Lerwick, Shetland Isles and Klaksvik, Faroe Islands

Hi

We will be on Jewel of Seas 20 June visiting these islands, and we are looking for information from anyone who has been there recently.

We are considering visiting the brewery in Klaksvik, but not sure what else.

Lerwick, we only have an afternoon, but were wondering if there is any hiking from the town?

What do you recommend? Thanks:)

Hi

We will be on Jewel of Seas 20 June visiting these islands, and we are looking for information from anyone who has been there recently.

Lerwick, we only have an afternoon, but were wondering if there is any hiking from the town?

Hi there, we'll also be on this cruise:) we were looking at the brewery in the Faroe Islands aswell. Looked through a few excursions for the Shetlands but not fully sure, think we'll check the fort out at our own pace

Difficult to get info on these two ports though it seems

Difficult to get info on these two ports though it seems

I haven't been to Shetland for a few years but the local tourist people have a good website http://visit.shetland.org/.

Jarlshof is interesting, and Mousa Broch might also be quite interesting.

Visit Shetland will also post you stuff if you ask.

We have only been to Torshavn : frankly, I thought the Faroes very dull, grim and remote ; my husband did the excursion on a wee boat and loved it. They eat seagulls there you know. But again the Faroese have a good website if you really have to go off the ship :

http://www.faroeislands.com/

You can buy the Sarah Lund jumpers in Torshavn, not sure about elsewhere. Wee bit scratchy though.

We were in Klaksvik last August...for a couple of hours.

We had actually arrived into Torshavn for a full day, but the one and only shortish excursion on offer did not appeal to us so we decided to explore the town and also try to see some more of the islands. It was really the journey which interested us rather than the desination.

We took the bus from Torshavn to Klaksvik and back. In Klaksvik, because it was lunchtime we had approx. 2 hours to kill before our return bus left. We found little of interest and were surprised to find that some ships were actually calling there. Maybe we are hard to please. Cynics that we are, we wondered if it was because they could sell tours to Torshavn!

The bus terminus in Klaksvik is centrally located, the one in Torshavn left from the port and is also central, barely 5 mins walk from the harbour and the older part of town. Torshavn is by far the more attractive of the two towns. We had time to do a little sightseeing in Torshavn before our bus to Klaksvik left, also after we returned.

You would find photos of both towns online, also the Faroes in general. What you see is what you get. Depending on the weather (and it can change in minutes) we found the drive interesting and scenic, passing through several small villages along the way and almost always alongside water. The "distance" buses liaise with the smaller minibuses at certain stops along the way. We crossed several bridges and through the new(ish) tunnel which connects Klaksvik. The "artistic light display" within the tunnel was not as artistic as expected! It is a toll route hence the fairly steep price of the ticket. I just now looked. It is still 90K pp each way.

If the idea interests you and your cruise call is long enough, there is bus info online. Never sure which links can be freely given and which are copyright protected, I suggest you look at the strandfaraskip landsins site and click the "for tourists" section. You will get bus routes, timetables etc and you can fill in a from/to section for pricing if you decide to visit other places instead of Torshavn.

We enjoyed our day there. It The Faroes were in some ways similar to other destinations we have visited, but different too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Hi

Found this thread and I'm hoping one of you from last year's Jewel is still subscribed to this thread. We are von the Brilliance in July (2013) and I'm hoping you can share what you did in the two ports. Thanks in advance.

Steve

Found this thread and I'm hoping one of you from last year's Jewel is still subscribed to this thread. We are von the Brilliance in July (2013) and I'm hoping you can share what you did in the two ports. Thanks in advance.

Steve

Hi Steve

For these 2 stops we did our own thing.

For Lerwick we went to bus station and got on No.7 bus I think and did a ride to end and he had a short break in a small shop and came back, not much to see but sheep and open land but a good ride and every ine talked on the bus to you.

For stop Klaksvik we also wnt to bus station and got a ticket to Capital: Tórshavn now this was a good trip as you cover 3 islands and the road is under the sea (no bridges) and the Capital has some good places to look at port and the old part of the town and

getting around in Tórshavn is easy with the free local buses.

I did see your post about taking bus to Torvshan. How long was the ride? I don't want to pull too close. Any problem with using English on the bus?

Getting psyched to see new (and cool!) places (literally) in July.

Steve

A number 400 bus now runs from Klaksvík to Tórshavn, with 11 departures on weekdays and five at the weekend. trip about 1 1/2 hours http://www.ssl.fo/default.asp?sida=3050 .

Its the American who don't speak another language you will find no problems but you will need their money

In Lerwick, this trip is most definitely worthwhile. I wasn't on a cruise when I did it, but there's no reason why you shouldn't do it if your cruise call makes it feasible.

I am so happy you said that. We are all signed up to take the tour on August 19. We have exchanged some emails. They couldn't be nicer to deal with. The only disappointment is the puffins will probably be gone by then.

Thank you, also, for your many posts on this board. They are so helpful.

Marilyn

In Lerwick, this trip is most definitely worthwhile. I wasn't on a cruise when I did it, but there's no reason why you shouldn't do it if your cruise call makes it feasible.

As I trust your advice, Globaliser, I have enquired about making a booking in July. Thanks.

Archived