Continuing Education Cruises.

fnewman

I've heard about cruises that are specially designed to satisfy continuing education requirements for doctors, lawyers, etc. On those, you attend classes on days at sea, receive CEU credit, then get to write the whole thing off.

Does anyone know of any such cruises for Professional Engineers?

TIA

• Like 1

• 7 years later...

I am not aware of any. But if you see some posted by University at Sea, be very wary. I signed up for a CLE (continuing legal education), paid $700, spent the better part of two of my days at sea in a classroom and got nothing because University at Sea was not accredited in my state and did not apply for credit. They have not refunded my money, even for the tuition. Also, be aware that the IRS does not allow deduction of travel expenses for continuing education on board cruise ships. To me, it's just a bad deal to waste your time aboard a beautiful cruise ship sitting in a windowless classroom.

• 7 months later...

A few years ago I went on a cruise that was a conference / Continuing Education event for Volunteer Firefighters. I did not try and deduct it, but one of the other participants said his accountant told him he could only because there was no way to separate the travel / food / lodging from the cruise. He did say that shore excursions were not included in that.

As for the schedule, we only had two 2 hour sessions on each of the three sea days, so there was plenty of time for fun. I wonder if the number of hours would make a difference?