Cinco De Mayo on board...

CRU1Z1N

Last year we were on a sea day heading to grand turk on 5/5. It was also our first elegant night.

The activities related to cinco de mayo were: (pulling this out of an old funtimes)

a mariachi duck scavenger hunt - there were 12 ducks in plain view all over the ship and you dropped off your entry in the box and I guess they drew them the next day.

There was a paper flower arts and crafts class

There was a spicy sombrero pass. (I'm guessing like musical chairs, or hot potato)

There was Cinco de Mayo trivia

and there must have been something in the atrium, we saw a bunch of people walking around with fake mustaches and sombreros and those plastic maracas.

Now the year before, I was actually in Mexico for cinco de mayo and a week of diving. They did even less there. Its an american beer holiday.

Unless you are in Puebla, I guess.

Cinco de Mayo is not a major Mexican holiday, no matter what the beer companies try to tell you. It commemorates a battle between the French and Mexican armies in the state of Puebla. It is NOT Mexican Independence Day, that is September 16. It's mainly been sold in the U.S. as another excuse for beer companies to get you to drink more. In Mexico, other than the state of Puebla, it is only celebrated for the tourists.

Enjoy

Ron

Cinco de Mayo is not a major Mexican holiday, no matter what the beer companies try to tell you. It commemorates a battle between the French and Mexican armies in the state of Puebla. It is NOT Mexican Independence Day, that is September 16. It's mainly been sold in the U.S. as another excuse for beer companies to get you to drink more. In Mexico, other than the state of Puebla, it is only celebrated for the tourists.

Enjoy

Ron

Thank you for your explanation. My husbands ancestors are from Puebla. Therefore we celebrate. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Well that blows next year we dock in Cozmel on that day hoping for a parade or something oh well maybe Breeze will have the Mexican buffet I like the ice sculptures on the last cruise

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Forums mobile app

we Were on the Liberty last Fourth of July. I had a hard time finding a Hot Dog.

No Marcus Anthony doing patriotic songs like only he can do.

Not much red white and blue

No American Flag cupcakes.

We still had a great cruise and loved the Liberty. So they sent it to Puerto Rico. Logical.

We will be on the Sunshine this Fourth, God Willing, and I don't expect any celebration of the Fourth. The vanishing Fourth of July.

Edited by AmberTeka

Well that blows next year we dock in Cozmel on that day hoping for a parade or something oh well maybe Breeze will have the Mexican buffet I like the ice sculptures on the last cruise

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Forums mobile app

We have been in Cozumel on May 5th, we saw no evidence of a holiday being celebrated.