Best small cruise ships

gusjakefred

Although Crystal ships have 1000 capacity, they have very good singles supplements (135%) so there are many singles on each cruise which brings the normal capacity into your ~800 range. Additionally, they have very spacious common areas which makes it even less crowded. Add to that few kids ( even though they have a good children's program) and you feel at times you are on a private yacht! It is expensive but drinks, tips, 2 specialty dining reservations , exceptional lectures, etc are included in fare, along with frequent cruiser discounts, two for one fares, which make the fare more affordable but still not cheap.

DH and I have enjoyed the Maine Windjammer Cruises, yes you get to hoist the sails, and they are an expensive cruise, but it's not really a "cruise", it's going back in time. learning to get back to nature, educational, exceptional regional food, and you can help or not. Depending on how you feel. My mantra is "cookies at two". It's not luxury, it's just wonderful. All dining together, story telling, art classes, star gazing, checking out the lighthouses along the Maine coast. No, I am with you, dont love big ships at all, but a good small ship, sailing under the winds power really makes you understand how far we humans have come in the last 100 years.

If you want to cruise in Alaska, you could do a trip on the Alaska Marine Highway ferries. I have used them for transportation and they are really neat. However, think transportation and not cruising but you will meet interesting people and get to stop in ports that the cruise lines do not stop at.

DON

Another question: never sailed Crystal - any opinions out there???

thanks!

gusjakefred

Crystal is great. Their experience is really unlike any mass market line, even when/if their itineraries are the same -- the spaciousness (just over half the passenger load of other ships the same size), the quality of food, the amount and quality of service, and the overall atmosphere make it well worth the extra price, IMO. I particularly enjoyed the calm onboard atmosphere - no crowds, no announcements, etc - and the low single supplement.

They are bigger than you mentioned though - just about 1000 people on a larger ship (about 68,000 GT).

DH and I have enjoyed the Maine Windjammer Cruises, yes you get to hoist the sails, and they are an expensive cruise, but it's not really a "cruise", it's going back in time. learning to get back to nature, educational, exceptional regional food, and you can help or not. Depending on how you feel. My mantra is "cookies at two". It's not luxury, it's just wonderful. All dining together, story telling, art classes, star gazing, checking out the lighthouses along the Maine coast. No, I am with you, dont love big ships at all, but a good small ship, sailing under the winds power really makes you understand how far we humans have come in the last 100 years.

My first cruise ever was on the Lewis R French. It was wonderful.

DON

If you get to the UK, there's a number of lines with small ships. Some, however, are adult only, including the P&O "R" ship, Adonia. Most are inexpensive, compared to the small luxury lines. Check Saga (adult), Cruise and Maritime, Fred Olsen, Voyages/Discovery, Voyages/Antiquity, Swan Hellenic.

I am surprised no one has mentioned Paul Gauguin Cruise Line. They have two small ships, the Gauguin at 330 pax and the Tere Mona at 88 pax. I have not been on the Tere Mona, but the Gauguin is fabulous.

Rick

I was on the PG earlier this year and wouldn't recommend it. The food, service, and overall vibe were very mass market in nature.

Funny. I am booked on PG for the South Pacific next year. Heard wonderful things!

Keep your expectations tempered. Unfortunately there are some cheerleaders who would say it wasn't their fault if the ship hit a known and mapped rock and sunk.

I was on the PG earlier this year and wouldn't recommend it. The food, service, and overall vibe were very mass market in nature.

Funny. I am booked on PG for the South Pacific next year. Heard wonderful things!

Agree with Ducklite. I didn't mention PG because I wouldn't recommend it. They don't even come close to living up to their marketing. Found it very mass market like and the service wasn't good. An expensive and disappointing experience. I wouldn't book with them again.

I am very sorry to here this. We were on the PG when she was new, but she has been sold twice since then. Too bad / sad she has gone down hill!

Rick