Victory CTN Review 6-17-04

Bunkie103

Back from my first CTN ever. Took the trip with my DD who is 32, just us two girls.

Coming from Philly and Boston we Amtrak-ed into NYC. Arrived at the exact same time and grabbed a cab to the pier. In Thursday almost noon traffic the fare was $7.00. Dropped off at the corner of 12th Avenue and 48th street which was perfect. Pulled our bags across the street and onto the pier elevator. It was very confusing up there...no signs just crowds of people. Joined what appeared to be the boarding group...the ship was on the right side so we picked that side. Stood and waited with no direction. There were 4 weddings and a travel agent luncheon, so that made it more confusing. Now it was only a little after 11 and we were told we would not board until 1:30 so we couldn't get upset. Shortly after 12 noon they opened the gates, checked to see we had tickets and sent us in to have our baggage scanned. There were lots of scanners so this went very quickly. Then on to the line to check in.

We had a Fun Pass completed, but it was interesting that EVERYONE at that time seemed to have one also. The NO FUN PASS line was SHORTER than ours. The line moved VERY quickly and we were checked in, had our sail and sign cards and heading toward the gangway before 12:30!!

We walked right on, grabbed an elevator to our Aft Balcony (6440) and it was ready. Great room, only noticably smaller than the last 8A (6210) we had on the Triumph...less drawer space and walking around room, but it didn't matter we had this great balcony. The prior occupants had locked the safe before they left (thank you), so we had to wait for someone to come and unlock it. We opted to do lunch instead and then came back and waited for them to unlock it.

Lunch on the Lido was the usual selections and the wonderful desserts. Grabbed a Fun Ship Special to complete a nice lunch. Unpacked a few things while we waited for the safe to be unlocked and then went out to explore the ship. My DD wanted to see the exercise room and Camp Carnival and we found our table in the Pacific Dining room.

The ship didn't sail until almost 5:30 and by then it had started to rain...actually pour with thunder and lightning. As always it was exciting to sail out of Manhattan for this native New Yorker.

Meals were excellent, but noticed a lack of interest by the wait staff. Guess I was spoiled by the 7 day trip. The waiter never introduced himself, but the service was fine and the meals were as good as I remembered.

Never met out cabin steward either, but he kept the room spotless and we always had fresh ice and towel animals.

The people on our trip were certainly a broad representation of the population...meaning young, old, single, attached and no doubt the "looking" group. They were for the most part VERY enthusiastic, about everything. Showtime in the dining room found lots of girls up dancing with the waiters, something I didn't see before. It was fun. We were seated at a table with two young men from New Jersey...my daughter termed it a "blind date gone bad". They were nice, but one had no idea of "how to be an adult" although this was a college graduation gift from their parents. Didn't bother me a bit...felt like I was eating with my three kids!

I did feel Carnival was a bit remiss because there was no Caper on the last night. So, we had no idea of when breakfast would be served, IF there was room service for breakfast, what time they wanted us out of our room???? No color tags were called to leave, it was just mass exodus. We hung out on the Lido deck until it cleared out a bit.

All in all I would say we had a really nice time. Would I do it again? not sure. I think another night would be nice.

I have capers, so if anyone wants a copy send me your address to : bunkie103@yahoo.com

Mary

Triumph Eastern 10/03

Victory CTN 6/17/04

Sensational Cruise from the Bayou 10/23/04

How many days did you sail for? Who was your Cruise Director? What was the entertainment like each night? How was the service & food on the buffet and the dinning room. Was the ship crowded? I can't wait for my cruise next week!

Facination July 12 2004

Victory June 28 2004

Victory Aug. 28 2003

Triumph July 2002

Okay, we were on the 2 day CTN. The Cruise Director was Skip Lyons. The ship was quite crowded. The meals IMO were excellent. We ate in the dining room both nights and used the buffet for lunch or breakfast. Service was excellent, but it was difficult for us to get to know our servers.

