October Whale watch

Jiffymom

I'm almost certain you won't see any whales from the cruise ship when leaving. You'd need to take a dedicated whale watch excursion. Most of them leave from the Long Wharf area which is by the LongWharf Marriott and the Aquarium. Google them, I'm not sure when the best season is or what thier schedules are. The usually head out to the Provincetown area. I can tell you they are fun.

Boston harbor actually has a whale detection system designed to keep large vessels like cruise ships away from the whales. Unless you're on a whale watching boat you're unlikely to see any.

As the previous poster said, they mostly hang out on Stellwagon, certainly not near the harbor. LOL, You might see a seal or two though.

As the previous poster said, they mostly hang out on Stellwagon, certainly not near the harbor. LOL, You might see a seal or two though.

Yes, but every cruise ship in and out of Boston Harbor passes through Stellwagen Bank, and try to route ships to avoid the whales. See http://www.listenforwhales.org/page.aspx?pid=467

Yes, but every cruise ship in and out of Boston Harbor passes through Stellwagen Bank, and try to route ships to avoid the whales. See http://www.listenforwhales.org/page.aspx?pid=467

Thanks for this; very interesting. Actually, I just assumed they would avoid the Stellwagon area.

LOL, you know what they say about "assume"!

Edited by emcee207

• 1 month later...

On our NE cruise (mid October), we spotted some whales on the way to Halifax (way in the distance along with some dolphins). On our way back to Boston, there was a time where the ship went through a pod of whales. There were whales everywhere! Probably doesn't happen a lot, but there are whales to be seen if you are lucky!

It's possible, not likely. On the way back to NYC, we happened to pass by a dolphin pod who decided to play in the bow wake. As luck would have it, we were on the bridge with a Ship Tour and they put them on the screens up there. I doubt anyone else on the ship knew...

It's rare, but I have seen whales during late fall cruises, but only in the St. Lawrence River/Gulf of St. Lawrence. I have not seen them in the Atlantic or near the US ports.

I've seen seals around Bar Harbor and a any number of sea-birds, but whales are less likely to be spotted.