Wheelchair cabins. Ugh!

So apparent,y now rcl has changed their policy and don't require documentation to reserve the wheelchair cabins. I understand why and can get behind it. However, now I'm sure there are people reserving it who don't need. Just went to book our anthem cruise for next year and no wheelchair balcony rooms available for my dad- in fact no wheelchair accessible rooms at all the two weeks we considered sailing. It just sucks that people who can't sail otherwise can't go.

So apparent,y now rcl has changed their policy and don't require documentation to reserve the wheelchair cabins. I understand why and can get behind it. However, now I'm sure there are people reserving it who don't need. Just went to book our anthem cruise for next year and no wheelchair balcony rooms available for my dad- in fact no wheelchair accessible rooms at all the two weeks we considered sailing. It just sucks that people who can't sail otherwise can't go.

RCCL has not changed it's policy regarding the booking of Accessible cabins. In fact as result of a USA Federal Law under the Department of Transportation that went into effect on 1/1/2012 that applies to cruises embarking from a USA RCCL is required to comply with the following :

(g) To prevent fraud in the assignment of accessible cabins (e.g., attempts by individuals who do not have disabilities to reserve accessible cabins because they have greater space, you—

(1) Must inquire of persons seeking to reserve such cabins whether the individual (or an individual for whom the cabin is being reserved) has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

(2) May require a written attestation from the individual that accessible cabin is for a person who has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

As result of this Law RCCL requires anyone booking an accessible to certify the need for such cabin and states so on the on-line check-in. Being that most people who require an accessible cabin book well in advance even up to 1 1/2 years or longer and as is often the case with new ships people requiring an accessible cabin book as soon as the itineraries are published it quite reasonable that all accessible cabins have been legitimately booked.

For the record I require the need for an accessible cabin and typically booked at least 1 1/2 years in advance. I've also been known to book 2 years out.

Edited by xxoocruiser

It would be so much better if RCCL and the other lines had a better way of handling folks with scooters. There are only a few HC rooms available - we too must book at least 18 months in advance. (no "deals" for us!) While we require the roll in shower and more room for my power wheelchair (not a scooter) many of those in scooters could use a regular cabin if the door was just a little wider. Many scooter users have told us they only need the scooter to get around the ship and that they didn't need the other HC accommodations. I've often suggested ideas such as "parking areas" on each deck for scooters, etc. But for now, the cruise lines don't see a problem. Sigh....

It would be so much better if RCCL and the other lines had a better way of handling folks with scooters. There are only a few HC rooms available - we too must book at least 18 months in advance. (no "deals" for us!) While we require the roll in shower and more room for my power wheelchair (not a scooter) many of those in scooters could use a regular cabin if the door was just a little wider. Many scooter users have told us they only need the scooter to get around the ship and that they didn't need the other HC accommodations. I've often suggested ideas such as "parking areas" on each deck for scooters, etc. But for now, the cruise lines don't see a problem. Sigh....

You have identified a glaring flaw in the classification process that should be addressed by the appropriate regulatory agency. That is, of course, the level of disability. Some people are wheelchair bound and must have a certain cabin layout including a roll-in shower. Others may need a scooter but can stand and walk for limited distances.

The cruise industry actually does a pretty good job accommodating its handicapped guests. When guests book a handicapped cabin they know what they are getting. Not so with many hotels. Some consider having a grab bar in the shower as a handicapped accessible room.

As someone suggested, a little wider cabin door could make more cabins accessible for scooter users but until a classification system of identifying true needs is established booking well in advance seems like the only choice many cruisers have.

I agree. I also must book cabins at least a year in advance to secure an HC cabin. I wish we had more options and I would be thrilled with a modified cabin that had a wider door to work with scooter. I would need a little room to turn around but I don't need a roll in shower. Maybe there should be scooter cabins! We need a good charging spot and an automatic opening door would be great. I can always dream. I would love being able to afford a balcony but I don't need a ramp.

Since I am dreaming.....how about seating that is a little taller? I will be out there with my scooter, walker and cane but I hope the cruise lines are listening. Do any of the cruise lines have dedicated elevators for special needs travelers? I am sorry to make other wait as we roll on and off elevators.