Have a wonderful time!! icon_biggrin.gif

Mary

Triumph Eastern 10/03

Victory CTN 6/17/04

We were on the 2 nighter 6/15 and liked it very much. However we were surprised that they had a formal night. We were wondering how everyone knew but us. My husband did not bring a jacket, while most of the men did. Did your travel agent mention it to you? Thanks

I booked thru Carnival and specifically asked that question, hoping it would be "yes" to the formal night. I enjoy it and knew my DD would too. Many people on the ship apparently did not know, or care, that it was formal night. Didn't really matter to me how they dressed, but I think our table companions were embarrased. icon_frown.gif

Mary

Triumph Eastern 10/03

Victory CTN 6/17/04

I booked thru Carnival for our 2 nighter and they told me no formal. Found out before we left from here that there was and I was prepared.

Fascination 1997 Destiny 2000

Victory 2000 Sensation 2001

Norway 2002 Legend 2002

NCL Dawn 2003 Inspiration 2003

Victory 2004 Holiday 2004

Well, my husband was not really embarassed as there were many with no jackets. We were just surprised that they would have a formal night on a 2 day cruise.

They should have more of these cruises to nowhere, we had a really good time. Thanks for your answers.

Were there assigned tables and sittings? I've booked a CTN in Nov, and it occurred to me that my TA didn't ask what we'd prefer. But then I thought it's probably too much trouble to assign for only two nights. What was your experience?

M/R

Two questions...two answers. You must pay your gratuities with your final payment on all CTN trips.

Yes, there is assigned seating in the dining room. I did notice many empty tables, but we did definitely have an assigned table.

Mary

Triumph Eastern 10/03

Victory CTN 6/17/04

On our two nighter breakfast and lunch were opening seating but dinner was assigned. Lots of empty tables.

Fascination 1997 Destiny 2000

Victory 2000 Sensation 2001

Norway 2002 Legend 2002

NCL Dawn 2003 Inspiration 2003

Victory 2004 Holiday 2004

Thanks for your answers, but just to clarify, when you say that you have to pay for gratuities with final payment, are they already added to the prices that the cruise line if offering, or is $40.00 added to that?

The reason I am asking is that it seems that the prices are high for a 2 nighter, so I am wondering if it already includes the tips.

Bringing this to the top, hoping someone can answer my question. On cruises to nowhere, does the price of the 2 day cruise include the gratuities?

I know that you have to prepay them now, but will they add on the $40.00, or will that be the final price? Thanks

:) We will be on the Carnival Victory, New York to Canada the last week of September:D

Our cabin is 6424 on port side just a few cabins from where yours was. This is our first aft cabin.:eek:

So was wondering if you felt a lot of motion at the aft?? Also which dining room did you have???

I have heard as well that the Victory is hard to learn your way around. Any tips???

Thanks

It can be a little confusing to find your way around, but when you board they give you a handy little deck plan. I also had sailed on the Triumph and prior to that had memorized the deck plans.

We were assigned to the Pacific Dining room. You can just get on the elevators closest to the aft rooms and ride down to the Pacific Dining room or up to the Lido deck. The aft rooms are convenient!

Yes, I think you do feel a little more motion, but some people think it is just sailing from the northern ports.

It can be a little confusing to find your way around, but when you board they give you a handy little deck plan. I also had sailed on the Triumph and prior to that had memorized the deck plans.

We were assigned to the Pacific Dining room. You can just get on the elevators closest to the aft rooms and ride down to the Pacific Dining room or up to the Lido deck. The aft rooms are convenient!

Yes, I think you do feel a little more motion, but some people think it is just sailing from the northern ports.

Thanks, also our cabin is one of those "L" shaped cabins, did you happen to meet any of the other cruise that might have had one of these close to yours?

Thanks so much

Marcyjane....the Carnival PVP originally assigned us to 6451 which is an L-shaped with the larger balcony. It wouldn't do since I was traveling with my adult daughter and we didn't care to share a queen-size bed. I believe there are pics on the bottom of a post by a cruiser named "familyoffour". If you see one of her posts be sure to look at her albums because she advised me on the setup of the original cabin and I was able to change to one with twins/king. When I saw her pics I would have easily stuck with it if I had been with my DH. It was a nice roomy cabin with a much larger balcony. :)

Thanks, for the info on "familyoffour", I just searched the boards and only find 4 post and none "now" have the photo links.

I think I'll start a new thread/post to attn: "familyoffour" and maybe they will see my question and I can get the link for the photo's.

I guess with the new boards that there links and or photo's are gone now.

Thanks so much:)

Archived