Barbuda pink sand beaches

Ski Mom 2

We are on a WS cruise at the end of the month stopping in Barbuda. Our only option for tours through the ship is the frigate bird sanctuary which looks interesting. We will have a few extra hours and we would like to check out the pink sand and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I know you are should be back from your cruise that went to Barbuda, but not sure you are still checking the boards. We will be on WS in two weeks and heading to Barbuda as well. We probably won't be doing the bird sanctuary tour so was hoping you could give some insight on what it was like. I understand there is about an 11 mile beach that I think we will explore and then there should be the water toys from the WS. But was hoping that someone that has been here can give a bit of an idea of what they did here. Is it the type of place for exploring or is this only about the water?

Do the frigate bird sanctuary tour! It was the most amazing thing! You'll never have another opportunity to see this! You take a van ride through the island and learn a bit about its history. You then board a motor boat (about 6 people per boat) and go about 15-20 minutes to the sanctuary. We spent about 20 minutes or more and then they took us back and dropped us off at the pink sand beach by the old fort. And yes, the "sand" is pink! And that part of the beach is beautiful and empty of just about anyone and anything. We just walked and took loads of photographs.

The part of the beach located closest to the pier is not very pink. You do need to walk aways to really enjoy and appreciate the pink! I'll post three pics from our day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalkddca6b24bb204c6a4c20596391d34a3d.jpg198cc6aba2915a84e57e223b30ad5b07.jpg18549d95c6cf820a8154cf975ace5bdd.jpg

Edited by Ski Mom 2

Gosh, here we were thinking that we were going to just make this our beach day and now you have me pondering that decision too. :-) Can you tell me more about your day once you finished the tour?

Not being a huge bird fan, is that something you would want to be in order to enjoy this tour? I've looked at youtube videos on this and just not sure I get the thrill from watching the birds flying around that perhaps others may. Am I missing something?

Once back on the ship, what types of things did you do until dinner time? I've never been on this line and that will be the first span of time to see what ship life will be like? Meaning, do people seem to go out on the decks and watching the sailing go on? Being from the north, I wonder about limiting so much sun time right off the bat, even with gobs of sun block, but I also know we are doing this for the sailing, so really just trying to get a feel for this first full day on the ship.