Thank you for the increased HC restrooms but let's keep working together to make our experience safe and comfortable. Most of the staff are great and very helpful.

Happy travels

4boysnana

I agree. I also must book cabins at least a year in advance to secure an HC cabin. I wish we had more options and I would be thrilled with a modified cabin that had a wider door to work with scooter. I would need a little room to turn around but I don't need a roll in shower. Maybe there should be scooter cabins! We need a good charging spot and an automatic opening door would be great. I can always dream. I would love being able to afford a balcony but I don't need a ramp.

Since I am dreaming.....how about seating that is a little taller? I will be out there with my scooter, walker and cane but I hope the cruise lines are listening. Do any of the cruise lines have dedicated elevators for special needs travelers? I am sorry to make other wait as we roll on and off elevators.

Thank you for the increased HC restrooms but let's keep working together to make our experience safe and comfortable. Most of the staff are great and very helpful.

Happy travels

4boysnana

What about seating that is also wider as well as higher. I have really bad hips and find that most of the seats are too small.

Hi,

I use a small mobility scooter and book a standard superior balcony cabin and there is plenty of room to get it through the door and to store it it the cabin. I live in the UK and have previously sailed with P and O but stopped cruising with them when they would only allow scooters in disabled cabins or in suites. Two reasons I did this was 1. I can't book far enough in advance to get one and 2. there are people who could not cruise without the facilities of those cabins, I just request a shower stool and I can manage fine. Also I was not prepared to be forced into paying much more for a suite. I am now looking forward to the Explorer of the seas in 11 days

I agree. I use a scooter so must have an HC (unless I book a GS, which is not in my budget at the moment). If they make a parking area with plug ins I could use a regular room (as long as I don't have to walk too far, MS). I always book at least a year out. This year I book 351 days out and got the last HC on the Anthem for 5/5/16. It is an inside. (But at least I am on the ship).

Maybe RCCL will read this and think on it. Not all scooter people need HC except for the scooter.

Edited by CaptData

So apparent,y now rcl has changed their policy and don't require documentation to reserve the wheelchair cabins. I understand why and can get behind it. However, now I'm sure there are people reserving it who don't need. Just went to book our anthem cruise for next year and no wheelchair balcony rooms available for my dad- in fact no wheelchair accessible rooms at all the two weeks we considered sailing. It just sucks that people who can't sail otherwise can't go.[/QUOTE]

There is no way for you to be sure that people are reserving handicap cabins who are not as deserving as your dad. These cabins are for those with any disability--they are not "wheelchair" cabins. And yes, we book as much as two years out to reserve a cabin that will have the features needed. Consider that all ships can book out all cabins long before sailing. It's luck of the draw as to whether anyone gets the specific cabin they want/require (balcony, suite, handicap) and it's best to be flexible as to dates if a certain cabin is wanted.

Edited by gadaboutgal

What about seating that is also wider as well as higher.

Alas, I have found that seating on cruise ships is mostly designed to fit Munchkins and Oompa Loompas. The only thing I've ever found wide and high is a volleyball net. :p

The level of paperwork he used to hVe to submit was unreal. This time they didn't ask for anything and our travel agent told us it was no longer necessary which was why I assumed the policy had changed. In all our years of booking one year out its never been an issue. I agree perhaps modified accessibility ( ie larger doors) would be so much better down the road to accommodate those who just need modifications vs those who can't sail without shower modifications, lower beds etc.

What about seating that is also wider as well as higher. I have really bad hips and find that most of the seats are too small.

I like your style! I have asked for a chair with no arms in restaurants or dining rooms that have miniature seating.

I have a bad leg, I should be walking with a cane but I hate it!! My doctors would prefer if I am going to be doing a lot of 'moving around' I bring my wheelchair with me, which is a pain to load in my little car, and I also don't like it!! I don't walk around for fun, luckily I also hate shopping.:rolleyes:

When we were looking to book Harmony we went back and forth over a GS, OS, Loft and the Aqua. We narrowed it down to the loft (with an elevator) and the Aqua with the long walk...When I called RCI to inquire about the loft, they said I would need to show proof of my disability when boarding, if I did not have proof, there was a chance I would be denied access to the ship if they were full...

