Trying Something New......

Lois R

Hello folks,:) I am a regular cruiser on Celebrity and have cruised overall

more than 40 times so I know all about "Ocean Cruising/Mass Market"...

I recently read about very low SS on Windstar and was wondering if I

could get some feeback from you regular Windstar cruisers. I know it is

totally different than large ships......I am 57 and sail solo. This would

definitely be stepping outside of the box.:) Oh, having other solos on

board does not make any difference to me....I meet folks very easily

and as long as people are friendly, that is more important than marital

status.

I have read many of the postings on here and it seems like food and

service are excellent:D.....

I am looking at these 3 sailings........

BEST OF THE ABC ISLANDS

JEWELS OF THE WINDWARD ISLANDS

YACHTSMAN'S CARIBBEAN

Could I get some feeback from ya'll?:).....I was looking to go this

coming winter/spring.....March 2016 as my birthday gift to me from

me;)

Thanks!

Edited by Lois R

I wouldn't hesitate to go solo on WS. Just saw the cut pricing for singles the other day and immediately called a single girlfriend who is always jealous when I send photos from the BVI'S. Never met anyone on board who wasn't friendly. Met lots of singles sharing rooms so it's not all couples anyhow. As for which trip it just depends on what timing works best for you. We love the Surf but that wouldn't keep us from an itinerary that was good for our schedule. Been to most of the islands on all 3 itineraries and probably partial to Yachtsman Caribbean but you can't miss with any of them.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I wouldn't hesitate to go solo on WS. Just saw the cut pricing for singles the other day and immediately called a single girlfriend who is always jealous when I send photos from the BVI'S. Never met anyone on board who wasn't friendly. Met lots of singles sharing rooms so it's not all couples anyhow. As for which trip it just depends on what timing works best for you. We love the Surf but that wouldn't keep us from an itinerary that was good for our schedule. Been to most of the islands on all 3 itineraries and probably partial to Yachtsman Caribbean but you can't miss with any of them.

Thanks for the quick reply:)....I appreciate it....this may not be

the right board to ask but do you know anything about "STAR CLIPPER"?

I have been reading about them too. They are also having very low

SS sailings.....much less $ than Windstar....I am guessing Windstar is

more of a luxury experience......

Welcome to Windstar. We have cruised only with WS and we love it. Right, service outstanding, food healthy, varied and excellent, luxary without being ostentacious, informal and gracious. We have been in many sailing with singles and it seems like everyone makes friendly efforts to include all. I agree with sb44 The Yachtsman on the Surf, we sailed it three times and we have done the others many times as well and loved them but we love the BVI's best. However, we adore Ils de Saints, Bequia, and Dominica as well. Now that I have made it more difficult for you! Once we thought about Star Clippers but the rooms and the reviews of the food did not seem as good. We really like WS and can not seem to make the jump. I am sure you will feel welcomed and have a great experience. Happy Sailing. Susanne

We ran into a group from Star Clipper on White Beach at Gertrudes on Jost Van Dyke last winter. They were having a blast. Seemed a little more "raucous " than the WS group. More like our old Windjammer days when we slept on deck and drank lots of rum. I asked about their ship and food. Everyone seemed satisfied but not enthusiastic. I think it's a step down from WS but a lot depends on your age and expectations. And of course your budget. They seemed to follow just about the same itinerary as we did on the Surf. Everything is a tender ride in and they tendered right onto the beach where we were let off at a dock. Tendering on to the beach is okay as long as you don't mind a wet landing. Different strokes...

Hey, Lois, It looks like we are destined to go on Windstar! I actually called them to book, but, they were closed. Maybe we'll end up cruising solo together. :D For you Windstar regulars, I'm looking at Yachtsman's Carib and Classic Carib, any thoughts?

Hey, Lois, It looks like we are destined to go on Windstar! I actually called them to book, but, they were closed. Maybe we'll end up cruising solo together. :D For you Windstar regulars, I'm looking at Yachtsman's Carib and Classic Carib, any thoughts?

Maureen, good morning:)......which week are you booking?

Thanks for the quick reply:)....I appreciate it....this may not be

the right board to ask but do you know anything about "STAR CLIPPER"?

I have been reading about them too. They are also having very low

SS sailings.....much less $ than Windstar....I am guessing Windstar is

more of a luxury experience......

Hi Lois! Nice to "see" you :)..

I sailed on Star Clipper and it was a very unique experience. Not at all what I would consider luxury and with few amenities and small cabins. It was a step up from the Windjammer experience for sure but not something I imagine you would enjoy.

IMO, it is best suited to those who love real sailing and want to participate a bit. It was also very rough when I went - that was a Med sailing. I would not do it again.

We are looking at Windstar for my birthday next year if we don't do a river cruise, though that is likely what we will choose. :D

Edited by caviargal

Hi Lois! Nice to "see" you :)..

