Pisa/Florence (or other suggestions) first time

YTOcruisers

My wife and I are on the Prinsendam and arriving in Livorno on Sep 23 for the first time.

We would like to see the leaning tower of Pisa and Florence (we are open to suggestions for other than Florence) on a tour for around $80 per person.

The tours offered by HAL seem expensive as do the private tours.

Any suggestions?

I would skip Pisa and spend the whole day in Florence. The leaning tower is a tourist trap. You know what is not a tourist trap? Michelangelo's David. Florence is such a great city and so walkable. $80 per person is tough, unless you are planning on taking the train from Livorno to Pisa and then Pisa to Florence. If you are spending $thousands on this cruise, this is a good port to invest a bit more.

Hi,

Also highly recommend Florence...completely magnificent with SO much to do inside/outside; it's just enchanting. If you wish to see another place, there are other combinations like Siena, Lucca, Chianti, many many more. Everyone is looking for a different experience but if I had the opportunity for a day in Florence (and I have already been there) I would grab it in a minute :)

Pisa - I hear too many "skip it" comments and personally, I always have.

I did both. What is considered a tourist trap? It costs nothing to see the leaning tower of Pisa. Some of us want to see it. It brings enjoyment. Who are others to judge? Yes Florence is wonderful too. Three hours six hours really is not going to make much of a difference. We don't like to run around like nuts. We chose the ship's "on your own" bus transfer. Others might not agree with my choice. But it was the right choice for me. Perhaps one day we'll get back to Florence and be able to enjoy the museums at a leisurely pace. But for now we have our short visits to Pisa and Florence and we have lasting memories.

have you joined your ships roll call?

there will probably be people putting together private tours and looking for others to fill a 7/8 seater van which makes much more affordable

Pisa is easy to do in 30 mins as is only 30 miles from Livorno and if your ship docks 8am you can be there by 8.30 for those photos of field of miracles and of course the holding up the tower shot

From there based on the 2 private tours we have done in separate years you can explore further afield

first time we headed for Siena San Gimigiano and Tuscan countryside

second time we headed for Florence

both times back to the ship ahead of the ships tours and cost less than 100 euros per person

My wife and I are on the Prinsendam and arriving in Livorno on Sep 23 for the first time.

We would like to see the leaning tower of Pisa and Florence (we are open to suggestions for other than Florence) on a tour for around $80 per person.

Any suggestions?

Forget Florence. Way too busy and how on earth can you see it in a few hours. Go back and explore it when you have more time.

Instead, if you must, go to Pisa. Forget going up the tower.

Cathedral is free if you buy a ticket to one of the other attractions I.e. the baptistery. Buy the tickets here :

http://www.opapisa.it/en/tickets/a-few-words-of-advice-before-you-buy-your-ticket/

Ensure you try to time your visit to Baptistery to hear the acoustic demonstration.(search online when this might be)

Also think about entering the remarkable camposanto - also purchasable from the site listed above.

2 hours you need here.

Then go to Lucca and enjoy how a city should be.

Far more relaxing and enjoyable than going to Florence.

Any suggestions?

Either choose a small grouped tour to Pisa and Lucca - I.e. minibus - (around 80 euro) which will allow you to save time because the vehicle can enter centre of Pisa unlike the Cruise optional which will have to park in the bus park (then you need to take a shuttle bus) or use public transport - doable and obviously much cheaper buy involves studying logistics and time waiting , or there's a new bus service (started this year) from the centre of Livorno to serve cruise passengers which goes direct to Pisa and Florence or just Pisa. Go to the livorno now info website for details.

Maybe get to Pisa as early as possible to avoid crowds.

Ignore people who say there's nothing other than the the tower to and cathedral to see. They haven't ventured into the town. After a few hundred metres you won't see any other tourists....

But anyway spend the bulk of your time in Lucca...

Siena - another example of how a city should be. But it's too far - you'd spend too much time getting there and coming back. Make a return visit and spend a few days there. San Gimignano - way too touristy at the time of year..

Hi,

Pisa - I hear too many "skip it" comments and personally, I always have.

Sure it's a tourist trap with everyone having to take that shot of themselves supporting the tower.

But as I've mentioned previosily venture more than a few hundred metres into the city and you hardly see any tourists.

And the Campo Di Miracoli contains is one of the most perfect collections of architecture on the planet. Completely unique

You can do it in 90 minutes if pushed....

• 2 weeks later...
Sure it's a tourist trap with everyone having to take that shot of themselves supporting the tower.

But as I've mentioned previosily venture more than a few hundred metres into the city and you hardly see any tourists.

