Self assist debarkation

overthesea

If you do self assist debarkation, does it have to be done before the 1st color/number is called or can it be done anytime. Thanks.

I think they expect you to be first off. Otherwise why do it.

If everyone (or a large number) do what you suggest and sign up for self assist but leave adhoc ...... think of the chaos that will be created when a mob expects to leave while others scheduled to leave need to get off to get to their bus to get to the airport.

On our last cruise I put down on our request that we wanted self disembarkation & we were going to wait until 10 AM. (no ride till then) They completely disregarded it & scheduled us for the first group. Either they didn't understand me or didn't care so from now on I'll just have to do the the desk in person & explain. They were walking around checking people as to what time they were schedule to leave & were a little surprised I told them we were going to self disembark. Maybe it was because we weren't waiting with any particular group & just wandering around with our luggage.

The US Customs Officials and Port Security Staff insist that anyone taking their own bags off the ship do so first. This avoids unnecessary congestion later when several thousand additional suitcases are delivered to the terminal.

The cruise lines have nothing to do with this decision - although it does make sense.

Taking your own suitcases off the ship only makes sense if you are in such a rush that you cannot wait for the stevedores to take them off for you.

What is the point of carrying your own suitcases off the ship later in the day?

The US Customs Officials and Port Security Staff insist that anyone taking their own bags off the ship do so first. This avoids unnecessary congestion later when several thousand additional suitcases are delivered to the terminal.

The cruise lines have nothing to do with this decision - although it does make sense.

Taking your own suitcases off the ship only makes sense if you are in such a rush that you cannot wait for the stevedores to take them off for you.

I absolutely agree, the reason for self-disembarkation is for people who are in a hurry to get off the ship. If you want to stay on until later for whatever reason, then use the normal disembarking process.

Self-disembarkation is a very nice option, but not always as easy as one might think to carry and maneuer around all of your luggage, carry-ons, handbags, etc. in one trip without any assistance! I have seen folks really struggling with it! Keep in mind that in some ports you must negotiate escalators or s step here and there. I'm sure, in addition to the above comments, Princess want those doing self-disembarkation off early as they do not want the elevators tied up with the luggage.

We travel with very lite & small luggage & it's no problem carrying out suitcases on our own. If I sign up to have Princess do it for me I have no idea at what time the particular group will be called. Since the groups are called in order now, we might be dumped on the dock 30 or 40 minutes before I really want to be there & just have to wait around anyway. I rather be sitting on the ship than standing in the parking lot, wouldn't you?

i've had my color called and still remained on the ship until the last groups, you dont have to get off the minute your color is called...this usually isn't a problem since the majority of the people want to get off as soon as possible

Since I don't mind carrying my own luggage it equates to the same thing only I don't need to search for my luggage in the terminal.

With self-disembarkation, you will be assigned a time. You don't just get off whenever you want.

Oh, they give you a time alright - It's the first to go at 8:15 sharp. I asked for a later time but they don't seem to care & just assign you first. This has happened numerous times & I'll try to explain to them again on the next cruise but it's just easier to go whenever.

they dont give you a later time because they want everyone who is taking their own luggage off first so they dont clog the gangways and passageways when others are trying to get off. i dont think it's a big deal if you wait until the very end but getting off in between with your own stuff could slow down the process for others. i know you said you don't have a lot of luggage but some do so that's why they have it scheduled that way. if everyone got off with their own luggage when they wanted it could get very chaotic.

they dont give you a later time because they want everyone who is taking their own luggage off first so they dont clog the gangways and passageways when others are trying to get off. i dont think it's a big deal if you wait until the very end but getting off in between with your own stuff could slow down the process for others. i know you said you don't have a lot of luggage but some do so that's why they have it scheduled that way. if everyone got off with their own luggage when they wanted it could get very chaotic.

That does make sense as it really could clog up the gangway. The last time we got off at around 10:20 AM or so I think we were almost the last to get off & there was hardly any luggage in the terminal.

Oh, they give you a time alright - It's the first to go at 8:15 sharp. I asked for a later time but they don't seem to care & just assign you first. This has happened numerous times & I'll try to explain to them again on the next cruise but it's just easier to go whenever.

