Cannot believe I have to ask this, but.......

zebraman1

Cannot believe how we screwed ths up! We're platinum with 20+ cruises under our belt. Sailing in 10 days and just realized that mine and our two kid's passports expired two months ago! How does this happen? Lol. Anyway, I'm confident that our original, birth certificants with raised seal and drivers lisence will get us on and off ship butI need everyone's reassurance, we've always used our passports so this is new to us. Folks, please assure us that BC and DL still will do the trick. I totally recognize that if there's an emergency or miss the ship that We're screwed. I just never had to worry about this until now.,,,thanks in advance!

Cannot believe how we screwed ths up! We're platinum with 20+ cruises under our belt. Sailing in 10 days and just realized that mine and our two kid's passports expired two months ago! How does this happen? Lol. Anyway, I'm confident that our original, birth certificants with raised seal and drivers lisence will get us on and off ship butI need everyone's reassurance, we've always used our passports so this is new to us. Folks, please assure us that BC and DL still will do the trick. I totally recognize that if there's an emergency or miss the ship that We're screwed. I just never had to worry about this until now.,,,thanks in advance!

You will be fine with BC and DL. If this was my mental lapse, I would bring the expired passport too - just for if there is an emergency. Having the expired passport most likely would help in getting an expedited passport replacement if that emergency arises.

Always traveled on passport, however the people we ate with once swore by the BC and DL method. Just try to be onboard an hour or two before the ship is scheduled to leave. Bring the old one just in case, God forbid, something happens. They can get you a new one faster as long as you bring the old one.

You'll have an amazing cruise, hope it's smooth sailing!

I have a passport but i have used BC & DL 6 out of 8 cruises with no problem. My Mom has used her BC & DL for every cruise she has ever been on.

Have fun!

Yes you are fine as long as you start and end in the US. My kids still cruise with BC and bring their drivers licenses as well. Never had a problem. We cruise twice a year

Not completely true. If you start and return to the same US port (called a closed loop cruise) then you will be fine. If you start in one US port and end in another, you do need a passport. And if you go on a cruise that stops in Canada, you need a passport.

I have a passport but i have used BC & DL 6 out of 8 cruises with no problem. My Mom has used her BC & DL for every cruise she has ever been on.

Have fun!

Getting on the ship with a proper BC and DL is what most do. She never had a "problem" because nothing out of the normal has occurred like an accident or illness in a foreign country.

Raised seal...... doesn't mean they will take it. Make sure it is an official copy from the vital stats office of the county in which you were born. Hospital copies or photo copies will not work.

Copies are allowed under the DHS regulations and CCL makes it clear that they will take legible copies. I have read of many people who left their documentation at home that had their trip saved because someone was able to fax the birth certificate to the port.

Not completely true. If you start and return to the same US port (called a closed loop cruise) then you will be fine. If you start in one US port and end in another, you do need a passport. And if you go on a cruise that stops in Canada, you need a passport.

Stopping in Canada is the same as stopping in any port in the caribbean- if it's a closed loop cruise a birth certificate and government ID work just fine for a US citizen. What you may be referring to is if someone is on an Alaska cruise and wants to take a shore excursion into Canada then they will need a passport, passport card or Enhanced Drivers License.

OP, if something happens and you need to fly back then you won't be screwed, you will be delayed while the Consulate does some paperwork to get you on a plane. How long you are delayed depends on the facts and circusmstances but the regulations do contain provisions that allow the State Department to waive the passport requirements in the event of an emergency or for humanitarian reasons. You would be helped by the fact that you've had a passport before as your information will already be in their system for them to verify. Rest assured that the risks of something happening are very low for most people and many travel on closed loop cruises with their birth certificates and government issued photo ID.

Getting on the ship with a proper BC and DL is what most do. She never had a "problem" because nothing out of the normal has occurred like an accident or illness in a foreign country.

Nothing out of the normal occurred because the fact is nothing out of the normal occurs for the vast majority of passengers.

Nothing out of the normal occurred because the fact is nothing out of the normal occurs for the vast majority of passengers.

Right. My reference was because having no problems might be misinterpreted by some to not bother spend the money for a passport as they might feel the BC would do the same thing in an abnormal situation.

I have often seen the comment that the Consulate will in a sense take care of you if you don't have a passport? Are there Consulates in every port?

No there are not, which is one of the factors one must take into account when deciding what documentation to use.

Right. My reference was because having no problems might be misinterpreted by some to not bother spend the money for a passport as they might feel the BC would do the same thing in an abnormal situation.

Thanks for the clarification:).