bigger passenger

closure

I only book accessible cabins when the toilets are put in these little stalls and walled in on 3 sides. It makes it just as impossible for me to use a "regular" cabin's bathroom as someone in a wheelchair. I need that accessible cabin as much as you do.

:eek: WOW!! :eek:

:eek: WOW!! :eek:

i know that's not a popular opinion but last time i checked, an accessible cabin is there for those who physically cannot use a regular cabin, correct?

Or are you saying that i am supposed to just not cruise? Seriously.

And i see you didn't quote the portion of my post that said that IF i can use a regular cabin, i WILL because obviously i wouldn't NEED it anymore.

have a great night.

i know that's not a popular opinion but last time i checked, an accessible cabin is there for those who physically cannot use a regular cabin, correct?

And i see you didn't quote the portion of my post that said that IF i can use a regular cabin, i WILL because obviously i wouldn't NEED it anymore.

have a great night.

Thereby possibly preventing someone with a real disability from using the HC cabin. Seriously....only book a cruise that has a cabin with a toilet you're capable of using. Don't book a HC cabin just because you can't find another one you can fit into. :eek: Find another cruise. Seriously!

have a great night.

As someone that must have an accessible cabin to cruise ( I am an amputee) Miss Rabbit has as much right to one as I do...anyone that really 'needs' an accessible cabin for whatever reason should have one if the itinerary, ship and cost meets their needs. They will have to book as early as I do for the cruse because there are so few cabins that meet our needs. I often find that the cruise I want has no accessilbe cabins even one year in advance.

Who are we to judge.

I honestly can't believe this has even become an issue. People that are "Fluffy" may not be what you might consider handicapped but, who are you to decide. I also need the use of a handicapped cabin after having a stroke 2 years ago and having a right side that is almost useless. I use a wheelchair for distance and some days I need it for more than that. I have to plan way a head and book a HC because I don't have a choice. I think if Miss Rabbit or anyone else who NEEDS a HC cabin should book it. It's not like she is using the Hc cabin for the extra space as others do. Contrary to what people have been lead to believe cruise lines DO NOT remove abled-bodied cruisers from HC cabins for someone who needs it. Being anonymous on a forum does not entitle anyone to be rude or speak out of lack of knowledge. It's not up to you me or anyone else on this forum to decide who does and doesn't need a handicapped cabin. That has to be up to the individual affected. What was said was don't take a handicapped cabin if you don't need it.

thanks, everyone, for your kind words and understanding to all the floofier folks..

Am i in a wheelchair? nope. so i can't understand what it's like to be in one. BUt i do know what it's like to not be able to get around. To find bathrooms too small to use. To have seating that is impossible to sit in, so i have to either stand, which puts my left leg to sleep or pass on participating altogether. I have to pass on elevators that are too full, where regular sized passengers will be able to fit in. Or to watch the looks on their faces as they frantically press the "close door" button before i can get there. I can't climb the stairs too well so i have to wait.

I have to do tons of research on every ship, every port, every excursion to make sure that it fits my needs or not. Do the ships have chairs without arms? MDR? Showtime theatre? Outside on the lido? the buffet seating? What about the other venues? Is there seating for me there? What is the entry and exit like on the boats/buses for excursions? Are they too small to accommodate? Will they refuse me entry? (had that happen alot btw) Does this sound familiar?

By the time i research all that, i'm left with a VERY VERY VERY small handful of ships across all the cruiselines that will actually accommodate my needs. Most of those, i can still use a regular cabin as the floor plan will allow it. But on the few (and i mean very few) ships out of those, where it's impossible for me to use a regular cabin, i have no other option but to use an accessible cabin. I can't just "find a different ship" cause there IS no other ship to choose from!

I am telling you all this not to complain, for this is how it is and i live with it. But i hope that this explains a little more as to what someone who is very floofy has to deal with when planning and going on a cruise (as well as in every facet of their daily lives) and with that, hopefully some understanding.

I find it very sad when people who need the most compassion and understanding from others are the least compassionate and understanding when it comes to anyone but themselves. Please pause and think for a moment, and hopefully you'll realize that just because someone isn't in exactly your situation, doesn't mean that they don't need the same things you do.

So thank you to all those who realize that disibilities come in all forms and that accessible cabins are there for all folks who are unable, for whatever reason, to book a regular cabin. You kind words have touched me more than you can know.

