Access to Cabbage Beach other than at the Rui? (Scubagirl?)

#1TravelMom

We entered at the Rui a few months ago, but it was EXTREMELY rough and stormy. It was a a very brief visit. On the satellite map - it looks like there is a LONG stretch of beach in the opposite direction as Atlantis. I'm wondering if there is anywhere else to access this beach - other than at the Rui???

If we enter at the Rui again this visit - is it possible to walk the length of this beach or is it private at some point?

We entered at the Rui a few months ago, but it was EXTREMELY rough and stormy. It was a a very brief visit. On the satellite map - it looks like there is a LONG stretch of beach in the opposite direction as Atlantis. I'm wondering if there is anywhere else to access this beach - other than at the Rui???

If we enter at the Rui again this visit - is it possible to walk the length of this beach or is it private at some point?

Cabbage Beach, along the north side of paradise Island, is open to the public.. sort of.

There are pockets of beachfront along the way that are somewhat protected by hotel security, so you can walk by, but you can't plop yourself down or use their chairs etc. Other areas are open, but there are no chairs for rent or drinks for sale. It's just a stretch of beach.

There' is another entrance next to the paradise island beach club, but it 's not easy to find.

The thing to remember about this beach is that it's usually somewhat rough, has an undertow or even rip currents, and that there are safety in numbers. Noone along the beach means that there is noone there to save you if you are dragged off the beach from the harsh waves.

Cabbage Beach, along the north side of paradise Island, is open to the public.. sort of.

There are pockets of beachfront along the way that are somewhat protected by hotel security, so you can walk by, but you can't plop yourself down or use their chairs etc. Other areas are open, but there are no chairs for rent or drinks for sale. It's just a stretch of beach.

There' is another entrance next to the paradise island beach club, but it 's not easy to find.

The thing to remember about this beach is that it's usually somewhat rough, has an undertow or even rip currents, and that there are safety in numbers. Noone along the beach means that there is noone there to save you if you are dragged off the beach from the harsh waves.

Are parts of Cable Beach "free" or do you have to utlize one of the resort hotels?

Edited by NJBill

Are parts of Cable Beach "free" or do you have to utlize one of the resort hotels?

Parts are free, but they have no amenities, not maintained, and in most areas you can't walk freely due to rock walls or other obstructions along the way. Hotel Security will keep you from accessing hotel beaches, even along the water line.

Keep in mind that we have crime here. And being alone on a deserted beach is not necessarily smart.

If we are walking from the Cloisters - would it be closer to enter at the Paradise Island Beach Club? Is the water calmer in this area or is it rough along that whole stretch of beach?

Is there access to Arawak or Smugglers Beach open to the public? If yes, are these areas calm?

If we are walking from the Cloisters - would it be closer to enter at the Paradise Island Beach Club? Is the water calmer in this area or is it rough along that whole stretch of beach?

Is there access to Arawak or Smugglers Beach open to the public? If yes, are these areas calm?

From the Cloisters, you would have to cut thru Ocean Club, and that's not permitted.

Entering near PI Beach Club would be fine. (you can't enter thru the club, it's private property).

Don't know where Arawak Beach is?? Smugglers Beach is a long walk and you have to walk on private Property to get to it. It's the mouth of the harbour. Every time I've gone by (by boat) it's a mess, with tons of debris and old sea weed.

Keep in mind. Once you hit the area where there are private homes and the golf course, it's not an easy walk. EIther rocks and jetties in the way, or security running you off. It's Private for a reason.

All waters on the North (northeast) side of the island can be rough.. depending on the weather.

Edited by scubagirrl

Thanks for all the info. I think we will visit the Cloisters and walk to Cabbage. If it's rough, we'll just play in the sand - the kids love the sand. We are planning on taking the water taxi back. We've taken it several times and it always seemed fine - great view of Atlantis and the ships in the harbor. I'm surprised that everyone is saying it's practically a death trap. I'm thinking that it may be faster or at least more scenic than a LONG taxi ride.

Thanks for all the info. I think we will visit the Cloisters and walk to Cabbage. If it's rough, we'll just play in the sand - the kids love the sand. We are planning on taking the water taxi back. We've taken it several times and it always seemed fine - great view of Atlantis and the ships in the harbor. I'm surprised that everyone is saying it's practically a death trap. I'm thinking that it may be faster or at least more scenic than a LONG taxi ride.

It's more scenic but not faster. They wait till the boat fills up, which can take a while. I enjoyed the water taxi the time we took it, but I have to admit that I was glad I was sitting next to the edge so I could jump out quickly if we started sinking. :)