Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Caribbean > Barbados

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old October 19th, 2005, 09:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Question Local Artisan Suggestions?

We like to pick up a souvenir or two made by local artisans. Any suggestions?

February 2014 - Jewel of the Seas

Past: Serenade - 1/12, Rhapsody-5/10 (Alaska), Adventure-1/09, Serenade-1/06, Explorer-1/05, Adventure-1/04, Enchantment-1/02, CCL Ecstacy-4/00, CCL Paradise-4/99

Old October 19th, 2005, 11:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

If you are into pottery, I suggest Earthworks Pottery. They make some really beautiful items from mugs to plates to toothbrush holders, vases, water pitchers, just to name a few.

Bill Grace has some sculptures that are made form coral and rock among other things that many people enjoy. (not sure where to find his items)

Jill Walker, while not born in Barbados, is widely known for her local art (she has been here long enough to be considered a Bajan). Her paintings and prints come not only in picture form but also on Placemats, among other things. Jill Walker prints can be found at any Best of Barbados Shop (there is one in the cruise terminal)

You might want to visit Zemicon Gallary (not sure when they are open) which is on Hincks Street not to far from the Cruise Terminal if you are looking for paintings.

Pelican Village is just beyond the main gates and it's mostly local arts and crafts. Earthworks is located off of Shop Hill in St. Thomas. Any taxi driver can get you there, no problem. They have their workshop/shop and The Potters house, which also displays and sells some other local aritists things. There is a place to have lunch upstairs and a batik artist studio and sales area downstairs.

Good luck.

Old October 21st, 2005, 02:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

I am drinking coffee as I write this out of a lovely mug I got at Highland Pottery. They had some really nice stuff, I also got a pottery flying fish ornament that I really like. I stopped there on an island tour I did last year, don't remember the tour operator, but it went on to Bathsheba after the pottery. The eastern side of the island is very interesting, the topography almost reminds me of Arizona with an oceanview! Lots of arid hills and cacti.