And the Campo Di Miracoli contains is one of the most perfect collections of architecture on the planet. Completely unique

Please could you tell me which direction (from the tower) the Campo Di Miracoli is, as a google map search doesn't find it?

Many thanks

I've never been to Pisa, so I can't comment, but Florence is wonderful. You can easily just do the ship's transportation to the city and explore on your own. You can also find several companies that offer small group walking tours that are a great introduction to the city. Like someone else mentioned, check out your roll call to find others who might want to go in on a private tour. We've done that plenty of time. Great way to keep the cost down and to meet some new people.

True about venturing a couple of blocks out of the "trap". But, not much to see. Spent 5 nights at an agroturismo just outside of Pisa. Did the Campo di Miracoli because the BFF's hubby just had to climb the Tower. Walked among the other buildings there. But no more than maybe an hour and we were out. Our host didn't have an suggestions of other things worth visiting. BUT, we had a nice afternoon at a laundry in town and met some nice locals...

As for Florence: if you told me I would only have 3 hours in Florence, I'd still go. I LOVE that city!!! Pick one place to visit and go. But, leave time to go back to the Mercato Centrale and pick up a sandwich at Nerbonne, maybe pick up some cookies or salumi and cheeses...

BTW - is that avatar a photo of The Countess??? ;)

I would skip Pisa and spend the whole day in Florence. The leaning tower is a tourist trap.

Hmm, the tower was built in the 14th Century. You can stand outside and view and photograph it for free. Hardly a tourist trap. It's charming to see, and I was glad we saw it.

Six of us did a private tour out of Livorno. We left the ship quickly and got to Pisa very early, before the tour buses. We had the place to ourselves, took our photos, and then went on to Florence, where we had hours, including a visit to the Accademia to see the David.

Very do-able.

True about venturing a couple of blocks out of the "trap". But, not much to see.

Well if youve managed to fit in the sites around the tower including the campo Santo, museo dell'Opera del Duomo, Baptistery , Cathedral you've also got:

- Piazza dei Cavallieri

- Chiesa di Santa Della Spina

- Borgo Stretto

- Chiesa di Santa Caterina D'Alessandra

Hmm, the tower was built in the 14th Century. You can stand outside and view and photograph it for free. Hardly a tourist trap. It's charming to see, and I was glad we saw it.

Six of us did a private tour out of Livorno. We left the ship quickly and got to Pisa very early, before the tour buses. We had the place to ourselves, took our photos, and then went on to Florence, where we had hours, including a visit to the Accademia to see the David.

Very do-able.

The tower was started end of C12th.

Pisa and Florence maybe 'doable' in one day, but I'd only recommend to do both if never coming back to this region again.

Pisa and Lucca are more practical to do in a day.

It's a shame if spending only a few hours in Florence.

• 3 weeks later...

This is our first and possibly only trip to Italy. Financially and physically I don't know if we'll ever make it back. We want to see the tower, if only to take pictures and go on to something else.We have known of it all our lives and now we have the chance to see this monument that has always been an icon. We also want some experience of Florence. We will be in Port for 11 hours so we will do our best to see as much as we can in the time we have and we will be happy. 🙂

I did both. What is considered a tourist trap? It costs nothing to see the leaning tower of Pisa. Some of us want to see it. It brings enjoyment. Who are others to judge? Yes Florence is wonderful too. Three hours six hours really is not going to make much of a difference. We don't like to run around like nuts. We chose the ship's "on your own" bus transfer. Others might not agree with my choice. But it was the right choice for me. Perhaps one day we'll get back to Florence and be able to enjoy the museums at a leisurely pace. But for now we have our short visits to Pisa and Florence and we have lasting memories.

I second this. DO NOT MISS THE LEANING TOWER OF PISA. You don't have to spend much time there but it is so much more glorious than I had imagined. One of the highlights of our trip. We were on a land trip and made a train stop from Florence at Pisa on our way to Rome. We left our luggage at the train stop, grabbed a bus out the back of the station for about 3 euros each, I think. They drop you off very close to the tower and you can grab a bus back at your convenience. Watch for pick pockets at the tower area. A young couple had had their passport picked. I felt so bad for them.

Any suggestions?

Your budget is doable if you join a group tour. There is likely one on your roll call looking for folks to join or many companies such as viator.com which offer shared tours.

We joined a small group tour with our roll call. We visited the tower of Pisa and climbed to the top. We coordinated with Aldo from the tour company on what time to purchase tickets. We then headed to Florence which included a stop to purchase wine before arriving in Florence. Our tour was with yourtourinitaly.com. It was a full day and we thoroughly enjoyed it.