Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Ask a Cruise Question

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Ask a Cruise Question Post your general cruise questions here.

Old June 26th, 2013, 11:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Question about washing clothes

Has anyone tried bringing Woolite or the like and rinsing a few things out in the sink? Do they dry in a timely manner? (What with the humidity in the Caribbean and all) I want to bring work out clothes but I was hoping to only bring two sets and just hand wash and wear again rather than 6 sets. Thanks.

Old June 26th, 2013, 11:47 AM
Cool Cruiser

If your work-outs are the lightweight nylon kind they should dry overnight. Heavier fabrics take a bit longer.

Old June 26th, 2013, 11:49 AM
40,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbitmomma View Post
Has anyone tried bringing Woolite or the like and rinsing a few things out in the sink? Do they dry in a timely manner? (What with the humidity in the Caribbean and all) I want to bring work out clothes but I was hoping to only bring two sets and just hand wash and wear again rather than 6 sets. Thanks.
We have found it takes a long time for things to dry. However, I have it on supreme authority that if you roll the clothes in a towel, and then sit on the rolled up towels, you can reduce the drying time significantly.

Past Cruises

Celebrity: Mercury
RCCL: Adventure, Allure, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Independence, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Sovereign, Voyager

Old June 26th, 2013, 11:51 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
If you do decide to hand wash, roll the clothes in dry towels afterwards to get most of the water out. Just ask your steward for a few extra bath towels. Hang them in the main cabin, not the bathroom, to get more air flow and they should dry just fine overnight.

Last edited by reallyitsmema; June 26th, 2013 at 12:02 PM. Reason: oops

Old June 26th, 2013, 11:58 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallyitsmema View Post
If you do decide to hand wash, roll the clothes in dry towels afterwards to get most of the water out. Just ask your steward for a few extra bath towels. Hang them in the main cabin, not the bathroom, to get more air flow and they should fry just fine overnight.
But will they burn?

Ad Sponsored By
Old June 26th, 2013, 12:02 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdiamond View Post
But will they burn?
Read your reply three times before I saw it. Thanks.

Old June 26th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I have never taken more than 2 sets of workout clothes, space is a premium in my suitcase. My workout clothes are quick dry, so it's never been a problem. I do the same thing with some travel underwear to avoid having to bring 7+ pairs.

Insert "You're not allowed to use a clothesline on your balcony" comment here.... (Come on, I'm sure somebody will say it!)

Old June 26th, 2013, 12:34 PM
50,000+ Club

If I need to dry something fast, I hang it on a hanger from the AC vent....and yes....blot out as much water as you can before hanging!!

Old June 26th, 2013, 01:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

I washed my swimwear and pool cover-up in the shower each evening with the shampoo/soap provided in the dispenser, wool lite would have been a better option, didn't think of that. There was a clothesline in the shower, I dried my swimwear there, but don't forget to take it out before the next person showers! My pool cover-up is a cotton sundress variety, and I attached to one of the chairs on our balcony and let it air dry as we cruised. I went out every few hours on the balcony during the evening and rearranged it so it would dry fully. There was only one night it didn't dry completely, but I never went out and rearranged it the previous night so it could have been my fault. I had to use the hairdryer on it the next morning. It didn't feel sticky from the humidity. There actually wasn't nearly as much humidity in the Caribbean the week we were there as I had expected, FL was much more humid.

Old June 26th, 2013, 02:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have been hand washing clothing on cruises for a few years now and this is the method I have found successful. Before that though products with fabric softeners leave a waxy residue on clothing and that may impair the fabric from absorbing water thus reducing its wicking properties for the newer fabrics that dry quickly. Most of my day ware I take on cruises are made of these quick drying fabrics.

For soap I use CampSuds. It is a soap concentrate that many backpackers use and it also comes in a convenient 2oz bottle that is a perfect size for travel. You can buy it locally at most camping/outdoor stores or on Amazon. Wal-Mart also has a generic version.

