Any Scooters That Have a Higher Clearance?

kitty9

I've just started looking for a new scooter and I'd like one with a higher ground clearance. The one I have now only has a 1 1/2 inch clearance and it's just not good for cruising as it gets stuck on the gangway in ports and in some doorways.

I don't want a portable scooter like a Luggie as the foot beds on those don't work for my deformed foot, so it has to be one with a flat foot bed. I also would prefer the scooter not to be one of those huge heavy duty scooters.

Any info would be appreciated.

Darcie

Of the travel portable scooters the Pride GoGo Sport tends to have the highest clearance at 3". Even at that it can still get hung up on the gangway joints as water levels also plays a factor in whether or not a scooter will get hung up on the gangway.

Generally speaking Full Size and Bariatric size scooter generally handle the gangways much better.

Pat

I've just started looking for a new scooter and I'd like one with a higher ground clearance. The one I have now only has a 1 1/2 inch clearance and it's just not good for cruising as it gets stuck on the gangway in ports and in some doorways.

I don't want a portable scooter like a Luggie as the foot beds on those don't work for my deformed foot, so it has to be one with a flat foot bed. I also would prefer the scooter not to be one of those huge heavy duty scooters.

Any info would be appreciated.

I love my Golden Companion scooter (Golden Technologies), located in PA (service by telephone is excellent). 3 wheeler, good turning radius. It's clearance is 3.5 and has a flat bed with the most leg room. The seat moves up/down, as well as back/forth, (and swivels) as does the handlebars (u shaped ) to accommodate a perfect fit for the rider. It's charger is off board so no wires to tangle. A charge lasts 16 miles (varies with inclines) but it is extremely powerful. Generally no problem getting off but as stated above, if angle to get on is too high, it will catch. I've gotten many compliments on cruises from attendants on its power.....as I generally say....it can do it, I have no problem. Once they see that, they relax and just get out of my way. So, take a look at the specs of Golden. Ordered through internet, easy assembly and taken apart often to put in trunk of Nissan Maxima. Heaviest piece with battery is 45 lbs. vicki

Darcie, I've currently got a Pride Go Go Elite Traveler Plus. I chose this one because it had a little higher clearance and more battery power but is still light weight enough for my husband to take apart and put anywhere.

However, you might consider an alternative. I have a new travel wheelchair made by Wheelchair88 dot com. It folds up large suitcase size and is powered by lithium ion batteries. I got the XL1000 (the heavier duty one) because I wanted the power to jump small curbs and do the rough terrain of some of the European cruises. It weighs 50 pounds. I've just returned from a week on the Celebrity Summit and can tell you that it had no problems with the gangways or with the occasional higher doorstep. It almost has too much power and you need to be aware of that. Let me know if you would like a full review.

Kate

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We've used a Drive Daytona 3 wheel for the last 8 years, not the lightest, but not really too bad. I have set it up with some "quick connect" wires for the batteries which allows us to carry a second set along (which actually fit in a laptop bag) when the onboard batteries start to peter out, we know it's time to swap the plugs to the spares, and head back to the hotel or cruise ship. Sure beats our old method which had me removing the seat and cowling to replace batteries - wound up gathering quite a crowd when I replaced them in the Forbidden City in Beijing

However, you might consider an alternative. I have a new travel wheelchair made by Wheelchair88 dot com. It folds up large suitcase size and is powered by lithium ion batteries. I got the XL1000 (the heavier duty one) because I wanted the power to jump small curbs and do the rough terrain of some of the European cruises. It weighs 50 pounds. I've just returned from a week on the Celebrity Summit and can tell you that it had no problems with the gangways or with the occasional higher doorstep. It almost has too much power and you need to be aware of that. Let me know if you would like a full review.

Kate

Kate,

Thank you for your post. I got one of the EZ Lite Cruiser and I really like it. However I had not seen anyone on here who had used one on a cruise. I researched several and decided on the EZ Lite. It is very similar to the Wheelchair88 and wondered how well they do on cruises. I am glad to know that it worked well for you.

I am really looking forward to using it on our upcoming cruise in April.

Zellalamb,

I have a question I just though of. Were you in a handicap cabin or a regular cabin?

The reason I ask, in April on our cruise we have a handicap cabin but in 2017 we decided to try a grand suite which is not accessible.

If you did not have a handicap cabin, did you have any trouble getting your wheelchair through the door? I am thinking that my husband may have to fold it up before it will go through the door.

Thank you for any info that you can give me.

Carol,

I took the chair on a cruise in September and have flown with it about 5 times already. In general, it worked really well. It has great clearance and power for the gangways and folds up really easily. Some of the drawbacks are that it is very low to the ground, which I don't understand, and you really need to give yourself time to get used to the controls, which are very powerful and the front wheels may sometimes take you somewhere you don't expect when going down a steep hill. You may need to fold it up to get into your room. The turning radius is such that it is hard to get a good, straight in shot to your door way if the hall is narrow. I had an accessible room. One thing that was kind of nice was that I didn't have to park my scooter in the dining room as I could just drive straight up to the table.

Kate

Carol, EZ lite was one of my choices. I went with the Geo Cruiser and have taken it for test runs. I like it and it will make a world of difference.

Thank you for the info.

Carol,

I took the chair on a cruise in September and have flown with it about 5 times already. In general, it worked really well. It has great clearance and power for the gangways and folds up really easily. Some of the drawbacks are that it is very low to the ground, which I don't understand, and you really need to give yourself time to get used to the controls, which are very powerful and the front wheels may sometimes take you somewhere you don't expect when going down a steep hill. You may need to fold it up to get into your room. The turning radius is such that it is hard to get a good, straight in shot to your door way if the hall is narrow. I had an accessible room. One thing that was kind of nice was that I didn't have to park my scooter in the dining room as I could just drive straight up to the table.

Kate

I appreciate you letting me know this. Since I can walk short distances it won't be a big issue for my husband to fold it up to get in the doorway.

Thanks for your help!