Lord Sheffield Review - this is the BEST!!!

viking30

I cannot say enough good things about this. This was the highlight of our 11 night RCI Brilliance cruise that we just returned from. We have been on 6 cruises and I think this is the best excursion we have ever done. This is the first time I have posted a review on ANYTHING, that tells you how strongly I feel about it!

I did not have a lot of information when we decided to book this, lots of people asking questions but I did not find a lot of answers, and the price was SO LOW, I have to admit I wondered what the catch was?

I also have to say that I was very UN-impressed with the Fantasy daysail in St Thomas, which we did 2 days before this. We paid 3x the price and there was absolutely NO comparison. We really kicked ourselves for spending so much money on that one, but that is another story.

Anyway, "we" include my husband and our 3 yr old daughter. I was a little nervous about bringing her on something like this, but it turned out great, she had a blast.

Cpts Rob and Mike made us feel welcome immediately. We were very surprised there were only 3 other people on the sail except for us, we expected it to be full. (I can't believe that the cruislines were selling out these jam-packed catamarans and no one is booking this one) Rob and Mike were so nice and hospitable, always offering drinks and seeing what they could do to make you happy. The food was SO good, trays of cheese, bread, mussels, and they actually had a full grill connected to the back of the boat where Rob grilled BBQ chicken! They had the most amazing rum punches, I normally am not a big rum punch fan but I just kept drinking them and drinking them! They had Buffet playing in the background, it was a perfect day.

Our daughter got her sea legs quickly and was mesmerized by the tall sails and watching Rob climb up into the mast to set the sails. We were very lucky to have a clear day with smooth water, it was absolutely beautiful.

The highlight of the trip was when we stopped to swim. Our daughter had a floaty vest on and was happily floating next to the boat in the clear water with my husband (with a beer in one hand and a noodle in the other) - when Rob asked me if I might like to climb up the mast and jump from a perch WAY up there - I decided, "Why not?" (more to see the shocked look on my husband's face) I shimmied up there and JUMPED into the water - 35 feet in the air, my daughter yelled "That's my mommy!" as I jumped - I will never forget it!!

The only time our daughter acted up was when we told her it was time to get out of the water, and then when it was time to get off the boat! I also overheard one of the others that was on the sail with us (an 18 year old boy who was traveling with his mother) say that it was one of the best experiences he had ever had.

As you can tell from this lengthy review I thought this was well worth sharing with others - I have learned a lot from these boards and wanted to make sure I passed along this gem of a sail to others.

Viking30: Thanks for the review. I have the Lord Sheffield booked for my cruise next week. I have only read good things about this excursion and I'm really looking forward to it. I'll post my review when I get back.

Marly

Wow, this sounds terrific, especially since we"ve cruised to St. Maarten twice before. We're leaving Jan.2 and i will certainly investigate this further. Hi Marley!! We meet again-must be fate. I eagerly await your review. Thanks to all for these posts on this sail adventure. Muzzy

This glowing review was perfectly timed. We are booked 12/21 (the first day of winter! ahhhh) when the Navigator is in Philipsburg. We had seen the Lord Sheffield listed here on CC and decided to research it. We emailed them and Captain Rob emailed us back immediately. We have corresponded several times. I am glad to hear that he is as nice in person as he is online! I think that all 3 of us (dad, mom, and 8 yo son/pirate) will have a blast.

Cheers!

We will be on the Lord Sheffield during Spring Break 2005!! I had only read one review and decided to "go for it". Now I'm truly excited. Thanks for taking the time to review.

Tmmull...long time no hear. How are you and Barb? The VA Cruisers are getting together tomorrow (dec. 19th) for a little holiday cheer! Let us know how you guys enjoy Lord Sheffields!

Robin

Just back from our cruise -- HI Muzzy 10!!!!! Lord Sheffield is a must!!!! We had a wonderful time. It was just my husband and I and another couple. Captain Rob, Mike and Erica were on board, as well as some musician friends of theirs. Everyone was as nice as they could possibly be. They provided us with everything from sunscreen to lunch to sing alongs. It was a wonderful way to spend the day, and I can't wait to go back to St. Martin to do it again!

If you're looking for an excursion with a personal touch and one that gets you out of the crowd, book this one.

Marly

It's a short walk from where the ships dock to the marina where Lord Sheffield is located. They asked us to be there at 10:45 and we were back by 3:30.

I think they do have a link on their web site for reservations, but if you can't find it, there is a phone number listed.

Marly

Marly, I decided to book this even before you got back, and your great review makes me glad I did. Also , when I told Arnie about this, he never said yes to anything so fast before in his life!We will be on the HAL Oosterdam this time and we'll see hsow that is.. Were you on the Connie again? If so, how did it compare to last year? Muzzy

Muzzy: I'm sure you'll have a good time. Please say hi to Arnie for me! Send me your email address. You can get me by clicking on the Y to the right of my posts.

Zurmoly: I don't think you'll have a problem getting back in time, but if you have any doubts, contact Rob or Mike. I'm sure they'll be more than happy to help you. It's a very personal excursion, you're not one of a crowd.

Marly

We were on the Lord Sheffield on 12/21 and had the best time of our Navigator cruise. Captain Rob and his cousin Erica were fantastic and extremely accomodating hosts. There were 3 families with only children - 2 8 year-old boys and a 12 year-old girl and their parents and ALL of us had an absolute ball. We just can't say enough good things about it! We ate baguettes, cheese, smoked oysters, smoked fish, and barbecued chicken wings (cooked on the grill on the back of the boat!). We drank the best rum punch ever, Heinekens, Cokes, and Ting (Jamaican soda that's better than Fresca). We snorkeled, noodled, jumped from the bow and crow's nest, napped, and hung out. Everyone was so friendly, relaxed, and happy, happy, happy! Captain Rob does a fantastic job. We highly recommend this excursion to everyone who goes to St. Maarten. :D

Here is a link to our webshots album. http://community.webshots.com/album/237790311wyqUXw

Thanks for a great time, Rob and Erica!

I am really interested in this tour, but wondering if it caters mostly to families with kids. We are traveling without the kiddies and while I don't mind having kids on the boat, I am wondering if we will be out of place with everyone else having kids with them. Any thoughts?

Based on the glowing reviews we read on here, we've booked with the Pirates of St. Maarten's for 1/12. I have one picky question. Does the boat supply the floaty vest that kids can use, or do we need to bring our own? I have two sons, 4 and 6, who might need some extra help staying afloat.

Thanks for all of these tips.

Archived