Best way to get to Maho Beach from Port

Years ago we did a complete island tour, booked at the pier, with Elvis when we were there with a group of 12 or 13.

Even earlier we were there on a Windjammer and just spent the day downtown in an upstairs bar looking out over The Clock.

Sometimes we just do that now.

A couple visits ago I booked with Beulah for her lunch time special tour for $10 and it was well worth it. It appears to gone way up to $12 now.

Next time we may just walk or taxi over to Palm Court Gardens.

gary

To stop the start of any confusion Gary is answering a question about St. Kitts. :)

I read this 3 times thinking that I was on the wrong board before I realized that back a few posts St. Kitts was mentioned. :)

• 2 months later...

Just returned from St. Marteen. We walked down the main shopping area and saw a van which had a wooden sign in front window which read "Maho Beach". We waved it down, and rode public "bus" to traffic circle just by Maho beach, cost was $2 a person. Sweet. After spending time there, we walked back to traffic circle area and within two minutes a public bus/van "Phillipsburg" in window. $2 back, SWEET!! Some people think taxi is better for $30. Not me.

Just returned from St. Marteen. We walked down the main shopping area and saw a van which had a wooden sign in front window which read "Maho Beach". We waved it down, and rode public "bus" to traffic circle just by Maho beach, cost was $2 a person. Sweet. After spending time there, we walked back to traffic circle area and within two minutes a public bus/van "Phillipsburg" in window. $2 back, SWEET!! Some people think taxi is better for $30. Not me.

Going in January with a party of 15. Bus probably won't be an option because of the number of us. Do you think they can call a second bus when they see how many? Also did you have to take the water taxi from the cruise terminal then take the bus?

How often do the buses run and is there an accurate schedule?

Thanks. :)

I had never seen a schedule posted at a bus stop so I didn't think that there was a schedule. Sounds like the poster above got lucky not having to wait for a bus in either direction.

How often do you think buses run from Philipsburg to Maho and back and how many people can fit in each? Also, is there any mention of improving the public transportation system on the island? Might be time for this.

• 2 weeks later...

Quick question, we have a group of 6 including one 4 year old and are planning on going to Maho beach. We've done a tour previously and are not interested in that again.

Our concern is about our 4 year old and a car seat. I know if we book a tour/reserve a driver for the day we can guarantee one. What are the chances of finding a taxi each way having one? Obviously that would be cheaper but the car seat is key,.

thanks

Quick question, we have a group of 6 including one 4 year old and are planning on going to Maho beach. We've done a tour previously and are not interested in that again.

Our concern is about our 4 year old and a car seat. I know if we book a tour/reserve a driver for the day we can guarantee one. What are the chances of finding a taxi each way having one? Obviously that would be cheaper but the car seat is key,.

thanks

I don't think that you could count on just randomly finding a taxi that happened to have a car seat available, but you might be able to find a taxi at the Cruise Facility Taxi Dispatch area that has car seats, and make arrangements with that driver to return to pick you up at a scheduled time.

gary

Thanks. :)

I had never seen a schedule posted at a bus stop so I didn't think that there was a schedule. Sounds like the poster above got lucky not having to wait for a bus in either direction.

How often do you think buses run from Philipsburg to Maho and back and how many people can fit in each? Also, is there any mention of improving the public transportation system on the island? Might be time for this.

Hey. :)

Finally realized that there appears to be a question for me in there.

As I've referenced, no set schedule.

Sometimes there are two busses together, hopscotching each other at each bus stop. Sometimes long gaps.

I think a bus/van holds about 10 passengers.

Is there mention of improving the system? OF COURSE, but so far it has been all 'mention' and no action. :(

gary

• 3 weeks later...

thanks

Please go to your local Walmart or Amazon.com and buy a bubble bum inflatable booster seat for your child. You cannot trust a car seat from a cabbie (if you are lucky enough to find one.) Bring your own inflatable booster so the seatbelt hits your 4 year old in the correct spot. They don't take up much room. We bring 1 for our 5 year old and 1 for our 8 year old.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
Ninaboo, did you do this in March? What was the outcome???

So my plan was to take the public bus for 2.00 but this was our last stop of the week and when we got off and walked the pier we were just ready to go and saw the lines for taxi and if there are enough people it was 7 pp and it definitely was enough people lined up so we just folded into the line and took the taxi readily available right there... went to airplane beach enjoyed it... had pizza at the bar next door and hopped the taxi back and the traffic was rough both ways... honestly we ended up spending 28 dollars compared to 8 but it was just worth it to us to not have to wonder and search for the right public bus... walk to get to it...and find one to go back.

