Special Needs at sea and Carevacations

kitegirl

I just called both to see about renting a scooter and also bed rail for my cruise next september.... The price for one company was almost double the other.... Has anyone rented from either and if so which company had the better equiptment and service??

Thanks

I just called both to see about renting a scooter and also bed rail for my cruise next september.... The price for one company was almost double the other.... Has anyone rented from either and if so which company had the better equiptment and service??

Thanks

Both companies provide good service as well as equipment. Prefer to use CareVacations as the scooter I'm able to rent is the same make and model that I own.

Are you comparing comparable scooters as the categories and models of scooters vary between both companies ? Refer below

• Carevacations Light weight scooter - SpecialNeedsatsea no equivalent
  • Carevacations Mid-Size scooter same as Specialneedsatsea Standard scooter
  • Carevacations Full size scooter same as SpecialNeedsatsea Heavy Duty
  • SpecialNeedsatSea Bariatri - CareVacation no equivalent

Believe SpecialNeedsatseas automatically adds insurance to its quote. You can decline insurance if you so choose. Suggest you check your home owners insurance as it may be cover it.

Edited by xxoocruiser

XXOO, great advice. I didn't even think about the insurance thing because I don't remember CareVacations ever offering that option. And yes, it's important to compare apples to apples on both sites as they both offer the same scooters in different sizes.

I know that the wheelchairs we rented for mom, a companion chair, were priced the same at both places.

XXOO, great advice. I didn't even think about the insurance thing because I don't remember CareVacations ever offering that option. And yes, it's important to compare apples to apples on both sites as they both offer the same scooters in different sizes.

I know that the wheelchairs we rented for mom, a companion chair, were priced the same at both places.

Re: insurance - Also suggest checking your credit card company it may too include rental insurance ,

• 3 weeks later...

I think it is best to check with both companies each time you rent. I have rented from both companies and the same equipment can definitely vary in price. It's only one more phone call to make sure you get the best deal.

In my city (Cincinnati) I can rent a scooter from the medical supply company for less than $100 per week to take on cruises. Check into that. Lots cheaper .

I think the big advantage to Carevacations and Special Needs is that there is no transportation hassles for you getting to/from the port, and your equipment will be waiting in your cabin, and you leave it in the cabin at disembarkation.

In my city (Cincinnati) I can rent a scooter from the medical supply company for less than $100 per week to take on cruises. Check into that. Lots cheaper .

In Columbus it's about the same. We rented one for my father in law in January for about $125 for 9 days. It made it easier for him to get around in the airport as well. I own my own so we're used to transporting mine around everywhere.

I think the big advantage to Carevacations and Special Needs is that there is no transportation hassles for you getting to/from the port, and your equipment will be waiting in your cabin, and you leave it in the cabin at disembarkation.

Except for getting to and from the ship!! Until you have mobility issues (which you might) you have no idea how hard it is getting around airports and the ports before you even get to your cabin.