I sailed on Star Clipper and it was a very unique experience. Not at all what I would consider luxury and with few amenities and small cabins. It was a step up from the Windjammer experience for sure but not something I imagine you would enjoy.

IMO, it is best suited to those who love real sailing and want to participate a bit. It was also very rough when I went - that was a Med sailing. I would not do it again.

We are looking at Windstar for my birthday next year if we don't do a river cruise, though that is likely what we will choose. :D

Hi Kim:)...nice to see you too. I appreciate your input:)

And now that I am posting about this, I keep thinking back a year or

so about doing a River Cruise....I know you love them:D....I know

AMA has solo cabins available......it is Amsterdam/Amsterdam in April.

Now I have to do some more thinking LOL....:eek:...it is the Tulip Time......

Edited by Lois R

I've sailed both WS and Star Clipper ships, and both are worth recommending. I also sailed via the now defunct Windjammer Barefoot Cruises, and I'd have to disagree with thought that Star Clipper is more like Windjammer Barefoot Cruises than like Wind Star.\

I consider Wind Star and Star Clipper ships/experience to be quite similar, altho if I had to put a "star" rating to them for ship, accommodations, service, food, I'd give WS a 5 star, and SC a 4.5-star. Neither is windjammer casual. Their dress is resort casual, and you'd never go to the dining room in flip flops, shorts or a swimsuit as you could/can with a windjammer ship (while WBC is defunct, there still are wonderful windjammer ships crusing the islands). As for passengers, we've found them to be fun, no matter if it's WS or SC. Solo passengers, couples, groups, families: everyone has fun.

There are a couple of main diffs between WS and SC ships (altho I've never been on the largest of the Star Clipper ships, I have sailed the small and large WS ships).

1. Star Clippers seem to be set up more like a working sailing ship. Sometimes you need to go up to go down, out to go around, etc. SC ships are gorgeous, yes, but there sometimes could be a few obstacles to navigate. WS ships are set up primarily for the comfort of the passengers. Our experience in sailing these ships: SC ships had the sails up more. And they let you climb the mast, should you wanna try it.

2. Star Clippers ships are European-based. As a result, shipboard costs are done in euros, and the passengers and crew tend to be more continental: French, German, British, Canadian, Australian, etc. That is what I have enjoyed the most with SC: getting to know people from all over. SC ships always have a passenger/crew talent night, and that is always a blast.

Enjoy, whichever you choose!

Hi JM, thanks so much for your input:)......so when you pay for the cruise

you are being charged in Euros? So the prices on the website are not US $?

No, Star Clippers takes the fare in dollars. But anything we paid for onboard was in euros. You should always confirm that, tho.

Thanks for the information.

I met 3 people on our cruise in May who were traveling by themselves. They all seemed to be having a good time. I found everyone to be very friendly and welcoming on our ship.

Thanks for the reply:).....which ship?:D

I'm booked! Yachtsman's Caribbean on Feb 27!

WOW....that was quick:)...I can never sail at the end of the month.

AND now I am looking at River cruises too.....there are some RiverCruise

lines that have single cabins.......so no SS at all....I am looking at

something in spring...called TULIPTIME:D.....cruising Amsterdam/

Amsterdam.......I want to do both......yikes:confused:

So I am in a real predicment:eek:

Good for you! Great trip. I suggest you look up Gary who owns a catamaran tour excursion. Boat is Kuralu out of Sopers Hole Tortola. We had 6 people from WS who wanted to snorkel the Indians and he had a few others who were vacationing on land. Incredible day. They grow their own veggies and raise chickens for eggs. His wife made the most fabulous lunch ever. Water perfect. Boat nice. One of the best times ever and his dog grommet is the best.

Have another question for ya'll:)....first, As I mentioned I am looking

at cruising in March....I know on the "large ships" this time of year

can have spring breakers.......and you know what they say about

"assuming"....but would I be right in guessing Windstar won't have

that group?....

Also, do most of you book your own flights? And do most of of you

arrive in St Martin a day early?

Thanks for helping me out:)

Hi Lois - if there are any spring breakers I'd be surprised. Maybe a few teens with parents but that's about it. If you can get into st.martin same day it needs to be about 3 or 4 hours before ship leaves. We were last ones on board in January and it was too close. Have gone in early and stayed at Westin which was nice. Holland House is right near docks but not as nice as Westin. They have a day rate if you're leaving late on day you get back and have late flight out. WS has pick up at airport but don't take their tour on return date. Go to HH instead. I've had TA do flights and I've done them. Depending on where you live. Jet Blue is a good option.

If you go to Westin a day or two early they have time share tours that give you nice tour of islands and boat ride if you can stand the pitch. LOL.