1st time solo cruiser - where to go?

G'day, I'm looking at a cruise around Feb- March 2013 as my next holiday.

I guess the title is misleading as its not my 1st time cruising as I have some vague youthfull memories of cruising on the 'Fairstar' back in the mid-80's & sharing a 4 berth cabin, showers that flooded, feeling like i was trapped in an RSL club for 7 days and the sound of water slapping against the ship as our cabin was at water level. hehe.

I reckon the ships (like me) have changed considerablly over the years so I'm tossing up between a solo cruise or 2 weeks Intrepid trip in Vietnam. Yep, from one extreme to the other!

I've seen some nice cruises (ex-Sydney) that either do the 'circuit' around the Sth Pacific, Sydney to Cairns/Tasmania & Sydney to NZ, they all sound interesting and compare well price-wise to 2 weeks in Vietnam (bl**dy single supplement!)

I'm 49 male, still a bit of 'kid' at heart and like having fun on holiday so not ready for the "bingo-set" yet (haha), just looking for good fun time and hopefully meet up with a few other like minded solo'ers on the high seas.

Any tips / feedback is appreciated.

Cheers

Brett

I suggest you would meet more solos and people who into having 'fun' on a P&O cruise than on Princess. I have met a couple of solos on Princess who were disappointed at the small number of solos on board.:)

Personally, we prefer Princess, but the vast majority of passengers are mature couples.

G'day, I'm looking at a cruise around Feb- March 2013 as my next holiday.

I guess the title is misleading as its not my 1st time cruising as I have some vague youthfull memories of cruising on the 'Fairstar' back in the mid-80's & sharing a 4 berth cabin, showers that flooded, feeling like i was trapped in an RSL club for 7 days and the sound of water slapping against the ship as our cabin was at water level. hehe.

I reckon the ships (like me) have changed considerablly over the years so I'm tossing up between a solo cruise or 2 weeks Intrepid trip in Vietnam. Yep, from one extreme to the other!

I've seen some nice cruises (ex-Sydney) that either do the 'circuit' around the Sth Pacific, Sydney to Cairns/Tasmania & Sydney to NZ, they all sound interesting and compare well price-wise to 2 weeks in Vietnam (bl**dy single supplement!)

I'm 49 male, still a bit of 'kid' at heart and like having fun on holiday so not ready for the "bingo-set" yet (haha), just looking for good fun time and hopefully meet up with a few other like minded solo'ers on the high seas.

Any tips / feedback is appreciated.

Cheers

Brett

I did a three week Intrepid Trip Best of Vietnam last year. Had a fabulous time.

I'm having a similar delimmea for a trip in February. Either 2 weeks with Intrepid visiting Cambodia or 11 days cruising the South Pacific.

Thanks peep's for your feedback,

I forgot to add in my original post are there any pros/cons in doing a cruise within Australia (Cairns or Tasmania) vs a Sth Pacfic cruise?

G'day Sarah, I feel your pain trying to decide! lol!. I've read so many forums about Vietnam and Cruising that I think i'm gonna resort to tossing a coin and let it decide for me! (has anyone ever done that regarding a holiday? let the coins decide? heads cruise / tails vietnam! hehe)

I live inner SW of Sydney so can roll out my luggage onto the train and 30mins later be able to roll onto the ship, unpack and start my holiday straight away, no waiting at airports.

Anyway, thanks again

Hi Brett, p&o australia have a singles page on facebook for cruising, i'm not sure if i can put up are link or not so i wont.....you can go on there if you wish and suss it out if you like

I did the "toss the coin" choice between cruising solo from Aus or flying to USA and cruising the Caribbean with a Singles group. The USA won.....had such a great time and met so many new friends that I'm heading back there again in November for another group cruise :)

Hi there, I did a Honolulu to Sydney solo last year on The Radiance of the Seas and loved every minute of it. Met lots of people who I am still in touch with . You should check it out, the price is not too bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did a quick 'toss the coin' over a beer last night, came up heads (cruise) still wasn't happy with the results so did it again (Vietnam) Just shows that I can't decide atm but I'm not stressing, i'll leave that for when i decide to book! hehe.

I droppin in to a few TA's yesterday to grab a few cruise/Vietnam brouchures & spoke to some TA's, there is a Cruise Expo happening next weekend in Sydney it's also 'Cruise Week' next week, Harvey World Travel (or 'hardly world travelled' as i call them) gave me a 'heads up' that a lot of specials will be around next week, only available at the TA, not online.

TA also recommended not going on a P&O as these are mostly aimed towards families etc. Mind you, they have a 9 day cruise on Pacific Pearl, 8 March 2013, outside room deck 9 $1699 + $200 on-board credit, that's a pretty good price i think.

