How much is a medical evacuation?

Interesting. Others on this thread have pointed out that at least the Army (and possibly other branches) would do it for free as well. Also some have pointed out that other countries do it for free too.

yeap. but you need to understand that you would NOT necessarily be evac'd DIRECTLY to the US.

if the nearest Hospital ain't American, then it don't matter who is transporting you off the ship. the Navy and CG are frequently VERY far away from home.. and if they are the closest resource (assume they get can get to you before the cruise ship can reach a port capable of handling the emergency) they will transport you to the closest location.

if it take 8 hours to reach port , but a nearby Navy vessel has a bird capable of reaching the ship in half an hour and then getting you to that same port in another 90 minutes and the on board physician says you need that appendix out ten minutes ago, it may cost you nothing to leave the ship and get to the hospital, but everything that comes after.. is gonna cost you BIG.

most people understand that there is FAR more to a medical evacuation than just the trip from ship to wherever

Typical costs:

• Air ambulance service typically is covered by health insurance in certain types of emergencies or if a doctor certifies that air transport is medically necessary, and if a patient is going to the nearest appropriate facility. If transport is being done for convenience, such as to relocate nearer to family, it might not be covered. For example, BlueCross Blue Shield of Alabama[1] covers air transport on many of its policies, including transportation to a hospital near home for patients injured or hospitalized more than 200 miles from home. For patients with health insurance, out-of-pocket costs typically consist of a copay of less than $50 to $500 or more, or coinsurance of 10 % to 50% or more for a total that could reach the yearly out-of-pocket maximum.
  • For patients without health insurance, the cost of air ambulance service typically depends on: the current cost of jet fuel, the type of aircraft used, the distance flown and the type of medical staff required. The total can be less than $2,000 for a short flight to almost $50,000 for a longer domestic flight to $200,000 or more for an international flight. For example, Air Ambulance 1[2] charges about $2,500 for a 55-mile flight on a twin-engine propeller plane, staffed by paramedics, from Saint Joseph, MO, to Kansas City, MO. Air Ambulance 1 charges about $25,000 for a flight on a light jet, staffed by paramedics, from Kansas City to Los Angeles. National Air Ambulance charges about $37,400 for a flight from New York to California staffed by a nurse and paramedic. For a flight from Arizona to Australia, Air Ambulance 1 charges about $155,000 on a light jet, if staffed by paramedics (about $160,000 if staffed by a doctor and nurse) or about $177,000 on a mid-sized jet (about $182,000 if staffed by a doctor and nurse).

Even with travel insurance, wouldnt one need access to that kind of money in case a medi vac is needed because you have to pay up front and then wait for reimbursement from the insurance?

Im sure there are a few here with access to that kind of money but Im willing to bet most of cant. I certainly know that I cant.

Wondering what one does in that instance? Its scary enough to make me wonder about cruising as a vacation. At least Im covered by health insurance here in the US and if I get hurt, the medical provider bills insurance directly. No paying out of pocket and waiting on reimbursement.

Seems to me that even with travel insurance, most people would still be in trouble financially.

Edited by ryano

Seems to me that even with travel insurance, most people would still be in trouble financially.

Ryano, we are not rich and that is why we get travel insurance when we cruise. The policies we get include $25K air ambulance coverage.

It is a thought many poo poo here but if you are in need of this part of the insurance while out of your country it would be terrible not to be able to get home for medical care. Take care my friend!

I think the key here is that a medevac is from the ship to the nearest hospital facility. Whether that is by CG or some other governmental unit, it would only be the tip of the iceberg as far as costs go. I expect the CG (for example operating out of Puerto Rico) would most likely take you to either the USVI or San Juan, regardless of where your embarkation port was located. Likewise, CG operating out of Florida may very well take you to Key West or Miami - even if you sailed out of another Florida port, if that is the quickest way to get medical attention.

Once their rotors stop, you're on the hook for everything else until you're back home - and that's where the bucks start to rack up.

yeap. but you need to understand that you would NOT necessarily be evac'd DIRECTLY to the US.

if the nearest Hospital ain't American, then it don't matter who is transporting you off the ship. the Navy and CG are frequently VERY far away from home.. and if they are the closest resource (assume they get can get to you before the cruise ship can reach a port capable of handling the emergency) they will transport you to the closest location.

if it take 8 hours to reach port , but a nearby Navy vessel has a bird capable of reaching the ship in half an hour and then getting you to that same port in another 90 minutes and the on board physician says you need that appendix out ten minutes ago, it may cost you nothing to leave the ship and get to the hospital, but everything that comes after.. is gonna cost you BIG.

most people understand that there is FAR more to a medical evacuation than just the trip from ship to wherever

I understand all this, but the question was,

"Just curious if anyone knows how much a medical evacuation from the ship to nearest island (pick any) is?"

