Bridge Controls.

I have seen many pictures of the bridge of cruise ships of RCI.

And in in all of the pictures you can see little/big joysticks at the sides of all the chairs.

Can they control the ship ( the azipods ) with those joysticks or do they have another purpose?

Thanks alot,

DutchCruiseFan.

This is a shot of the bridge controls on the port bridge wing of the Celebrity Eclipse (most ships now are similar).

?tn=-360690438

The 2 black 'blobs' by the officers right hand are the controls for the 2 azipods...turn them to get direction and use the silver handle as a thrust lever. In front of his left hand is the control for the bow thruster...just move the lever left or right. Contolling a ship has now become as easy as a video game...almost!:D

Simon

Just finish a bridge tour of the Navigator. Joy stick does, indeed, control the ship..there are two other sets of controls..one on the port side and one on the starboard side of the flying bridge for when the ship is entering a port. Additionally, despite all the technology, every ship still prepare paper charts for each voyage in the event of any computer glitches.

Additionally, despite all the technology, every ship still prepare paper charts for each voyage in the event of any computer glitches.

I could be wrong, but I believe that is a legal requirement in international law, in case of accidents...to prevent computers getting wiped 'accidentally'!

Simon

All mariners should know how to read and use paper charts. DH is a retired US Navy Captain and they had to learn to use them because they actually did use them lol.

And, yes, we've been on 3 bridge tours and the joy stick is discussed on them. People are shocked that that's how they maneuver, but it is.

I could be wrong, but I believe that is a legal requirement in international law, in case of accidents...to prevent computers getting wiped 'accidentally'!

Simon

Not really. SOLAS allows the use of ECDIS electronic charts as the prime means of navigation, but requires a backup method if electronic charts are used as primary. This backup can be either paper charts or a second ECDIS unit. However, most shipping companies, in their International Safety Management (ISM) systems require paper charts as backup. So, while it is industry standard, it is not legally required.

When i am on the cruise with the splendour next week, and i ask for a bridge tour at the desk, is there a chance i will get one?

Thanks for all the replies btw.

Bridge Tours are a perk for Diamond Plus guests. It never hurts to ask, but not really likely. If you are a frequent cruiser, go to the Loyalty Ambassador and see. Possible there would be an opening. But all ships offer a "Behind the Scenes Tour." It's $150 and is about a 3 hour tour of the entire ship. It includes the bridge. A friend took it in May on Rhapsody and really enjoyed it.

Additionally, despite all the technology, every ship still prepare paper charts for each voyage in the event of any computer glitches.

Yes, and there's even a ship's wheel in the center of the bridge, but it looks so tiny for such a large ship. Not what you'd expect.

If anyone has an opportunity for a bridge tour, they're quite interesting.

NICE!!!!!

Then one question, how can a joystick control the azipods?

I can't imagine how that would work out well.

Thanks for all the answers.

It's not a joystick like you think of from a video game. There is a lever that controls the power applied to the propeller, and this lever is mounted on a ball about the size of a cricket (or base) ball. The person maneuvering the ship swivels the ball and the azipods swivel to match. So this combined control, called a joystick in the industry, controls both the power and direction of the pods, with one hand.

Not really. SOLAS allows the use of ECDIS electronic charts as the prime means of navigation, but requires a backup method if electronic charts are used as primary. This backup can be either paper charts or a second ECDIS unit. However, most shipping companies, in their International Safety Management (ISM) systems require paper charts as backup. So, while it is industry standard, it is not legally required.

Like I said "I could be wrong..." and was!!:D

When i am on the cruise with the splendour next week, and i ask for a bridge tour at the desk, is there a chance i will get one?

Thanks for all the replies btw.

Go to Guest Relations on your first day and ask if you can be put on the list for a bridge tour (just ask nicely). Everyone we have told to do this has always got a tour.

Simon

It's not a joystick like you think of from a video game. There is a lever that controls the power applied to the propeller, and this lever is mounted on a ball about the size of a cricket (or base) ball. The person maneuvering the ship swivels the ball and the azipods swivel to match. So this combined control, called a joystick in the industry, controls both the power and direction of the pods, with one hand.

I have seen pictures where you have a joystick on the left, and ball on the right, is that ball for directing the azipods?

Just finish a bridge tour of the Navigator. Joy stick does, indeed, control the ship..there are two other sets of controls..one on the port side and one on the starboard side of the flying bridge for when the ship is entering a port.

There are also controls in the stern which can be used for backing into slips (or as in the case of the Quantum leaving the shipyard, piloting the ship backwards. The tugs, in that case, did much of the work, but the azipods and thrusters helped them downriver).

But what did your DH think about driving a ship by Joystick vice the good old ships wheel? I spent more than one watch standing in front of old wheel and just not sure now I would do it with a joy stick.

First time he saw it he was totally into learning about it. He wasn't really surprised but it is different than he was used to. Of course, when he stood duty he didn't actually drive the ship but he was responsible for who did and for where it went. He actually got off active duty as an O-3 in 1985 and went reserve so he never actually was a CO of a ship, but he was a CO of 3 different reserve units and did some more sea time for his AT time. He was a Surface Warfare Officer (SWO). He wishes they had the computer equipment they do now.

We love bridge tours and have had them everytime we've been in a Suite (except once on EX for a Member's cruise when there were so many D+ and above that we kind of got screwed out of some of the perks we were used to) I love the fact they do them while underway so we can see how they use their equipment.

Back-ups are good for voyage planning as well. As USS GUARDIAN found out a couple years ago, there might be some discrepancies and inaccuracies with the digital database - which would become apparent if compared to the paper charts.

I have seen pictures where you have a joystick on the left, and ball on the right, is that ball for directing the azipods?

Couldn't say, without seeing a picture of the controls. It could be that the joystick is really just the power lever and the ball is the directional. That would be more common at the center control station, as at sea, you wouldn't need to control the azipods separately. The wing stations, each azipod can be controlled separately, so that one can be going ahead and one astern, for example. Also, some ships have a "dynamic positioning" mode, where you use a joystick for control, and the computer actually adjusts the thrust and direction of the pods and thrusters to do what your joystick is commanding.