No Shadow in Feb/April 2017

CrusinPaul

We are booked on the April 4th, Hong Kong round trip, but have been told it may be chartered. Since it's off the calendar and other websites, it's most likely going to happen.

Silversea contacted us two days ago and informed us the Shadow has been chartered for several sailings in Feb 2017. I have never heard of passengers being "bumped" from a sailing like this. I know that ships are chartered but those sailings never get posted for booking by the general public. Silversea is trying to rebook us but the sailings (so far) are either at a time we cannot go, or do not include our one "must see" port - Ha Long Bay. I have cruised over 35 times and this would be my first Silversea and my BF's first cruise. I have already purchased airfare and we are in the process of resolving this with Silversea. Our agent has been very nice but I'm now very concerned that I simply cannot trust Silversea. Welcome comments from others on this situation as we find it unbelievable.

It's not unbelievable, but it is terrible. With air arrangements already made, you are really in a scary situation. I usually think that there's too much unjustifiable whining on this board, but certainly not in this case.

Please let us know how SS resolves this.

Silversea contacted us two days ago and informed us the Shadow has been chartered for several sailings in Feb 2017. I have never heard of passengers being "bumped" from a sailing like this. I know that ships are chartered but those sailings never get posted for booking by the general public. Silversea is trying to rebook us but the sailings (so far) are either at a time we cannot go, or do not include our one "must see" port - Ha Long Bay. I have cruised over 35 times and this would be my first Silversea and my BF's first cruise. I have already purchased airfare and we are in the process of resolving this with Silversea. Our agent has been very nice but I'm now very concerned that I simply cannot trust Silversea. Welcome comments from others on this situation as we find it unbelievable.

Chartering after a cruise is open for booking happens with some regularity throughout the industry. Usually, but not always, they do it early enough that most people haven't booked airfare.

Typically, the cruise line will work with you to find alternates dates and give you some onboard credit for your troubles. If you've already purchased nonrefundable airfare they may compensate you for that, or pay the rebooking fees.

We got bumped off the first half of a back to back, and as a concession were allowed to keep the 5% back to back discount. However my TA and I both ran up against a brick wall with the UK Guest Relations Manager in trying to get them to cover some relatively minor incidentals relating to flight and hotel rebooking, and less than £100 of additional travel costs. Their attitude stunk. Thankfully the individual concerned has 'moved on'.

We also got the news Friday that we were bumped for on the Shadow April 5th Cruise. Silversea has offered an additional 40% discount on 2016 and 20% on 2017. The problem with 2016 is that we were not planning on a trip this year, plus the voyages we would have chosen are waitlisted or have limited availability. They should have warned booked passengers that a there was a potential of a charter. I noticed that these voyages had dropped off the website sometime ago.

We were given until May 30th to "take advantage" of the above discounts.

We are in a similar situation with planning a trip of this length in 2017, not 2016 when we already have a wedding to attend and other plans.

Also, the main driver for this sailing was Ha Long Bay, along with our ability to be away from work at that time, and for that length of a trip. It's not like we're popping down to FL or even the west coast - this is 1/2 way around the world. The reason I booked flights so early was to ensure business class and the flights I wanted. We are looking at a Celebrity Millenium sailing now out of Hong Kong to Singapore that leaves Feb 11 - would be able to keep current outbound flights (the most problematic to change) and the hotel reservations at least.

I feel sorry for people who might have booked a honeymoon, anniversary, or other celebration event.

This "news" is only 10 months from sailing, when all air schedules are published and people can book flights. We all know that many things can happen that are not a cruise lines' fault. That is not the case here. This charter customer is obviously VERY, VERY important to Silversea to boot passengers off of multiple sailings (and probably a few longtime SS passengers among them). What if we re-book and this customer strolls in and wants to charter that sailing?

As I said in my initial posting, I'm not sure I can trust Silversea to deliver. I've been cruising since the 1980's and have never experienced that feeling with a cruise line until now.

In 2013 we were also 'bumped' off the Shadow in the Far East due to a charter. We had booked flights (using air miles). We were very fortunate to be able to find availability on the following cruise which was the reverse schedule of the one we'd originally booked as well as being able to change the flights. Our TA and SS handled it all very well - all our incidental expenses were met - airline change fees etc- and we also got substantial OBC as compensation as well as a discount on the fare.

Does this mean that the much needed and twice delayed refit has been delayed once again? Only the shops have had recent refurbishment.

People were grumbling in November last year.If something is not done soon I suspect there will be a full scale mutiny at sea!!

I was on the Shadow in April and have heard from passengers who remained aboard that they hit bad weather and many of the suites were flooded due to bad seals on the balcony doors. Took days to dry them out and then the stench remained even longer. Instead of chartering out that ship she needs to be dry docked for a total renovation. She is old, tired and dated and only the superb service begins to make up for it.

Good morning all. As promised, here is an update on my previous post on this thread:

I just replied to another thread about the Silver Shadow sailings in early 2017 being cancelled. I have spent the last week trying to come to a resolution with Silversea. I had already purchased airline tickets ($$ for outbound, return with miles) and a non-refundable hotel. I normally don't do non-refundable hotels but the deal we received was so good at a 5 star hotel that i didn't want to pass up. I provided proof of all of these arrangements to Silversea.

What did I get? Absolutely nothing right now - any "compensation" would have been in the form of an onboard credit on a new booking, AND I could not get them to include the hotel - only the air - in my "compensation". They refunded my deposit.

That doesn't help me now. I am a longtime RCI and Celebrity cruiser (since 1988). We looked at a Celebrity sailing around the same time and similar itinerary but decided to try Silversea because we wanted a different experience (smaller ship) on this particular trip. Well, we got a different experience for sure. It is clear to me that Silversea does not care how they inconvenience their passengers. They allowed this ship to be chartered, bumping all booked passengers off of it, after airline schedules were published. Luckily for us, Celebrity had availability on their sailing and I only need to change the return flight. Royal Caribbean and Celebrity have never disappointed me.

Needless to say, we will never, ever consider Silversea again because I cannot depend on them to deliver their end of the deal.