Did the crew deserve a raise in THIS economy?

Did the crew deserve a raise in THIS economy?  

669 members have voted

1. 1. Did the crew deserve a raise in THIS economy?

• Yes they deserve it and they should get
    • Yes they deserve it,but not in this economy
    • No
    • No, lets do a zombie march at CCL headquarters.

I know they work hard and long hours but in this economy should they really have gotton a 15% raise?

When you vote in this poll, please vote as it relates to your town workers.

I am refering to your school teachers,Police,and Firefighters. I know in mine,they needed to take a pay cut and they needed to take a few days off without pay.

If you have money to throw around then please vote yes and then mail a check to your local school system.:D

I know the tips are adjustable,but until they allow you to do it from the privacy of your own cabin they make it difficult for the average person to do.

If you think they deserve it,you have the right to tip extra or increase it,not the cruiseline doing it for you.They claim they figure it out based on industry standards,but what industry is doing so great right now? OH I forgot...Wallstreet.

I know they work hard and long hours but in this economy should they really have gotton a 15% raise?

I am refering to your school teachers,Police,and Firefighters. I know in mine,they needed to take a pay cut and they needed to take a few days off without pay.

If you have money to throw around then please vote yes and then mail a check to your local school system.:D

I know the tips are adjustable,but until they allow you to do it from the privacy of your own cabin they make it difficult for the average person to do.

If you think they deserve it,you have the right to tip extra or increase it,not the cruiseline doing it for you.They claim they figure it out based on industry standards,but what industry is doing so great right now? OH I forgot...Wallstreet.

Not trying to skew the possible results of the poll are you? :D

I read on another thread that the tips had not been raised in 6 or 7 years (at least)! That's a long time to go between raises, don't you think! Note that ships still sail at full capacity - even in this economy. The crew works very hard, and deserves every penny.

I read on another thread that the tips had not been raised in 6 or 7 years (at least)! That's a long time to go between raises, don't you think! Note that ships still sail at full capacity - even in this economy. The crew works very hard, and deserves every penny.

Ditto on your post.

The room steward makes 20 cents more pp now, far from 15% (it seems most of the raise is going to the miscellaneous staff, i.e. the buffet workers and I doubt when it's all divided out that it equals 15%, either).

IMHO all of our teachers, policemen, firefighters and municipal employees have been way overpaid for decades. Of course, my municipality may be very different from yours.

I don't believe that an increase in the suggested tip constitutes a raise. Your poll doesn't have any option for me.

Keith

I'm happy to pay the extra $1.50 per day ($10.50 for a 7-day cruise). As others have said, the workers put in long hours and do their best to serve us well. I nearly always give extra $$$ at the end of a cruise anyway. I just wish Carnival had been more open about it rather than just sneaking it in like this. Nancy

My first cruise was in 1995. I'm quite confident it was $10 per person per day then.

IMHO all of our teachers, policemen, firefighters and municipal employees have been way overpaid for decades. Of course, my municipality may be very different from yours.

Keith

Are you serious? I am guessing when they are stopping someone from robbing your home or putting out a fire that is burning your home to the ground, you may think differently.

And as far as the teachers(and no, I am not a teacher), how do you put a price on those that educate the young when the administrators(who last I checked aren't teaching anyone) are raking in the money.

I don't understand how is it difficult to adjust the tips? If you truly feel that it is something the staff does not deserve, is it that difficult to go to Guest Services to have the tip amount adjusted? Or is it just embarrassing?

Am I missing something. You are asking us if the crew deserved a raise, but then asking for us to vote as it relates to our town workers?

yes! they do deserve a raise. i have never even been on a cruise, but before i had the 'job' i have now, i waited tables, ect... its hard to humble yourself to serve others. its not as easy as people make it look. some people have no choice but to work these types of jobs, and they deserve respect, and enough money to live on.

now... another opinion... why dont carnival just increase the fare rate and pay them out of that? that way its no ones business what they make and they wont have to depend on selfish people who may retract the tips? yes, it may look cheaper by doing it the way they do it, but in reality its not any cheaper, and i think people would rather just know what they are paying up front. And should tip also because its just the right thing to do.

i would never go have a meal and not tip, so why in the world would you not tip on a cruise. never have cruised, but i just dont get why people are sooo upset. if you cant afford to tip, you really shouldnt go-in my opinion.:o

I don't understand how is it difficult to adjust the tips? If you truly feel that it is something the staff does not deserve, is it that difficult to go to Guest Services to have the tip amount adjusted? Or is it just embarrassing?

