Island Windjammer now has a fleet!

SailorJM

Tall-ship cruise sailors now have another reason to be be excited. Island Windjammers has added a second sailing ship: the Sagitta! IWJ came onboard three years ago....a new company of former Windjammer Barefoot Cruises sailors and crew who had a vision of keeping the WBC sailing experience alive after WBC went out of business (2007).

Those who've sailed on Diamant know that IWJ has done that so well. And yesterday, IWJ unveiled its acquisition of the triple-masted, 20-passenger Sagitta, another gorgeous sailing ship.

For those who love sailing cruises, life has gotten so much better in the last couple of months with the addition of Windjammer Sailing Adventures (another company made up of former WBC sailors and crews) and WSA's return of the late WBC's tall-ship Mandalay to the cruising ranks.....and now the expansion by Island Windjammers....Three fantastic tall-ships sailing the Caribbean. LIFE IS GOOD!

Yes, Life is Good! I am so thrilled that we have so many sailing options, I booked the Mandalay for next August because it is our favorite ship and will be celebrating our 40th anniversary. I am happy that Island Windjammer is expanding and glad to hear that they will be sailing the new ship out of St Maarten.

Mandalay was our favorite Windjammer Barefoot Cruises ship, too. When WBC went away, we found Arabella and sailed her twice (New England coast and out of St. Thomas), until she was put up for sale late last year. Then we sailed Island Windjammer's Diamant: So much fun, we're sailing her again in November for one of her longer sails. For a time it appeared that IWJ would be buying Arabella, but Sagitta is a welcome addition, yes! Now if only someone would get Arabella under way once again, and an extra bonus would be retaining Arabella's New England and St. Thomas itineraries. Those were SWEET!

I hope you get a chance to try em all! Sun on your face, cool breezes and the wind in your hair, with adventurous like-minded passengers...what could be better!??

• 6 months later...

Sagitta is Island Windjammers' 2nd ship and continues the wonderful mix of casual fun and super crew. Sagitta has 10 standard cabins all with portholes, en suite bathrooms and in cabin controlled air conditioning. Two new interior solo cabins share a bathroom. The deluxe Owner's Cabin has a king bed, 4 large portholes, beverage refrigerator, TV, dresser, desk and a tile and granite bathroom.

The itinerary includes St Bart’s, St Kitts, Nevis, St. Eustatius and Anguilla. Every port except St Bart’s and Anguilla offers excursions, but you can have a great time doing nothing except relaxing on the ship or enjoying the beautiful beaches.

The ship is gorgeous and very comfortable with lots of indoor and outdoor areas to relax. Most meals are served on the top deck aft dining area. And speaking of food, it is amazing! The crew was professional, safety conscious and lots of fun.

I’ve been able to sail Sagitta twice, 1st on one of the shakedown cruises in December 2012 and again in February. I stayed in the Owners Cabin which I loved and in a standard cabin which was very comfortable with plenty of space to store my stuff. I can’t wait to go back and sail again!

I'm so jealous, but I'm excited to say we'll be sailing on Sagitta starting May 26. We've been to St. Bart's twice before and rented ATVs to explore this beautiful 8-sq-mile island! Lots a fun!! And if you know where to look or who to ask, you can find the ruins of what once was Jimmy Buffett's bar and restaurant (burned many years ago), with a gorgeous panoramic 300-degree view of the Caribbean.

• 3 weeks later...

I am so glad to hear that the Mandalay is sailing again. We saw her sitting down in the Galapagos when we went just wasting away. It was so sad to see such an amazing ship sitting there. This made my day and I hope to sail on one of these ships soon. I have always wanted to do a Windjammer type cruise and I'm so glad that now I have the chance again with these new companies.

Archived