• 1 month later...
So my plan was to take the public bus for 2.00 but this was our last stop of the week and when we got off and walked the pier we were just ready to go and saw the lines for taxi and if there are enough people it was 7 pp and it definitely was enough people lined up so we just folded into the line and took the taxi readily available right there... went to airplane beach enjoyed it... had pizza at the bar next door and hopped the taxi back and the traffic was rough both ways... honestly we ended up spending 28 dollars compared to 8 but it was just worth it to us to not have to wonder and search for the right public bus... walk to get to it...and find one to go back.

Nice feedback- I will probably do the same then.

Hey. :)

Finally realized that there appears to be a question for me in there.

As I've referenced, no set schedule.

Sometimes there are two busses together, hopscotching each other at each bus stop. Sometimes long gaps.

I think a bus/van holds about 10 passengers.

Is there mention of improving the system? OF COURSE, but so far it has been all 'mention' and no action. :(

gary

A 10 passenger bus with 5 ships in port even with 2 "hopscotching" each other at each bus stop doesn't make me want to walk 15 minutes to catch it to save $5 and take the seat of someone trying to get to work. It's really surprising that St.Maarten/St. Martin does not have a bigger and better bus system by now.

• 2 weeks later...
A 10 passenger bus with 5 ships in port even with 2 "hopscotching" each other at each bus stop doesn't make me want to walk 15 minutes to catch it to save $5 and take the seat of someone trying to get to work. It's really surprising that St.Maarten/St. Martin does not have a bigger and better bus system by now.

The bus system of St. Maarten works for them. It just isn't like a bus system in a metropolitan area elsewhere. The buses are actually privately owned vans. They stop where you want them to stop. They pick up passengers who signal them to stop. No need for a schedule as they are plentyfull.

Cost for taking the bus from Back Street to Maho is $2pp each way. The Water Taxi is $7 for all day transport into P'burg from the cruise ship area. This is up to date info.

The bus system of St. Maarten works for them. It just isn't like a bus system in a metropolitan area elsewhere. The buses are actually privately owned vans. They stop where you want them to stop. They pick up passengers who signal them to stop. No need for a schedule as they are plentyfull.

Cost for taking the bus from Back Street to Maho is $2pp each way. The Water Taxi is $7 for all day transport into P'burg from the cruise ship area. This is up to date info.

I have had many locals tell me if the bus system was better there wouldn't be so much traffic on the island because more people would rely on the bus.

Edited by Karysa

How long do you recommend visiting Maho Beach for? I've never been before although I have been to St. Maarten but only visited Philipsburg.

I am trying to decide between a tour with Bernard's that includes 45 mins at Maho Beach or taking the ferry/bus and just doing Maho.

So hard to decide and I would appreciate any input!

How long do you recommend visiting Maho Beach for? I've never been before although I have been to St. Maarten but only visited Philipsburg.

I am trying to decide between a tour with Bernard's that includes 45 mins at Maho Beach or taking the ferry/bus and just doing Maho.

So hard to decide and I would appreciate any input!

We have visited St M several times -- we've done the island tour and now we go directly (by Taxi) to Maho Beach -- specifically Sunset Bar and Grill and spend the entire time we are at the port. The music is great and Desperado beer is the best in the world! (I am not biased by any means! ) -- although they've stopped selling the basic Desperado -- so sad! the 'other' bar and grill at the opposite end of Maho Beach (just a few steps away) now sells the plain Desperado so we will go there on our next visit.

We love just hanging out visiting and watching the planes and jets land - -just a 'Margaritaville' kinda day -- fun and lots of R&R......the largest jets do not come in till after 1:00 so when our departure time is at 5:00 we leave the bar at 3:00 to give us plenty of time to return to ship -- so we might not get to see the largest jets that time but it is still lots of fun.

There are PLENTY of taxis and vans waiting to take folks back to the ship -- very organized.

Hope this is the info you were looking for.

Is there a taxi stand in the Maho Beach area to take a taxi back to the cruise port, or do you have to make arrangements beforehand?

Thanks,

-John

Yes -- a parking lot full of taxis and vans waiting to take passengers back to the ship -- you do not need to set up a plan in advance