things like this, and also low/no salt diets, food allergies, etc.

Also speak with someone ON BOARD right away, probably someone from Food & Beverages. (The pre-cruise special needs people may be able to give you a specific name to contact once you board.)

They can help you find foods that are more compatible with your dietary/medical needs. You won't be the only person on board with diabetes, so they are no doubt well accustomed to this type of request.

They may also have some special preparations of foods that are better for those on diets like yours.

They might want you to select some food/menu choices a bit in advance, especially if special preparation is needed.

Because you will still be "getting used to" your dietary/medical needs as a diabetic, you might want to consider keeping a few certain food items IN your cabin, available at all times, on short notice.

Your own physician's office should be able to help you with this planning.

As MaisonRose pointed out, there is always food available somewhere on anything other than the smallest of cruise ships. So find a few places where there are things that will 'keep' in your cabin, so you have them at hand right away if needed.

GeezerCouple

I hope you have done a class or will before your cruise so as too give you an idea of carb counting. Carbs are key in high or low blood sugars. Take a book about the basics of being a diabetic as well as food carb counting.lists.Tons of books on the subject!

Stay away from sugary drinks and juices. Drink lots of water! You will not suffer or be deprived. You need no special foods just know what you're eating and how much of it! You live in the real world not in a world that caters to diabetics nor should it!

Testing is what educates you as to what to eat and what to make an occasional treat!

I know for me that pizza is a blood sugar blaster. I have "1" slice and a salad on the side.

I do have cocktails and I stick to gin and tonic......6oz red wine.....bourbon and soda.

Sugary sweet cocktails are not the best of choices and do know that excessive alcohol can plummet blood sugar dangerously!!!

Make the stairs your friend unless physically incapable and pay a visit to the gym everyday to burn off those excessive sugars. Test yourself before you go to make sure you have sugar to spare!

A diabetic needs no special treatment just self education......I know cause I am an experienced type 1

I am a diabetic, we travel on Celebrity, but I know RCCL does the same. All menus are very carefully coded with what the dishes contain so are both easy to read and enormously helpful. There are plenty of sugar free desserts and alternatives to carbs. Remember in the Buffet that in the Asian section that Sushi is loaded with sugar as are the Chinese items

As to alcohol, I was diagnosed late and my liver was already under attack, so all alcohol is out, I take the premium water package and really enjoy my unlimited Perrier and San Pelligrino, also the ships carry a wide selection of teas. Before long you will not miss booze and wonder what all the fuss was about

Do not worry, being a diabetic is not the end of the world, by being careful you can eat all kinds of wonderful things, life will never be the same, but you will start on a road of life style changes that are very rewarding

Enjoy your Cruise

Hugz

Peter

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Petert102