Very nicely said Miss Rabbit. It's really too bad that any kind of explanation is needed. It is no one else business but, yours. I do apologize for getting on my soap box but, I had been reading the bigger passenger thread and I just got more and more aggravated to the point I felt obligated to say something. Sometimes people really do need to get over themselves. Miss Rabbit I hope you enjoy tour next cruise and I'm sure you've already figured out not to let a few people ruin your vacation. They are obviously the ones with the problem.

I think that everyone can agree that the HC cabins are best used by those with a physical disability. I was not directing my comment towards anyone specifically. I must add that we have been in a situation where an ablebodied couple was moved out a HC cabin to accommodate my sons wheelchair. It was not something that we requested, they just called me back and told me that it had been done. Some cruiselines request a doctors note, some just a form letter regarding your needs, and some nothing at all.

To clarify....if someone who is not disabled but has a special need, such as more space around a toilet or shower, the best option, if possible, would be to call the cruiseline and search for a room configuration that would work. It isn't the best use of a HC cabin if a passenger just needs one feature when there are other passengers which might need them all, roll-in showers, wide doors, grab bars, etc. I understand by Miss Kitty's post that some ships don't have any regular cabins that work for her, then so be it, she must use the HC. The frustration is when people book the cabins because they want a larger cabin not because they need the features.

I bought my seat belt extenders through http://www.extend-its.com and was pleased. I always carry my envelope and receipt with me because I don't want anyone to think I took one of the airline's extenders. There are different types for different airlines and even if you buy somewhere else, this site has a good picture and description of the differences. I bought two, one for United/American, etc, and one for Southwest. I have only had to ask for an extender once in the last eight years, and that was because the plane had some goofy configuration seat belts. (At least I thought they were goofy) It is SOOOO nice to have your own and not have to ask, or fly without one. I have seen several of us fluffies just kind of hide the belt around them without fastening it.............

Bathrooms are very small for me on domestic flights, kind of have to turn sideways and stuff in, and it isn't too comfy inside either, but it is do-able.

Another thing to check on if you can't move too well is if the ship tenders to a port, the exit means from the tenders. We were once able to get on a tender, get to the shore, but not get off because there was a ladder type thing to climb up to get up to the dock. I have a scooter as well as being fluffy so that may not be a problem for most..........but it never occurred to me. I rode back to the ship on the tender without ever getting off.

Also, some of the mini suites have bathtubs only in the bathroom, and don't know about you, but I cannot climb over the side........couldn't use the spa showers either, no place to park scooter and no seat inside. Very uncomfortable to do sponge baths all week.

I have seen several of us fluffies just kind of hide the belt around them without fastening it.............

Please don't ever do this. In the event of severe turbulence, you could come flying out of your seat and seriously hurt someone else in the cabin. While it may feel like you are squished in that seat pretty tightly, the forces of gravity would rip you out and send you flying - fluffy or not.

To clarify....if someone who is not disabled but has a special need, such as more space around a toilet or shower, the best option, if possible, would be to call the cruiseline and search for a room configuration that would work. It isn't the best use of a HC cabin if a passenger just needs one feature when there are other passengers which might need them all, roll-in showers, wide doors, grab bars, etc. I understand by Miss Kitty's post that some ships don't have any regular cabins that work for her, then so be it, she must use the HC. The frustration is when people book the cabins because they want a larger cabin not because they need the features.

I believe your posts are regarding my post of booking a HC cabin. I do not feel the need or desire to prove to you or anyone else that I need such a cabin. You can keep reiterating your views over and over, but you just make yourself look like someone on their soap box.

I was just trying to point out a way that the bigger passengers and the disabled passengers might both find cabins that work and have a fun trip. I am not asking anyone to prove anything to me! I wish everyone a great cruise.

But you are insinuating that a bigger person by definition is not disabled. There are plenty of people who have been labeled "disabled" by the government due to issues with weight. While I understand that is a controversial issue with many people, it's no less true. Our bodies suffer through unimaginable stress and abuse because of our weight. It's not just an issue to "lose weight". Some of us have little to no metabolism and a lifetime of dieting has made us unable to lose weight. You may not think we "need" the HC cabins because of our size, but that is not your decision. I have disclosed my personal issues with the cruise line, and they agree that I need an HC cabin.

Please don't ever do this. In the event of severe turbulence, you could come flying out of your seat and seriously hurt someone else in the cabin. While it may feel like you are squished in that seat pretty tightly, the forces of gravity would rip you out and send you flying - fluffy or not.

i've told this to parents, usually mothers, who are convinced that their arms will hold a child tighter than any seat belt.

i've told this to parents, usually mothers, who are convinced that their arms will hold a child tighter than any seat belt.

