Anyone pulled their kids out of High School?

KPfromCT

ITCHING to do the Dream repositioning cruise, April 5th. DD is going to be a freshman in HS this year. Her SCHEDULED April vacation is the week of the 12th.:mad::mad: If her grades are good, we are seriously considering pulling her out. Has anyone else done this??????? Thank you in advance!!!!!:D:D:D

Before you do I would look at your school calendar and see if any tests are happening that week. Usually in April is when the TAKS of STAR testing is happening and you definitely don't want to miss those

Not sure if that "test" is state specific. I know CT does the CMT's. Uggghhh If they are that week, we definitely cannot go:(

We're taking our sons (15 and 12) out of school in November for a week. We're pretty sure they won't have anything going on that week that's urgent. We'll try and get as much of their schoolwork as possible before hand so they can work on it on the drive down or back.

You will hear a lot on the subject. I will just answer your question. No , we have never thought of pulling our children out of school to go on vacation. My son just graduated High School with an award for perfect attendance. My daughter is in middle school.

We're taking our sons (15 and 12) out of school in November for a week. We're pretty sure they won't have anything going on that week that's urgent. We'll try and get as much of their schoolwork as possible before hand so they can work on it on the drive down or back.

Makes me feel better:D:D I've seen posts on here from teachers that go psychotic and making people feel bad.:mad: I am hoping the teachers will give her the work BEFORE she leaves, because when we get back, she will "officially" be on school vacation, and she can complete it then.:D

Before you do I would look at your school calendar and see if any tests are happening that week. Usually in April is when the TAKS of STAR testing is happening and you definitely don't want to miss those

Just wondering, why not?

I am a middle school teacher and I may get flamed for this but I have always been brutally honest which can be seen as a strength or a weakness depending on who is giving their opinion. I say why not? Life is so short and times are changing so drastically in today's world. I say make great family memories and everything else will work out. I always give my students work when they go on vacation during the school year. Heck, prices are always better when school is in session. I wish I could take a vacation during the school year. It is your family and your choice. You will never have everyone agree with you so do what is est for your family. With that being said, I feel high school years are the harder to miss though as far as work load but not impossible.

Sharon

As a former teacher, I am very much against this in most cases.

As a parent, I am also against this in most cases.

As both a parent and a former teacher, for me to consider it I'd have to take into account the child and their learning habits and grades, the duration of the trip, and where the trip will take the child.

As a teacher, I'd ask the student to bring back a significant report on their experience in the ports. I'd probably ask some specific questions in advance that I'd like to see answered.

As a mom I'd need to make sure this trip provided a learning experience, and wasn't just an ordinary vacation. I personally wouldn't consider it for any Caribbean cruise. The ports would need to be fairly unique and provide a good cultural experience. Not that Caribbean islands are insignificant, I just don't think the typical visit there provides enough of a unique experience.

Lastly, from one mom to another, only you know what is best for your child.

Not a teacher, just a parent. I run 3 hotels in Central Florida. I will never be able to really go on a trip during school breaks. We have to take our kids out of school. Your kids WILL learn what they miss during those days of school. Your kids WILL NOT forget their family vacations with you. Enjoy your family time because you never know when you will not have the opportunity to go again. But I do agree they shouldn't miss state tests.....just go on vacation the week before. :-)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We never have due to the extensive amount of material covered and homework. Couldn't see DS enjoying a cruise that much either if quite a bit of that time would have to be spent reading textbooks, doing homework, and writing papers. And I'm afraid that he wouldn't feel that motivated to do the work in a cruise environment which would mean my enforcing a study schedule (OK if I needed to do it, but not what I dream of doing on a vacation that's for sure.) We so much prefer doing vacations over official school breaks when DS can really relax and enjoy everything with no exams or big projects hanging over his head. That means we can relax too. Might not be an issue for your teen, though. You would know best. // I did pull my son out for one day this May to attend his favorite cousin's college graduation and see family from all over the country. I was amazed how much he missed by just missing one day. lol Going to a graduation meant a lot to him, though, and I would do it again.

You will hear a lot on the subject. I will just answer your question. No , we have never thought of pulling our children out of school to go on vacation. My son just graduated High School with an award for perfect attendance. My daughter is in middle school.

