Question for frequent cruisers re: security

There was a security guard sitting in a chair in the hallway right above me (floor three) this morning. I thought "odd, he's blocking the hall." Now, 2 p.m., he's still outside the same door, only standing behind the chair. What's up with that? Any ideas?

There was a security guard sitting in a chair in the hallway right above me (floor three) this morning. I thought "odd, he's blocking the hall." Now, 2 p.m., he's still outside the same door, only standing behind the chair. What's up with that? Any ideas?

Someone has been confined to that stateroom. Could be something like illness, problem with law enforcement, etc.

Usually some one or multiple people restricted to the cabin for violating guest conduct policies.

Thanks for your responses. I thought perhaps that was the case, but don't see or hear anything but that security guard hanging outside the stateroom. I heard that Jamie Farr, from MASH, was on board, but I can't imagine him being in a cabin down here - I would think he's in something fancy...or at least a balcony.

:D

Usually some one or multiple people restricted to the cabin for violating guest conduct policies.

We saw a similar occurrence to the one described by the OP and this was the basic explanation when we asked a senior officer later that night.

M

Yep. Guard is still sitting there. I heard a LOT of loud banging overhead yesterday. I thought it was just kids jumping off the bed or something. Could still have been that, I guess--but the noise is gone, so I'm guessing it must be someone violating policy" - whatever that means. It's extremely quiet up there now! And all this happening after the night we had to turn around and rush back to Nassau from Coco Cay with an older gentleman who needed to be taken to hospital.

Edited by Sharon Sails

Yep. Guard is still sitting there. I heard a LOT of loud banging overhead yesterday. I thought it was just kids jumping off the bed or something. Could still have been that, I guess--but the noise is gone, so I'm guessing it must be someone violating policy" - whatever that means?

Too long to post here but you can check the link!

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/content/en_US/pdf/Guest_Conduct_Policy.pdf

The Cruise Director mentions this at the Muster Drill.

Several years ago we had an interesting experience on AOS. We were up very early the morning back in San Juan - roamed the ship, enjoying the quiet and empty space. We were sitting in an alcove and a security person walked by us (our backs were towards the direction he came from). A moment later, another one in black uniform, this one with a full gear - pistol, taser - the whole thing. Then a dog and handler, then another full gear and finally a ship security. They turned down the next passenger hallway. DW and I waited a couple of seconds, and "let's go" and we followed. We turned the corner into the passageway to see them all gathered around a cabin door. They pounded on the door "Ship security -- open up." We were far enough away we couldn't here the response from inside. More pounding. "Open up." Evidently they said something about the bathroom as we heard "Have them put a towel on and exit the cabin, now." "Who is in there with you?" "That name isn't registered with this cabin." To say it was tense is an understatement. DW and I decided it was time for us to be going. We never heard anything about this. Drugs? Smugglers? Stolen towels?

Apparently a case of domestic violence - had to separate the couple and put security at the doors. I'm sure they will be handed over to local authorities in St. Thomas tomorrow - or just put off the ship if the authorities don't feel that either of them will be in harms way. Crazy, go on a cruise to do that?:confused:

We saw the same thing on one of our cruises. The next time we stopped at a port the security guard was gone and so were the passengers in that cabin.

that happened on one of our cruises too. Heard they got in a fight and trashed the room but who knows.

Apparently a case of domestic violence - had to separate the couple and put security at the doors. I'm sure they will be handed over to local authorities in St. Thomas tomorrow - or just put off the ship if the authorities don't feel that either of them will be in harms way. Crazy, go on a cruise to do that?:confused:

DV can happen anywhere. With loads of booze, and sun, a bad mood can turn violent at a moments notice. Peoples problems and issues don't disappear when the ba-dunk-a-dunk machines chimes them onto the ship.