I think what you're not following is that there aren't several timeslots for self-disembarkation; there is only one. So if you request self-disembarkation, you are going to be assigned the time to get off, and that is when you should get off. If you want to hang around, use the normal disembarkation procedures.

I think what you're not following is that there aren't several timeslots for self-disembarkation; there is only one. So if you request self-disembarkation, you are going to be assigned the time to get off, and that is when you should get off. If you want to hang around, use the normal disembarkation procedures.

Exactly. Those that wish to self disembark are the first ones off. This stops all the problems that those trying to carry their own luggage can cause for a massive group trying to disembark to claim their luggage in the terminal.

Self Embarkation doesn't give you a choice. You want to carry your own luggage, you are the first group off. If not, put your luggage out the last evening and claim it in the terminal. Self disembarkation is for those that wish to disembark the ship the earliest, not at their convienence.

Exactly. Those that wish to self disembark are the first ones off. This stops all the problems that those trying to carry their own luggage can cause for a massive group trying to disembark to claim their luggage in the terminal.

Self Embarkation doesn't give you a choice. You want to carry your own luggage, you are the first group off. If not, put your luggage out the last evening and claim it in the terminal. Self disembarkation is for those that wish to disembark the ship the earliest, not at their convienence.

Sure it does. No where does it say that if you want to disembark with carrying you own luggage you have to be first & at no other time. I'm all willing to accept a certain color & time slot but I'll be carrying all my luggage just like everyone else is carrying.

Sure it does. No where does it say that if you want to disembark with carrying you own luggage you have to be first & at no other time. I'm all willing to accept a certain color & time slot but I'll be carrying all my luggage just like everyone else is carrying.

Good Luck! If you treavel very light, as you say, you probably won't have a problem. ;)

Why is it you insist on carrying off your luggage. The reason the cruise line provides the service is to streamline the disembarkation process.

All the rest go along with the program... why not you. If you do not need to early disembark and insist on having all your luggage... however small you claim... the rest of your fellow passengers still have to get around it in the lounge, in the buffet, on the elevator, on the ramps, in the terminal.....

Why do you specifically need this special consideration. :confused:

We have done this twice so far and to us it's the only way to go, especially when we drive home from the port. We were not given a choice of time, we were the first off at 8:00 a.m. The announcement to get going was only made in the lounge where we were, so there were not thousands leaving at the same time. It was very orderly, very civilized.

Why is it you insist on carrying off your luggage. The reason the cruise line provides the service is to streamline the disembarkation process.

All the rest go along with the program... why not you. If you do not need to early disembark and insist on having all your luggage... however small you claim... the rest of your fellow passengers still have to get around it in the lounge, in the buffet, on the elevator, on the ramps, in the terminal.....

Why do you specifically need this special consideration. :confused:

I don't know what's it like where you cruise but I've never encountered any problems or caused problems by carrying my luggage. We leave our bags in the room until we're finished with breakfast & customs, go back & pick up the luggage & hang out on the ship with our luggage beside us. I would never carry my bags to breakfast. By the time we get off the ship the masses of people have already preceded us & we casually walk off. I've never held up a single person on the gangway or elevator. As a matter of fact people are usually to slow for my liking. If anything they get in my way & hold me back.

hang out on the ship with our luggage beside us.

You do realize Princess has changed it's disembarkation process this past year or so don't you? You don't just hang out anywhere on the ship anymore, but must go to your assigned meeting place to be called for disembarkation. This has stopped the hovering over the exit, the masses blocking the stairways, and made the entire process totally organized compared to what it used to be like.

You do realize Princess has changed it's disembarkation process this past year or so don't you? You don't just hang out anywhere on the ship anymore, but must go to your assigned meeting place to be called for disembarkation. This has stopped the hovering over the exit, the masses blocking the stairways, and made the entire process totally organized compared to what it used to be like.

Of course I realize it. But if your assigned to be the first off the ship & you don't leave, you can sit anywhere you like as long as it's not in the atrium area. The new disembarkation procedure works great & keeps people out of the way when leaving.

The new disembarkation procedure works great & keeps people out of the way when leaving.

Sort of. There are still those people who should have been off the ship at their assigned time earlier in the morning -- and they are in the way when the groups who are to follow them are leaving.

Archived