Your post made me chuckle, because that is the only award my DDs didn't receive at their awards ceremony a few weeks ago. It's the one award my kids will probably never receive.:rolleyes::p Because we take them out of school every other year to cruise.:D

They just completed 5th and 1st grade though, so nowhere near high school yet. They each had the highest score in every subject (as usual). As long as they keep up this kind of academic performance, and the time doesn't interfere with anything terribly important, DH and I will have no qualms about continuing to take them out of school for cruises, even in high school. Their teachers have always been more than cooperative about it, too.:)

Sorry about bragging on my kids... they're pretty darned fantastic kids and sometimes I just can't help myself.:o Oops, there I go again.:o

OP, this is something only you and your spouse can decide, with important input from your DD and her teachers. The situation can be different for every family, student, teacher, and school. I wish you the best of luck in working it out to everyone's satisfaction. And happy cruising!

Another teacher here.....yes, we have taken our children out of school though it has only been a couple days at a time. Travelling and spending time with family is definitely worth it. Plus, there shouldn't be any reason why all homework cannot be complete and turned in before you leave. The teachers should work with you, I would hope.

Get ready for a lot of opinions. Once my boys got to middle school they would have had a fit if we wanted them to miss for vacation. One fought tooth and nail to go even when he needed and had a root canal. (Still went to CC practice and ran 8 miles that day....YIKES!!) And yes, my boys were top students.....they did not struggle at all with work. So it wasn't that kind of issue.

School today is very different from when many adults went to school. There is a LOT of hands on work, collaboration with other students, and significant technology based learning. A lot of work today is difficult to "make up" --kids just end up missing out.

My district's policy is to only give out missed work after absences because work changes based on what the kids do in class, discussions, or the success or failure of experiments. Be sure to check your district policy to see what is stated.

Again you will get a variety of views on taking students out of school, but ultimately it is your decision. (with input from your young adult) Good luck with your decision! :)

Just wondering, why not?

Lol. If the kids are smart their stats make the teacher and school look good. If the other way around it makes all look bad. If tests are scheduled that week and the teachers say take the kids I would start to wonder

The tests don't matter and if it is something you really want to do I say do it. Btw from what I gather it is the crazy sports coaches wrath that you need to fend offf

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I'm in my mid twenties and did well in high school. My parents pulled us out for vacations every now and then ... it was no big deal. I always made sure I had my homework beforehand and a signed note for the office/teachers.

Honestly, as some other posters have said - life is too short; make great family memories, as they last a lifetime. High school is important, but only you can be the judge if your child can handle being off and completing all coursework.

I'm not gonna lie, being in college, high school almost seems insignificant and meaningless now. Don't get me wrong, it's an important stepping stone and everything, but missing a week shouldn't be a detriment to a well rounded student.

Have fun on the Dream! :D

ITCHING to do the Dream repositioning cruise, April 5th. DD is going to be a freshman in HS this year. Her SCHEDULED April vacation is the week of the 12th.:mad::mad: If her grades are good, we are seriously considering pulling her out. Has anyone else done this??????? Thank you in advance!!!!!:D:D:D

First, my kids are and always been straight A students. My DS graduated top honors in his class of over 500. My DD finished her Freshman year 4.0. If your DD is strong and not taking AP she will do fine.

This year my DD got pulled 3 days for Hawaii. My DS did not want to go so he stayed with a friend. However he got pulled 3 days to visit out of state college campus.

Two summer ago, they got pulled the last week of school for our trip to Europe. They had to do finals early.

In Middle and elementary school, various times it was easy to make up. They finished Middle School with perfect grades plus no missing assignments.

OP- I am the survivor of 2 full open heart surgeries, valve replacement, and my DH 15 year survivor of cancer. We work hard but we take living/traveling to the limit. We live as if it's on borrowed time and sometimes we borrow some by taking time off work and school. If you can JUST DO IT!

Get ready for a lot of opinions. Once my boys got to middle school they would have had a fit if we wanted them to miss for vacation. One fought tooth and nail to go even when he needed and had a root canal. (Still went to CC practice and ran 8 miles that day....YIKES!!) And yes, my boys were top students.....they did not struggle at all with work. So it wasn't that kind of issue.

School today is very different from when many adults went to school. There is a LOT of hands on work, collaboration with other students, and significant technology based learning. A lot of work today is difficult to "make up" --kids just end up missing out.

My district's policy is to only give out missed work after absences because work changes based on what the kids do in class, discussions, or the success or failure of experiments. Be sure to check your district policy to see what is stated.

Again you will get a variety of views on taking students out of school, but ultimately it is your decision. (with input from your young adult) Good luck with your decision! :)

read this will a smile on my face. My son would have NEVER let me take him out either. He has gone to school feeling like crap. Also, there were many times in high school where the workload for homework was RIDICULOUS. He was up until 1 or 2am every night for weeks at a time working on homework, studying for tests and working on projects. And for bragging purposes he was ranked 21st in his graduating class of almost 1000 kids (and a 4.0 gpa). (now I am looking for donations for college. anyone want to donate :D )

Archived