After washing I roll the clothing up in a towel to reduce the moisture and hang them usually in shower. I have never had any quick drying fabrics take longer then overnight to dry but some of my natural fabrics like my cotton or wool sock may take longer.

Shak

http://www.amazon.com/Sierra-Dawn-Ca...words=campsuds

http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor...-apparel-.html

Old June 26th, 2013, 02:45 PM
10,000+ Club

You know where I find stuff dries fast? In the closet! Yes, really. I hang my delicates on hangers, put them in the closet, space them out so the air can flow around them, and in the morning they are dry. Works like a dream every cruise.

Up next:

RCI - Serenade of the Seas 2015 - a planned family vacation if son is not in medical school this year

Already Cruised - listed not to brag, but so you can ask me a question if you'd like:

RCI - Explorer of the Seas Nov 2014 Repo/S. Caribbean - 40 ft. rogue wave, lifeboat damage
Princess - Grand Princess May 2014 Pacific Coastal
RCI - Serenade of the Seas March 2014 - B2B W. Caribbean

RCI - Serenade of the Seas Feb 2014 - Bahamas - a celebration cruise indeed!
*RCI Scandinavia 2013 - 30th Anniversary cruise! - nope - cancelled due to my illness. ~ Maybe next year, God willing.
RCI - Jewel of the Seas Nov 2012 - B2B Mexico
RCI - Jewel of the Seas Repo cruise Oct/Nov 2012 Boston to Tampa - Hurricane Sandy
RCI - Brilliance of the Seas June/July 2011 Mediterranean
RCI - Mariner of the Seas Oct/Nov 2010 Mexico
RCI - Oasis of the Seas May 2010 E. Caribbean - 4 adults in one cabin; we did it!
Princess - Emerald Princess April 2009 E. Caribbean
RCI - Explorer of the Seas Sept/Oct 2008 - 25th anniversary! Canada - Hurricane Kyle
RCI - Liberty of the Seas August 2007 E.Caribbean - Hurricane Dean - 4 adults in one cabin; we did it!
RCI - Explorer of the Seas April 2006 E.Caribbean
RCI - Vision of the Seas Aug 2003 Alaska
HAL - Rotterdam - last leg of her final world cruise ever April 1995 Pacific Northwest
RCI - Viking Serenade Aug 1993 Mexico

Old June 26th, 2013, 02:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
and yes....blot out as much water as you can before hanging!!
Bring a large Shamwow, roll the wet clothes up in that, then wring away. Gets them well on the way to being dry.

*** ** Anticipating: Explorer otS 12/14 Grand Bahama - NCL Sun 4/15 Mexico - Vision otS 12/15 B2B ABCs/San Juan - Serenade otS 4/16 Leeward Islands ** *
         /              /|      /
    ____/|_g_________<=====\_g_/|__
   [ oo [][][][][][][][][][][][][] \
__/ [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]  \
\  YJ_Eugene & DW  oooooooooooo .... }
 `~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~'' ... .. Reminiscing: Statendam 8/9/98 Alaska - Rotterdam 6/8/03 Maritimes - Enchantment otS 11/24/03 Belize - Legend otS 4/15/07 Transatlantic - Sovereign otS 10/8/07 Bahamas - Sovereign otS 3/14/08 Bahamas - Sovereign otS 5/23/08 Bahamas - Rhapsody otS 9/12/08 Alaska - Navigator otS 1/18 & 23/09 B2B Cayman-Jamaica/Bahamas - Monarch otS 5/22/09 Bahamas - Freedom otS 10/4/09 St Thomas - X Century 1/16/10 Bahamas - Monarch otS 8/20/10 Bahamas - Radiance otS 10/4/10 Cozumel - Monarch otS 12/10/10 Bahamas - Zuiderdam 4/24/11 Panama Canal - NCL Sun 10/6/11 Bahamas - DCL Dream 12/8/11 Bahamas - Jewel otS 4/12/12 Cozumel - Brilliance otS 8/11/12 Norway - Monarch otS 12/7/12 Bahamas - Monarch otS 1/18/13 Bahamas - Nieuw Amsterdam 4/14/13 St Maarten - Enchantment otS 12/09/13 Bahamas (DW) - Brilliance otS 1/23/14 Cozumel - Majesty otS 6/20/14 Bahamas - Vision otS 10/14 Cozumel .. .

