Voyages to Antiquity 2015 Winter Schedule

librarian

I believe there was some problem last winter with rough seas. Will these journeys encounter the same problems, or are the journeys to calmer sea areas? We loved our cruises with VTA and hope to sail with her again. Just wondering if some changes to the ship for more stability in rough seas has been done.

• 3 weeks later...

We've requestsed a call back for the Singapore to Delhi March '15 cruise.

From reading the CC reviews things have improved since earlier cruises.

Since there is no thread just for this line, am I correct in assuming that there's no way to connect with fellow cruisers.

Ruth

Guess we're a hardy lot, as we've decided to book -- just awaitng a call back as I gather offices are not open on the weekend. A friend who sailed on the maiden voyage sure recommended against the ship but since this is the only way I'll do India we're going to risk it. My husband is game for an extended land tour but I'm not.

We too hope for a roll call on that other site, but I imagine that with so few passengers on board it will only be luck if we connect with anyone.

Ruth

Ruth - so far I've sailed around Sicily, travelled to Greece and the Black Sea and went from Bangkok to Bali with the little ship. I was planning on the October 27/14 cruise too but since I suspect there will be some changes with that program, decided to go on the Jan, 2015 cruise and see some more of Indonesia.

It's a lovely little ship to travel on, the crew is wonderful and despite some problems ( I was on her when she lost the air con ), I am not hesitating about traveling on her again.

Perhaps we can use this blog to connect with others... I have requested that they set up their roll call again too.

Enjoy our lovely Fall weather... as I type, hubby is outside raking leaves :)

Shar

Essiesmom,

I like the idea of keeping one thread for this one ship. Don't imagine there will be much action so it's nice to concentrate it in one thread.

I wonder if the thread title could be changed by the moderator to 'ALL THINGS VOYAGE TO DISCOVERY'?

Ruth

Ruth - I think you may mean Voyages to Antiquity? or perhaps on the wrong thread? Shar

You're correct Shar,

Once we finalize a booking - -our regular TA is on vacation -- I'm going to start two threads entitled: All things Voyage to Antiquity and Roll Calls Voyage to Antiquity.

That might make it easier to link with others venturing on this no bells and whistles one ship line.

I doubt a moderator would ever feel there's enough 'sea traffic' to justify a separate thread as other real lines merit.

Ruth

I started a link last year called Voyages to Antiquity questions/answers but I think it sort of died out. Given that the ship only carries 350 pax at a time, the odds are against too much chatter.. of course unless it's to complain:)

There are very positive reviews now and I'm happy see that. Shar

I was on Aegean Odyssey for the third time in late April/early May and I have to say it was a great cruise -- wonderful ports, terrific weather, the usual friendly feeling onboard.

In the past, because my other two cruises were in the fall, I ate mostly in the dining room. But on this cruise I really took to the al fresco dining on the terrace; it made for many fabulous evening sailaways.

P.S. I booked a 2015 SE Asia cruise!

P.P.S. I wouldn't really say it is "no bells and whistles" either.

Thank you so much for posting the wonderful picture of the ship arriving in port!

Last April, I started with VTA in Venice and went to Istabul - and absolutely loved every moment! :)

And this Sunday, October 13th, I'm leaving for my next VTA cruise which starts with a 2 nt. pre-cruise stay in Rome and takes me all the way back to Istanbul for a 2 nt. post-cruise stay before flying home via Air Canada's new direct route to Toronto!

Ciao for now!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I am with VTA in September 2014. Athens to Istanbul & Istanbul to Istanbul round the Black Sea.

Does anyone have any comments about the excursion & how they are handled, being included in the price? I feel a little withdrawal as every other cruise I have been on there is lots of excursion picking & planning.

Steve

As I recall, all passengers are offered the same excursion at the same time. You will be assigned a color, usually by cabin classification and each group will be called upon to board. The calling to board by color will rotate, so that some days your group will be first to board your bus, and other days may be last. As each bus is fully boarded it will depart for the destination. This allows each site visited not to be overrun. Since this is a small ship, you never have the feeling of being overly crowded, even if several buses arrive together. Each bus will have a tour guide and several assistants from the ship to be on hand for any missteps or problems.

The inclusion of the excursions is an outstanding feature of this line. You are free of course to stay on board or make your own plans. Why you would opt not to join the planned trips is hard to fathom, since they are well organized and enable you to visit the top attractions at no additional cost or worry.

Rest assured, you will have a wonderful journey with well planned excursions. Reading up on the planned excursions can help alleviate your sense of withdrawal.

Bon voyage.

Hi,

Thanks for that. Very informative & the process sounds super efficient. I am sure including excursions in the fare it is a good plan on the part of the cruise line, in that EVERY passenger pays for THEIR excursions. Passengers would gain from their buying in bulk too.

I have been wondering how the people who prefer private tours would approach this. Probably not go on the cruise. It would be hard to pass up on an excursion you had paid for.

My itinerary looks like it will give me a bit of free time ashore as well, which is a bonus.

Traveling on my own, I find ships excursions are often the best way to go for me. They might be expensive but they cut out a lot of the apprehension of missing the boat & it is a very safe way to travel.

I am looking forward very much to this cruise. Looks ideal to me.

Steve

Steve - the last cruise I was on with them ( Bangkok to Bali ) there were 2 couples who decided to go on their own but actually used the ship's shorex team to connect them with the company the ship was using in the ports. It was done as a last minute thing on their part once they were on board.

I also travel as a solo and know that I would not be able to see all of the things that the company includes in a day tour. There may be long days on the bus in some cases but there are sufficient rest/photo stops to break up the trip. The restaurants included in the trips are top-notch.

There is an option to opt out of the excursions and just pay for the cruise but again, it's been my experience that the tours are well-organized, pertinent and very interesting.

Shar

Edited by Ontariotrekker
flying wizard

Hi Shar,

Again, very interesting comments & thanks for them. I am sure the lectures and excursion are well thought out. Does the Lecturer sometimes go on excursions?

My cruise goes to the Crimea. I have no great interest in war history but read all the Flashman books & one of those ( Flashman at the charge maybe ) was set in the Crimean war. Flashman started the Charge of the Light Brigade by farting & making his horse bolt. I must get that book for my trip. it's very funny.

Steve

I too am in Ontario & it looks very pretty with the first snowfall of the year. Now it can go away again.

Edited by has been

The lecturers often go on the shorex and may or may not comment on the sites etc. Most of them don't want to interfere with the local guides. In some of the tours I've done, the lecturers were tourists just like us.. seeing things they had only read about even if it was in their field. Shar