Tip about Bar Harbor

RichRita

We have never taken a cruse to Bar harbor But we do go there every year . This year talked to some people on a cruse ship in port . We found out that they paid almost one hundred dollars each for a bus tour . TAKE A HINT you can just walk up to the top of the small hill and get a FREE bus to every thing in the Bar Harbor area . Save the money and buy a lobster for lunch

Rich Zuckett

AND eat that Lobster Lunch at the West Street Cafe. We were on the Dawn visiting Bar Harbor September 25th. We took a ship sponsored Lighthouse Tour from the tender dock. As you walk off the tender dock, turn right and walk less than a block to this location( West St. Cafe). The cruise shopping consultant (Jason) suggested this restaurant. We had a 25 minute wait, but it was certainly worth it, as those leaving the restaurant told us it would be. The food was good and the staff was willing to please. Once we were seated, we were served quickly. Best lobster we had on our 2 week trip from Boston to Quebec and back to Boston.

We have never taken a cruse to Bar harbor But we do go there every year . This year talked to some people on a cruse ship in port . We found out that they paid almost one hundred dollars each for a bus tour . TAKE A HINT you can just walk up to the top of the small hill and get a FREE bus to every thing in the Bar Harbor area . Save the money and buy a lobster for lunch

Rich Zuckett

Great tip Rich.

We also have been to Bar Harbor once from a cruise and several times on our own.

Some people just feel the need to keep the cruise lines in business by taking all their tours, when with a bit of initiative, you can save bundles by doing it yourself.

Cheers

Len

Rich Zuckett

I assume you are talking about the Island Explorer buses, as these are the only free ones I know about? Note that they only run until Columbus Day (Oct 13th this year), and some cruise lines are still doing Canada/NE cruises after this date.

I assume you are talking about the Island Explorer buses, as these are the only free ones I know about? Note that they only run until Columbus Day (Oct 13th this year), and some cruise lines are still doing Canada/NE cruises after this date.

When do these buses start running? We'll be in Bar Harbour on May 7th, next year.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Rich Zuckett

That's all well and good, but what if you want to go Acadia National Park and see Cadillac Mountain? Granted, we would love to walk around Bar Harbor and have a lobster lunch (I plan on eating one every day that I possibly can) but there are still things we would need transportation to. I'm thinking of doing Portland on our own. I hope I'm not making a mistake. I don't plan on booking the ship's tours but private or DIY trips.

• 2 months later...
That's all well and good, but what if you want to go Acadia National Park and see Cadillac Mountain? Granted, we would love to walk around Bar Harbor and have a lobster lunch (I plan on eating one every day that I possibly can) but there are still things we would need transportation to. I'm thinking of doing Portland on our own. I hope I'm not making a mistake. I don't plan on booking the ship's tours but private or DIY trips.

The Island Explorer buses do go to ANP and I believe they go up Cadillac as well. We prefer to hike up.:D

I have a van booked and will share with two other couples from our roll call. :D

That is exactly the way to do it. Go to your roll call and see what others, on your cruise, are planning. If several have the same ideas as you, rent that car or van and go for it.

Cheers

Len

That is exactly the way to do it. Go to your roll call and see what others, on your cruise, are planning. If several have the same ideas as you, rent that car or van and go for it.

Cheers

Len

I booked this through a company that does this...rated very highly on tripadvisor...very reasonably priced compared to ship excursions.

I checked out the West Street Cafe and see they are closed for the season. What is the Season?

I think it's winter. I just checked the website and it's still closed. Under The Current Hours, after stating it is closed for the season, it says: "Its cold here and snowing like #$&%!!!".

I'll be in Bar Harbor in early May so am hoping that it will be open by then.

I checked the website and sent them an e-mail. Here's your answer. Happy to read they'll still be open when we're there. :D

Hello Nancy

Thank you for the inquiry. The restaurant opens for lunch and dinner 7 days a week starting May 15th! Closing date October 27th!

Sincerely,

Kevin

Kevin DesVeaux

West Street Cafe

76 West Street

Bar Harbor Maine 04609

207-288-5242 Restaurant

I checked the website and sent them an e-mail. Here's your answer. Happy to read they'll still be open when we're there. :D

Hello Nancy

Thank you for the inquiry. The restaurant opens for lunch and dinner 7 days a week starting May 15th! Closing date October 27th!

Sincerely,

Kevin

Kevin DesVeaux

West Street Cafe

76 West Street

Bar Harbor Maine 04609

207-288-5242 Restaurant

I sent them an email this morning as well and got the same answer. I was just going to post that but you beat me to it.

Unfortunately, we're there a week prior to opening so we're out of luck.

I sent them an email this morning as well and got the same answer. I was just going to post that but you beat me to it.

Unfortunately, we're there a week prior to opening so we're out of luck.

Great minds think alike. ;)

Sorry they won't be open when you're there. If you go to Acadia Natl' Park, there is another lobster place that is off the beaten path...sorry I do not remember the name of it. The company we booked our van with goes there is people do not want to go to the restaurant in Bar Harbor.

This really makes me laugh. There is a private van that goes to Acadia Nat park. It is cheaper than cruise

there is a restaurant that serves lobster away from crowds. And oh these are all secret because no one will mention the van company or the name of the restaurant name.

This really makes me laugh. There is a private van that goes to Acadia Nat park. It is cheaper than cruise

there is a restaurant that serves lobster away from crowds. And oh these are all secret because no one will mention the van company or the name of the restaurant name.

I did not mention the company I booked the van through..I believe that is against the rules on CC as far as advertising. I do not remember the name of the restaurant or I would certainly mention it. :rolleyes:

Virtually every restaurant in Bar Harbor serves lobster. Galyn's is only a couple of doors down from West Street Cafe and they are open year round. They have a fabulous early bird special for twin lobsters. Also I'd highly recommend Side Street Cafe - also open year round.

Virtually every restaurant in Bar Harbor serves lobster. Galyn's is only a couple of doors down from West Street Cafe and they are open year round. They have a fabulous early bird special for twin lobsters. Also I'd highly recommend Side Street Cafe - also open year round.

Thanks for that info. We had already heard about Side Street Cafe so will try that. The menu had us drooling!