It would be nice if there were more disabled rooms or maybe 2 categories of the type of disability needs. Such as, the roll in shower vs scooter space for someone who can stand/step in the shower.

Several times we have been assigned them when booking a 'guarantee' category cabin & they had not been taken. These are usually assigned fairly close to sailing.

I prefer a regular cabin & try to switch if possible.

If you can cruise inside of 75 days, a lot of times HA cabins will open up right after final payment date as well. Things happen. People cancel.

Also, the last cruise I was on I booked 8 months before sail away. There was a plethora of HA cabins in all categories available. Yes, its smart to book HA cabins way in advance but its not always a must.

I use a folding mobility scooter when cruising. It fits easily in the door of any cabin and then I park it out of the way in the cabin until I need it again. I use it basically for getting around some parts of the ship and do not need a HC cabin at all.

Our former travel agent once booked us into a HC cabin many years ago thinking he was giving us a special treat. Hated it! Had no mobility problems in those years and absolutely hated the bathroom. Tried to change cabin thinking someone else might really need that type of cabin, but the ship was full, so we were stuck for 7 days with it!

This is maybe a dumb question but I'm just wondering after reading this thread, how do wheelchair bound people get in airplanes? There's a lot of things I as an able bodied person never would have thought about, but reading about how the width of the doors make it so people can't get their chairs inside regular cabins made me wonder how airplanes accommodate them? The walkways are barely wide enough to walk through, let alone get a wheelchair into. I know some people can get out and walk a bit, but what about people who are completely wheelchair bound?

This is maybe a dumb question but I'm just wondering after reading this thread, how do wheelchair bound people get in airplanes? There's a lot of things I as an able bodied person never would have thought about, but reading about how the width of the doors make it so people can't get their chairs inside regular cabins made me wonder how airplanes accommodate them? The walkways are barely wide enough to walk through, let alone get a wheelchair into. I know some people can get out and walk a bit, but what about people who are completely wheelchair bound?

Airlines typically have special wheeled chairs that are designed to just barely fit in their aisles for wheelchair-bound passengers to use to get to/from their seats.

Oh ok, I've never seen that used before, but that's probably because whellchair assisted people board first. It's good there's an option to help assist people, but it still doesn't sound like a very good one.

In all the refurbishments, Royal should just make the doors bigger to the cabins they add so that there are some regular room options with wider doors.

Edited by ColoradoGurl

I agree about the doors - and think that it should be achievable to make the doors a little wider (1-2") on a new build. Retrofitting existing cabins would probably be extremely difficult.

Something else I would love to see is a little 'grab handle' for getting up and down into the bathroom - it's an issue for many folks, my dear FIL being one of them. Just a little something for stability.

When we traveled with my MIL, I was usually able to get her a 'mobility' room with a grab handle and some even had shower stools. Again, more about stability than anything else.

Keep the ideas coming!

Wendy

I use a folding mobility scooter when cruising. It fits easily in the door of any cabin and then I park it out of the way in the cabin until I need it again. I use it basically for getting around some parts of the ship and do not need a HC cabin at all.

Our former travel agent once booked us into a HC cabin many years ago thinking he was giving us a special treat. Hated it! Had no mobility problems in those years and absolutely hated the bathroom. Tried to change cabin thinking someone else might really need that type of cabin, but the ship was full, so we were stuck for 7 days with it!

When we were looking at the Loft (w/ elevator) I thought I would suffer thru the upstairs HC bathroom (I hate it too) and let my DH have a normal bathroom downstairs... then I saw photos of the downstairs bathroom and it was a HC bathroom too!! If you are getting to 2 bathroom suite, do they really think everyone in the suite is going to be disabled? ugh

Because of the bathrooms, we will never get a loft suite! I can do stairs occasionally. But while I am on vacation, I don't want to be stuck not being able to go up or down the stirs because my leg is hurting at the moment.

Airlines all have a specially designed aisle wheelchair that the invidual is than taken to an aisle seat that have a collapsible arm rest to assist the passenger to safely transfer into/out of the seat. The passenger's wheelchair is stored in the luggage hold of the plane.