About bringing a cooler

beachbum53

From Carnival's F.A.Q. section:

(Small, personal-sized coolers no larger than 12” x 12” x 12” for the purpose of housing small quantities of non-alcoholic beverages and/or medications are permitted as carry-on luggage.)

Has anyone ever brought a cooler that is not exactly 12" x 12" x 12", specifically one that is collapsible, in their luggage, and not as a carry-on? A cooler of those exact dimensions is kind of hard to find. The cooler that we've used in the past is getting worn out, and I need to buy a new one before our next cruise. We don't use our cooler as a carry-on. We keep it in our room to keep ice and sodas in. I seriously doubt if the cabin stewards carry tape measures with them and measure everyone's coolers. I'm not planning to bring a huge cooler. but the one I'm considering is a few inches bigger than 12" x 12" x 12".

I've been using this one for years now, never had a problem - they also want to make sure it fits in the X-ray machine.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00B16OMLU/ref=mp_s_a_1_31?qid=1423193880&sr=8-31&pi=AC_SY200_QL40&keywords=rolling+coolers+on+wheels&dpPl=1&dpID=51AOS4PXJBL&ref=plSrch

I think it may all depends on the person checking you in and the port. I have carried something very similar to yours and never had a problem from the Port of Miami. When we first cruised out of Port Canaveral, not only did the lady have a tape measure, measuring my cooler, but they refused me to carry it on. I wasn't about to walk back to the car, so I just left it.

We always take a soft sided collapsible cooler in our luggage. The steward will keep it full of ice for you too.

I am not sure if the Steward will keep it "full of ice". With the cutbacks, they have also cut back on the number of room steards so that they have to service a larger number of rooms. It is my undderstanding that they will give you ice in you request it. However, if you have a large cooler, I am not sure that they have the time to fill it up with ice.

I am not sure if the Steward will keep it "full of ice". With the cutbacks, they have also cut back on the number of room steards so that they have to service a larger number of rooms. It is my undderstanding that they will give you ice in you request it. However, if you have a large cooler, I am not sure that they have the time to fill it up with ice.

Yes they do and they will. We take a soft sided cooler every cruise and the wonderful stewards fill it up with ice every time....they keep the ice bucket that we ask for filled too. Who said anything about a large cooler? :rolleyes:

I am getting so tired of people throwing out the "with all the cutbacks" comments. I received the same outstanding service on my last cruise in July as I did on my first cruise in 2005, probably even better. In fact, I get more benefits now for a cruise that is almost identical in price as it was in 2005. :cool:

Edited by Rena921

Yes they do and they will. We take a soft sided cooler every cruise and the wonderful stewards fill it up with ice every time....they keep the ice bucket that we ask for filled too. Who said anything about a large cooler? :rolleyes:

I am getting so tired of people throwing out the "with all the cutbacks" comments. I received the same outstanding service on my last cruise in July as I did on my first cruise in 2005, probably even better. In fact, I get more benefits now for a cruise that is almost identical in price as it was in 2005. :cool:

Glad to hear that you had "Exceptional Stewards" and great service.

Certainly, enjoy your next cruise on Carnival.

I am getting so tired of people throwing out the "with all the cutbacks" comments.

I agree 100%, especially from those that have no clue. All you have to do is ask or leave a note. We didn't get a breakfast order card one day. Instead of declaring it the worst cruise ever, we called our steward who brought us one within two minutes with a smile.

Well, all-righty then. Let's get this back on track.

Thanks jaggin. That's actually one of the coolers I was considering. How long does the ice last? At least a couple of days?

As for getting fresh ice for the cooler, if I happen to see our steward when the ice has melted and needs to be replenished, I'll ask him/her for more ice. But I also don't have a problem taking a zip lock bag and getting it myself.

Well, all-righty then. Let's get this back on track.

Thanks jaggin. That's actually one of the coolers I was considering. How long does the ice last? At least a couple of days?

As for getting fresh ice for the cooler, if I happen to see our steward when the ice has melted and needs to be replenished, I'll ask him/her for more ice. But I also don't have a problem taking a zip lock bag and getting it myself.

They will do it automatically for you morning and evening. We always give a little extra tip the first time we ask and they truly don't mind. There are no self serve ice machines other than for the drinks at the Lido buffet.

You can always get a bucket of ice from one of the Lido bars, but that ice melts extremely fast.

Just a side note, the prefer that you keep the cooler in the bathroom due to condensation and possible leakage.

They will do it automatically for you morning and evening. We always give a little extra tip the first time we ask and they truly don't mind. There are no self serve ice machines other than for the drinks at the Lido buffet.

You can always get a bucket of ice from one of the Lido bars, but that ice melts extremely fast.

Just a side note, the prefer that you keep the cooler in the bathroom due to condensation and possible leakage.

We typically keep our cooler on a towel (in case of possible leakage) on a small table in the room. If we need ice, and the steward is not readily available, I just take a one gallon zip lock bag and go to the buffet area and fill it up. Then I put the zip lock bag with ice in the cooler. The bag helps contain the water from the ice as it melts.

We typically keep our cooler on a towel (in case of possible leakage) on a small table in the room. If we need ice, and the steward is not readily available, I just take a one gallon zip lock bag and go to the buffet area and fill it up. Then I put the zip lock bag with ice in the cooler. The bag helps contain the water from the ice as it melts.

Great idea. I guess we need to put gallon zip lock bags on our list. Thanks.

I purchased the round carnival soft side cooler for my son's college graduation cruise filled with beer from the Bon Voyage shop and we have used it on every cruise since then. An ice bucket (the one beer comes in) fits perfectly inside and provides a non-leaking soft side cooler for the room. I just checked and Carnival Bon Voyage has a square one now instead of the round one.

Try including the name "California Innovations" in the search bar.;)

Trust me I did! I tried "California innovations color", "cylinder cooler", even "round cooler" and I found a bunch of other coolers. Just that that specific one.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Trust me I did! I tried "California innovations color", "cylinder cooler", even "round cooler" and I found a bunch of other coolers. Just that that specific one.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Go to Amazon and type "collapsible party cooler" in the search bar. Although the one pictured in jagging's post doesn't come up, there are several similar ones listed, made by Gemline. I remember seeing the one made by California Innovations last year at Sam's Club. Maybe they'll have them again this year.

http://www.amazon.com/California-Innovations-Can-Pop-Up-Cooler/dp/B00314DMAM/ref=pd_sxp_f_pt

Everyplace seems to be out of stock.

I have used this for four cruises and no leaks yet.

I ask on first day to have ice in it and it is never empty the whole trip.

California Innovations 24 Can Pop-Up Party Cooler

SKU138245 Our Price:$0.00

Sale Price:$0.00

Volume Discounted Pricing

• PinExt.png

138245_05.jpg

Additional Images

• 138245_03_collapsed.jpg
  • 138245_03_open.jpg

Edited by jaggin

Glad to hear this! We do this too, it's not a huge cooler but we ask for ice daily with a nice tip at the beginning of the cruise. Have never had a problem keeping it at least half full.