Anyway, thanks again for your continuing feedback,

cheers

Brett

I have to agree with bazzaw. But it largely depends on OPs boredom threshold ;)

And yes, a travel agent is always a good idea. It's been a while since I was on a P&O ship but "floating RSL" is a pretty accurate description [runs and hides]

Brett, you have to decide what type of holiday you want. For me a cruise on the south Pacific is a veges out type of hol. travelling in Vietnam is about experiencing culture and seeing a range of different places and the local food is delicious. Intrepid is really grass roots travelling. I have done there trips with them so far all been great.

I think it really depends on what you want out of a holiday.

I'm 46 and I travel solo most of the time and did a 7 night south pacific cruise Feb just gone but as part of a group.

I found that the cruise was a really relaxing holiday and I could just shut myself off from everything at home.

I have done solo trips to Asia and they were full of great food and adventures and meeting new people.

So I think you need work out what you want from the holiday first

Hi Brett,

My 28 yr old daughter recently did a cruise on her own!!

She wanted her own room and she didnt want to pay single supplement so she booked a studio on Norwegian Epic, leaving from Rome to Barcelona.

I warned her that most of the passegeners may be much, much older but she wasnt deterred.

Met lots of new people of all ages and was partying at the bars until late.

She loved all the ports, most of which she did independently.

Afterwards she spent a few days in Mykonos and Santorini and loved every minute of it. (Fortunately she kept in touch with us constantly, to ease our worries.)

She said she had an absolute ball - even more fun than with her girlfriends or a boyfriend.

( However, that hasn't deterred her from wanting to join us on our Baltic/Russia cruise next year):rolleyes:

I suggest you read the "single cruising" section of CC for some tips on interesting ports and ships.

And yes, a travel agent is always a good idea. It's been a while since I was on a P&O ship but "floating RSL" is a pretty accurate description [runs and hides]

It really depends on the cruise P&O is doing and what time of year the cruise is.

We have done 8 cruises on P&O and have never really found them like a "floating RSL", some of the cruises with have done with P&O we have had a few more older people on-board compared to other P&O cruises we have done, but never felt like the ship was a "floating RSL".

If you want a ship that's a "floating RSL" try Holland America!

[ducks! and hides]

thanks guys for your replies.

My 'floating RSL' comment was aimed at 'Fairstar' when i cruised with them back sometime in the 80's.

Is it greedy to say "yes" I want a relaxing chilled holiday as well as the culture and all that Vietnam can throw at me!

So many choices! hehe

thanks guys for your replies.

My 'floating RSL' comment was aimed at 'Fairstar' when i cruised with them back sometime in the 80's.

Is it greedy to say "yes" I want a relaxing chilled holiday as well as the culture and all that Vietnam can throw at me!

So many choices! hehe

Greedy NO, sounds great to me :)

If you want culture plus the chill out time...what about an Intrepid (or similar) Vietnam with a few days in Hoi Ann or another VN beach resort tacked on the end?

If you are in Sydney there's a Cruise Expo next Sunday might be worth dropping in to talk to the people from the cruise lines and TA's there.

I am voting Vietnam!

Maybe it's just me, but we were in Vietnam for a stopover on the way to and from London just recently and I hated it! It was dirty, noisy and generally not my idea of a good time. I'd especially hate to go there by myself. Take a cruise!:)

Maybe it's just me, but we were in Vietnam for a stopover on the way to and from London just recently and I hated it! It was dirty, noisy and generally not my idea of a good time. I'd especially hate to go there by myself. Take a cruise!:)

8 hours in a port is not enough time to give any country the flick. If you want to see dirty and noisy try going to Cairo or New Delhi. Those two cities are at a whole new level. However, both those cities and the countries have a charm of their own and I wouldn't hesitate to visit again.

I didn't find Vietnam to be overly dirty. Noisy, yes at times with all the motobikes but you get used to it.

Nga Trang

215631_10150167053947063_1710904_n.jpg

Halong Bay

225731_10150167091492063_1382228_n.jpg

Thanks peep's for your replies.

If you want dirty & noisy city, try living in London for 6 years like i did in the mid-90's!

I also have stayed in Cairo as a stop over from London for 3 days and i loved it. I've also travelled thru and loved Turkey as well as several trips to Thailand. I also intend on a Morroccan experience before i retire.

I had intended on Vietnam last year but ended up in Thailand (cheap airfares & accomm). So i think Vietnam is the winner this time, can save the 'floating RSL' Cruise for later. Would like to do a NYE cruise at sea, maybe next year.

Thanks all for your interesting feedback

Happy sailing, cheers

Brett

Hi Brett,I had the feeling you were leaning towards Vietnam :)

As much as I like cruising I also enjoy land based travel.I'm off on a 28 day tour to India next month,can't wait despite the negative comments I have received!

A tip for when you travel to Morocco.You can't buy the currency before you enter the country so make sure your credit cards are working or have euros in your wallet.I speak from experience but it all worked out well.

Regards Elaine.

Archived