Excursion recommendations

nikkipartain

Hey all! Sorry if I'm posting this on the wrong board.

I'm looking for recommendations on things do in ports! I've been on several cruises with my family, but never as an adult. My husband and I are going on a belated honeymoon on the Carnival Valor on Oct. 17th. I'd like to do one or two excursions and shop or go to the beach in a port that is easiest to get around in on our own!

Our ports are:

*Cozumel

*Belize

*Mahogany Bay

*Costa Maya

Thanks in advance :)

We enjoyed that cruise, Belize is gorgeous and offers so many different options, and Cozumel is a snorkelers / divers paradise and has beautiful beaches.

In Belize we've gone to Goff's Caye, gorgeous little spit and beach that also offers great snorkeling. We also took a water taxi to Caye Caulker on our own and enjoyed seeing that island and relaxing at the Lazy Lizard, gorgeous views from the bar. Very easy self-excursion. Cave tubing is also big in Belize, as are the excursions into the jungle to see the ruins.

You'll want to do your shopping in San Miguel on Cozumel, then perhaps taxi to one of the quieter beaches and enjoy a cocktail and the crystal clear water. Probably the best island for a self-excursion to a beach.

Roatan is a nice island to tour with a smaller tour company. We like getting dropped in West End and walking and then taking the water taxi to West Bay and enjoying lunch on the beach at the Bananarama. But there are much less crowded beaches for a quieter experience.

Costa Maya (specifically the village of Mahahaul where you dock) is primarily a collection of restaurants along the beach (the Malecon) that offer lounges some free with purchases, some with an all-inclusive price. There are descriptions at the top of the Costa Maya forum. You can taxi or bus into town. We were there early on a short day (7 - 2 maybe?) and we wanted to just relax and enjoyed our time at Steve's place (Tropicante). Drinks are inexpensive and he'll reserve lounges for you if you email him. But there are some great beach hotels further south that you can relax at if you want to rent a golf cart and ge out of town. There is a new shopping area by the ship. What was not long ago a small fishing village has become a very busy tourist center.

But be sure to read threads on these specific forums, as well as on your roll call thread for your sailing.

Edited by blue_water