Need assessment of rollator vs wheel chair for my friend

My friend (with whom I cruised last year, and you folks gave me lots of useful info) and I are likely cruising together again this year.

Last year I was able to convince her to use a wheelchair for embark/disembark but she would NOT use one while onboard. This year, if we go, it will be on a larger ship AND her physical problems have escalated.

She has profound arthritis in her hands and her feet. She told me a couple of weeks ago she can no longer walk a city block because of the pain in her feet. I also know her hands are so bad she can no longer scoop kitty litter, and has to hire someone to do that.

So we were (briefly) discussing renting a wheelchair for this upcoming cruise, and she said she would consider one of the rollator-thingys that has a seat, so she can sit when necessary. Personally, I don't think she will be able to manage to hold onto the handles for any length of time -- she has virtually no grip and lots of pain. And I honestly don't see how the rollator will help, really -- she will still be putting walking-type pressure on her feet.

So, if you or a friend or family member have used both or either one, I'd love to hear your assessment, and the benefits and deficits of each.

Thanks so much!

I use a rollator at home but not for travel. A true rollator has four wheels while it is possible to find rollators that automatically lock the wheels when you transfer your weight to the walker I find that type difficult to use. My walker only stops moving when I squeeze the brakes. I think your friend might find this type of walker difficult to use given her hand problems. When traveling the seat is OK, not comfortable but OK. I also find a manual wheelchair difficult when traveling as my husband then becomes my transporter. I like a light weight scooter and being just back from a Baltic cruisetour last week was so thankful to have it with me. He didn't have to push and I didn't have to slow the group down by sitting on the walker nor did I have to worry about falling (or at least not worry any more than normal). I use a travelscoot but there are lots of other brands and not every scooter works for every person. I think the best thing to do is to see a physical therapist and have them do an evaluation as to the best product.

Katisdale, thank you for your reply. I think you hit the nail on the head re: objection to a wheelchair -- she doesn't want to have to rely on me to push it. The truth is, I don't think she'll need to use it all the time, just when there's a lot of walking involved.

Knowing this lady, I don't think a power scooter would be any more attractive to her than a wheelchair would. I will mention it, though, and see what her response is. Do they have hand-operated controls? Would she need a strong grip in order to use the controls? (I'm visualizing something like a "gas pedal" and a brake, on the handlebars????)

Regarding going to a PT for an evaluation? Nope, that will NOT happen. I guarantee it. :)

Thanks again!

Does your friend see a physical therapist? If so, he or she could evaluate her and see what mobility aids would work best. In many states you can see a PT directly (without a doctor's referral), and insurance will cover the visit. I think that this would be a better approach than your trying to "talk her into" a wheelchair or scooter.

If she has problems with her hands or grip I would be a little concerned about her on a scooter. What if her hand locks up and can't un grip etc. There are no brakes on scooters. Also, she will have to be careful of others. Able bodied people tend to race in front of scooters and try to get ahead of them. Sometimes fast actions on the handles are needed. She could hurt herself as well as others.

I know exactly what you are going thru. My mom will ride a scooter but will not have anything to do with a wheelchair. For the simple fact it is a wheelchair. It is hard for some people to get past that fact.

klauer, thanks for the suggestion. No she won't go to a PT. I know how stubborn she is, and am not prepared to turn this into a battle.

Umbarger, thanks, especially for this part:

I know exactly what you are going thru. My mom will ride a scooter but will not have anything to do with a wheelchair. For the simple fact it is a wheelchair. It is hard for some people to get past that fact.

This lady is very independent, is determined to not appear disabled, and is quite frustrating :) I understand she doesn't want to use a w/c, BUT she'll have a better vacation overall if she isn't worrying about her ability to walk.

I had a look at the scooters that CareVacations rents. I have concerns about her ability to drive it safely. I guess I'll just wait and see what she decides, but I'm going to continue to "suggest" the wheelchair.

Thanks again everyone!

Archived