And the answer is, in many cases, free.

So any post that provides additional factual information that increases the level of understanding of the topic being discussed and may very well answer the inevitable questions that arise as a result of the first should be avoided at all costs. Gotcha ;)

Check your personal medical insurance as well. BCBS pays air ambulance to nearest hospital with appropriate facilities to handle the patients injury or illness..

Check your personal medical insurance as well. BCBS pays air ambulance to nearest hospital with appropriate facilities to handle the patients injury or illness..

Depends on your policy. With the advent of PPACA, BC/BS (all the carriers actually) is writing policies with very steep co-pays and high deductables, and significant limitations in coverage. Cadillac policies have full coverage, but lesser Gov't mandated policies may not.

Thanks everyone! I'm actually surprised at some of the low numbers! Yes, I was checking to see how much coverage I need. I use World Nomads for insurance and one policy had $300,000 coverage for evac/repatriation and another had $500,000. Think I'll be okay with the $300,000.

Just curious if anyone knows how much a medical evacuation from the ship to nearest island (pick any) is?

My mother was medevaced from Mexico to Texas (she insisted that she did not want to go to a Mexican hospital.) The plane was a private jet for my mother and father. The cost was 25,000 US dollars and paid for by their insurance. In fact, their insurance paid for the entire hospital stay in Texas as well as their flight home to California. Insurance paid for everything.

I never leave home without it. Just my opinion.

A couple we know, her husband had an emergency and he was put in a hospital in the Capital city of Rome. She is a TA by trade and working with her insurance, the Embassy, got him moved to a better facility and when he was stable, his air was covered to get him back to the States accompanied by a nurse. We have extra Insurance as well.

When we were on the Oasis several years ago, there was an announcement that we will be returning to St. Thomas that night for a medical emergency. We got back at 9:30pm. We had to dock and the ambulance was waiting with the US Ambassador and several dock workers and the pilot boat to lead us in. I don't know the cost but I can't imagine that was free.

Sometimes ship may turn back, maybe run faster and consume more fuel or sail a detour to the nearest island or city with a hospital.

On our Trans-Atlantic cruise, we had to sail a road around the Azores.

In all cases there will be an additional expense.

RXGfMDGMjpY

My mother was medevaced from Mexico to Texas (she insisted that she did not want to go to a Mexican hospital.) The plane was a private jet for my mother and father. The cost was 25,000 US dollars and paid for by their insurance. In fact, their insurance paid for the entire hospital stay in Texas as well as their flight home to California. Insurance paid for everything.

I never leave home without it. Just my opinion.

But they had to pay upfront and wait on reimbursement right? Which brings me back to my original thought. Even WITH travel insurance, an accident requiring medical attention off the ship or medi vac could sink some people financially. I always carry travel insurance but I do know I dont have access to 25, 50 or 100 grand. Not many I know do either.

Edited by ryano

But they had to pay upfront and wait on reimbursement right? Which brings me back to my original thought. Even WITH travel insurance, an accident requiring medical attention off the ship or medi vac could sink some people financially. I always carry travel insurance but I do know I dont have access to 25, 50 or 100 grand. Not many I know do either.

Complete speculation on my part, but my guess is that an air ambulance would have to be approved by both the attending physician and someone at the insurance company as medically necessary prior to the plane ever taking off to pick you up. In that case, the air ambulance company may accrue the costs until all of the paperwork clears. If you don't have any insurance, you'd probably have to put a hefty down payment on your credit card.

Sometimes ship may turn back, maybe run faster and consume more fuel or sail a detour to the nearest island or city with a hospital.

On our Trans-Atlantic cruise, we had to sail a road around the Azores.

In all cases there will be an additional expense.

RXGfMDGMjpY

We've turned around twice on R/T Hawaii cruises. On one the captain said the additional fuel costs for cruising at 24.8 knots for four days was $250,000. (we set a fleet speed record)

The cost was absorbed by the line.