Neither. I remove them and tip in cash always. But the question of "Why" should not be asked.

When you eat out and leave a 15% tip,you do not have to explain why,so why when boarding,before noon on the first day,do they even have to ask why? You have not even eaten,or have been to your cabin yet so there is no reason to ask why.

Why before noon or as soon as boarding? Because they can't question anyone because you have not interacted with no one.

In my opinion, you're confusing 2 unrelated issues. Comparing their rates of pay to teachers, police officers, etc in our "home town"? Way too many variables for that comparison. Not sure which argument you want fought here because that's what it seems your post is prompting.

Since this is a website pertaining to cruising, I'll stick to the question about that and not get heated about rates of pay for other hard working folks. I think Carnival crew deserve every single nickel (or is it penny?!) and then some, that they earn. They are hardworking under difficult conditions -- can't imagine having to live that way to support my family. 9 times out of 10 I end up wishing I could tip them even more than we already do.

Neither. I remove them and tip in cash always. But the question of "Why" should not be asked.

When you eat out and leave a 15% tip,you do not have to explain why,so why when boarding,before noon on the first day,do they even have to ask why? You have not even eaten,or have been to your cabin yet so there is no reason to ask why.

Why before noon or as soon as boarding? Because they can't question anyone because you have not interacted with no one.

You stated in your original post that it is difficult for the "average" person to have them removed. Its not difficult at all. Just go to Guest Services. However, does Guest Services ask you "why" when you request to have them adjusted or removed? If so, you are correct, they shouldn't ask you to defend that choice.

Am I missing something. You are asking us if the crew deserved a raise, but then asking for us to vote as it relates to our town workers?

Do your teachers,police and firefighters deserve a raise?

Everyone gets upset at tax increases,overides get shot down real bad to the tune of 90+% agaist a tax increase (locally), yet CCL takes it upon themselves to raise the tax,I mean tips. Yet here on this BB its the other way around.90+% are in favor of the tax,I mean tips being raised.

Whats wrong with that? As long as its for vacation, who cares if our teachers are underpaid and our classrooms are overcrowded right?

yes! They do deserve a raise. I have never even been on a cruise, but before i had the 'job' i have now, i waited tables, ect... Its hard to humble yourself to serve others. Its not as easy as people make it look. Some people have no choice but to work these types of jobs, and they deserve respect, and enough money to live on.

Now... Another opinion... Why dont carnival just increase the fare rate and pay them out of that? That way its no ones business what they make and they wont have to depend on selfish people who may retract the tips? Yes, it may look cheaper by doing it the way they do it, but in reality its not any cheaper, and i think people would rather just know what they are paying up front. And should tip also because its just the right thing to do.

I would never go have a meal and not tip, so why in the world would you not tip on a cruise. Never have cruised, but i just dont get why people are sooo upset. If you cant afford to tip, you really shouldnt go-in my opinion.:o

ditto!

In my opinion, you're confusing 2 unrelated issues. Comparing their rates of pay to teachers, police officers, etc in our "home town"? Way too many variables for that comparison. Not sure which argument you want fought here because that's what it seems your post is prompting.

Since this is a website pertaining to cruising, I'll stick to the question about that and not get heated about rates of pay for other hard working folks. I think Carnival crew deserve every single nickel (or is it penny?!) and then some, that they earn. They are hardworking under difficult conditions -- can't imagine having to live that way to support my family. 9 times out of 10 I end up wishing I could tip them even more than we already do.

So we agree they deserve it, much like my lumping in the hometown issues.They all deserve it,but in this economy should they be getting a raise while everyone takes a cut or stays where they have been for years?

teachers are underpaid and our classrooms are overcrowded right?

What is your stance? In you instagatory post you said, "I know in mine,they needed to take a pay cut and they needed to take a few days off without pay."

Which I initially declined to comment on, since this is a cruise board & I thought that the poll/question was regarding the $1.50 increase.

But if you are upset that the teachers/firemen/police officers in your area are paid too much, don't take it out on them & try to decrease their pay, try to increase your own pay & get yourself some better benefits instead.

Archived