I am one who fully believes that EVERYONE on a plane should be securely belted in. A infant to a one year eleven months old child weighs anywhere from 7 to 30 pounds. Imagine them as a projectile flying around the cabin! Now imagine a person who is so large they cannot buckle a regular seat belt. We are talking about several hundred pounds being tossed around during turbulence. This is a matter of safety for both the heavy person and all the other passengers on the plane. My personal safety trumps the comfort or embarrassment of the overweight passenger.

I am one who fully believes that EVERYONE on a plane should be securely belted in. A infant to a one year eleven months old child weighs anywhere from 7 to 30 pounds. Imagine them as a projectile flying around the cabin! Now imagine a person who is so large they cannot buckle a regular seat belt. We are talking about several hundred pounds being tossed around during turbulence. This is a matter of safety for both the heavy person and all the other passengers on the plane. My personal safety trumps the comfort or embarrassment of the overweight passenger.

Totally with you on that.

We had a case here of a child that flew out of hsi mother's arms in a car accident, right through the window and was killed, of course.

Mom said that she had no choice but to hold the little one in her arms, they couldn't afford a bigger car.

I bought my seat belt extenders through www.extend-its.com and was pleased. I always carry my envelope and receipt with me because I don't want anyone to think I took one of the airline's extenders. There are different types for different airlines and even if you buy somewhere else, this site has a good picture and description of the differences. I bought two, one for United/American, etc, and one for Southwest. I have only had to ask for an extender once in the last eight years, and that was because the plane had some goofy configuration seat belts. (At least I thought they were goofy) It is SOOOO nice to have your own and not have to ask, or fly without one. I have seen several of us fluffies just kind of hide the belt around them without fastening it.............

Bathrooms are very small for me on domestic flights, kind of have to turn sideways and stuff in, and it isn't too comfy inside either, but it is do-able.

Another thing to check on if you can't move too well is if the ship tenders to a port, the exit means from the tenders. We were once able to get on a tender, get to the shore, but not get off because there was a ladder type thing to climb up to get up to the dock. I have a scooter as well as being fluffy so that may not be a problem for most..........but it never occurred to me. I rode back to the ship on the tender without ever getting off.

Also, some of the mini suites have bathtubs only in the bathroom, and don't know about you, but I cannot climb over the side........couldn't use the spa showers either, no place to park scooter and no seat inside. Very uncomfortable to do sponge baths all week.

That is good information to know. Thank you for sharing your experiences with us.

Just wondered if anyone had ever ask for a chair with no arms for the balcony??

On my last cruise, i asked our cabin steward if he could bring down one of the outdoor loungers (as the NCL Pearl had them without arms). He said no problem and when we returned later, there it was on the balcony. When we saw him next, we gave him a thankyou tip.

I did when my leg was at its worst state of injury. No problem with the request. I was brought a much better and more comfortable chair without arms and it did not slide around when I tried to get in and out of it.

Did you ask for a chair or a lounger? We're going to be asking for chairs on our upcoming cruise. We're in a Cove Balcony (non-handicapped btw as the bathroom config. allows for us to use regular cabins) and there are 2 of us in the cabin that will need chairs without arms.

Did they just bring one of the outdoor chairs from the pool deck? Or do they have armless versions of the balcony chairs? On the Carnival Magic (our next cruise ship) it looks like there are some chairs on the outdoor decks that sort of have no arms.. they have these annoying "wings" on them but at least we'd be able to sit in them (albeit uncomfortably). Those will have to do unless they DO have armless versions of the balcony cabin chairs. What did they bring you?

• 2 weeks later...

Not cruised since last November, but I will be on the Carnival Magic in 73 days (Nov 14). I know you are booked on her next year, so I will be sure to let you know my experiences.

I know you have cruised Alaska. Have you ever done one that included a land tour also? If so, how was that?

Lesa

Not cruised since last November, but I will be on the Carnival Magic in 73 days (Nov 14). I know you are booked on her next year, so I will be sure to let you know my experiences.

I know you have cruised Alaska. Have you ever done one that included a land tour also? If so, how was that?

Lesa

Hiya Lesa... how exciting you get to go on the Magic so soon! i still have to wait til spring :( I'll anxiously await your review.

I haven't cruised Alaska. I live up near there so it doesn't really hold any appeal to me.

Miss Rabbit, my mistake. I assumed that you would have cruised Alaska based on your location. I have been lucky enough to visit Victoria on a couple of land vacations and am absolutely enthralled with the scenery you live amongst on Vancouver Island. Very different from what we have here in Texas. I yearn for a day that does not exceed 100 degrees.