Old June 26th, 2013, 03:57 PM
50,000+ Club

We do bring woolite.

Keith

Old June 26th, 2013, 04:42 PM
10,000+ Club

I brought a trial size bottle (about 1.5 ounces) of liquid All with me on a B2B last year. Every day I used a bit in the sink to wash bras and other delicates. I squeezed the water out in a towel (didn't wring--I might as well have sent them to the laundry otherwise!) and then hung them over the shower line. Most were dry by dinner, now and then it took until the next morning. At home my bras take a lot longer to dry than my tech wear workout clothes, so I think you'll be fine.

Just because the air outside is humid, it doesn't mean the air conditioned cabin air is.
October 2011--Disney Dream Bahamas
June 2012--Windstar Wind Surf Back-To-Back, Rome to Venice to Athens
April 2014--Paul Gauguin to French Polynesia

Still to come...

2016 -- Windstar Wind Surf Southern Caribbean Back-To-Back
2021 -- SilverSea Explorer Antarctica for Milestone Birthdays!

Three weeks in Europe (two on a ship) with a 20" roll aboard and a tote bag--packing list here.

My all in a 20" wheeled bag for a warm weather cruise packing list here

Last edited by ducklite; June 26th, 2013 at 04:42 PM.

Old June 26th, 2013, 05:09 PM
50,000+ Club

DH had Nylon items for working out in the gym.

I like to hand wash my delicates as well.

I do wring out by hand and then roll them in towels to get more water out.

I am fortunate that I can buy packets of Tide liquid soap for traveling.

Old June 26th, 2013, 05:10 PM
50,000+ Club

DH has Nylon items for working out in the gym.

I like to hand wash my delicates as well.

I do wring out by hand and then roll them in towels to get more water out.

I am fortunate that I can buy packets of Tide liquid soap for traveling.

Old June 26th, 2013, 06:32 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

One caution that I must point out to people who intend on hanging a lot of clothes in their cabin to dry.

DO NOT USE THE SPRINKLER CAGE to hand anything. Many times in my career on cruise ships, we found people who said "I'll be real careful" when hanging a hanger on the sprinkler. The thermal glass bulb (little red thing in the middle) is extremely fragile, and once broken, there is nothing that will stop your cabin from flooding.

When a sprinkler alarm goes off (caused by flow of water in the pipes), the bridge will notify Security to check for a fire, and will also notify the Staff Chief Engineer, who will go to the location of the shut off valve for that sprinkler zone, and when informed by Security that there is no fire, I will shut off the valve and stop the water. I found one cabin where when we opened the door, a 4 foot high wave came out of the cabin into the passageway. Needless to say, those people's belongings were soaked, and the adjoining cabins had water on the carpets.

So, go ahead and feel free to hang your stuff up to dry, just stay well away from the sprinkler.

Old June 26th, 2013, 06:34 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

The absolute worst place to hang clothes to dry is on your balcony!
Not only are you not suppose to do this ... but things will get some salt spray on them no matter how high up your balcony is!

LuLu
~~~~

Old June 26th, 2013, 06:53 PM
40,000+ Club

Another option: Some cruise ships have passenger laundry facilities. They run about $2 per load to wash and to dry.

Old June 26th, 2013, 08:26 PM
5,000+ Club

We wash out clothes all the time--I do my workout wear because I don't want to bring more than 2-3 sets, and underwear. My husband sometimes even washes out t-shirts.

I have brought Woolite before, but usually just use the bar soap or shampoo provided--works fine (I rinse really well). I usually roll things up in a towel, then either hang in the shower on the clothesline or on the backs of the chairs on the balcony, securing with clips or pins.

Things in the shower dry amazingly fast. Cotton shirts, etc. take longer, of course.

We also do the self-laundry, if a ship has it, and it's a longer cruise.