From N. Houston to Galveston terminal....how long?

Grits53

In planning my drive to the port on a Sat. morning in mid April, how long should I allow myself to go from the north side of Houston to the Galveston terminal? Of course, I will allow some extra time, but I need a starting point. I have made this drive with DH driving several times, but I just never noticed how long it took for that portion of the trip. :o

What part of N Houston in? We are in Spring. We allow about 3 hours. We take 45 South to Beltway 8 and go east. We cross I-10, the bridge and stay on the Beltway to 45 South and then we go left on 45 towards Galveston. We will be doing this drive on the 2nd of March. You want to have extra time to park. We are going to drop our luggage at the terminal and then park at the Terminal lot and take a shuttle back to the terminal.:)

I can make the Bush Airport-Galveston run in a little over an hour on a Sunday morning with little traffic.:eek: Of course, I'm a professional limo driver. Please do not attempt at home. Naturally, I do this WITHOUT people in the car. I may be a lead foot, but I'm not crazy.

On a serious note....coming from the far north side of Houston I take the Hardy Toll Road to 610 East to I-59 South to I-45 South. I find this way as fast as any. On most weekend mornings traffic is relatively light, except during Spring Break.

Just remember, no matter how you choose to get through H-Town, cops are BAD on the Gulf Freeway(I-45) south of Houston. I mean, really bad.

I can make the Bush Airport-Galveston run in a little over an hour on a Sunday morning with little traffic.:eek: Of course, I'm a professional limo driver. Please do not attempt at home. Naturally, I do this WITHOUT people in the car. I may be a lead foot, but I'm not crazy.

On a serious note....coming from the far north side of Houston I take the Hardy Toll Road to 610 East to I-59 South to I-45 South. I find this way as fast as any. On most weekend mornings traffic is relatively light, except during Spring Break.

Just remember, no matter how you choose to get through H-Town, cops are BAD on the Gulf Freeway(I-45) south of Houston. I mean, really bad.

I second all of the above. I have family in Spring and have driven that route to Galveston many times. houstoncruisers2001do you have an alternate route when traffic is backed up due to weekend lane closures due to construction in the NASA Rd 1 area like last weekend? My BIL took us on 146 for awhile and then eventually back on I45 but that was no picnic either.

Patti

houstoncruisers2001 do you have an alternate route when traffic is backed up due to weekend lane closures due to construction in the NASA Rd 1 area like last weekend?

Patti, I have taken Beltway 8 East to 225 East to TX-146 South to I-45 South, but only because the Gulf Freeway was closed near NASA. What a pain in the butt. HATE driving through the Kemah/Seabrook area. Sad to say, there aren't any good alternate routes. If you find one, please let me know.

There is not always construction!

Make sure you have construction first!

see another thread for Highways dept tel #

However::

HW 45 to 288 to 6 to Galveston

Hw 45 to Beltway on South side ..east to 3 to Galveston

Hw 45 to Beltway on south side ... east to Genoa to 146 all the way to Galveston

Hw 45 to 225 to 146 all the way to Galveston

There is not always construction!

Make sure you have construction first!

see another thread for Highways dept tel #

However::

HW 45 to 288 to 6 to Galveston

Hw 45 to Beltway on South side ..east to 3 to Galveston

Hw 45 to Beltway on south side ... east to Genoa to 146 all the way to Galveston

Hw 45 to 225 to 146 all the way to Galveston

Thanks, Galveston Cruiser! Great info.

Patti

Archived