One-way cruise?

cfrith

Hi, I'm completely new to cruising. Not sure I want to even try it! Had been planning on a week in Playa del Carmen. Now we're thinking we'd like to see some islands too. Is it possible to do a one way cruise? I'd like to see a few islands-maybe St. Maarten, St. Thomas or the Bahamas, and then head to Playa del Carmen (or Cozumel) and make my own arrangements to fly home from there (cancun). I can't seem to find info. on this. Thanks!

The only one-way cruise I have heard of is a repositioning cruise where a ship is repositioned to another port. I know the Carnival Elation and RCCL Rhapsody of the Seas are being repositioned to San Diego and RCCL Splendor is going to Spain. (I may have the two RCCL ships backwards but they are both being repositioned). If you are not sure you will like cruising, you may want to make your first cruise a 3 or 4-night cruise. Then, if you become addicted, you can book a longer cruise. :D TG23

I don't think you'll find that option on any of the major cruise lines. There are maritime passenger laws that probably wouldn't allow it. Then again, I'm taking a guess at that but maybe someone else would know something different.

However, there is easycruise that I think you can do that on from island to island. It may be available in those areas, I'm not sure. Minimal basic cruise, not like your main stream cruise ship. You get a room and pay for your food, use it as transportation really. I think their website is their name .com

You could also check into inter island flights on the smaller airlines, possibly ferry service, boat charters, etc.

Hope that helped.:)

Cfrith: I might not quite understand your question, but there are all kinds of one way cruises; I've been on four (Trinidad to the Bahamas, Ft. Lauderdale to Acapulco, Seward (Alaska) to Vancouver and San Diego to Vancouver. I, however am not aware of any that disembark in Cancun, but that's not to say they don't exist. A quick call to any cruise travel agent and you will know if what you're looking for is available. Good Luck.

Welcome to CC and the possible world of cruising. Yes, it is possible to take a one-way cruise and there are many to choose from. Generally, one-way cruises are offered when a ship is being repositioned from one part of the globe to another. Other opportunities exist when one signs up for just a segment of an around-the-world cruise. Most cruises through the Panama Canal begin and end on either the East or West coasts of the United States (an exception being a relatively small cruise line like Cruise West). To narrow the search down it is useful to think about potential departure ports, dates, and cruise length. As you explore options you will soon note that a cruise may stop at a particular port but will never begin or end at that port. (Cozumel that you mentioned is a good example of the latter point.) To see what the options are, you may want to go to a site like this one and under Cruise Region select Repositioning Cruise and any other factor that is important to you. If you should need more information, search this thread for a possible answer to a question you may have or ask again.

What I think the OP is asking is if they can book a cruise and get off the ship at any port they desire, such as Playa del Carmen/Cozumel. They aren't referring to a repositioning cruise, but a cruise where they can just hop off the ship whereever they want and then fly back home. No, this is not possible due to a law called the Passenger Services Act. If the cruise you're taking leaves from the US or a US protectorate port such as San Juan, you're not able to just leave the ship at any time and make your own way home, without incurring a large fine. The only way to do what you want is to cruise on a line called EasyCruise. They don't depart from a US port, and therefore they aren't subject to the PSA. But, they are a bare-bones cruise line, that offers nothing that you'd expect from a regular cruise line---it's basically just transportation. You pay for everything extra once you get on board, even food, there's no entertainment or anything else that a mainstream cruise ship offers. So, if you want to spend a week in Cozumel, you're only choices are to cruise EasyCruise or just fly to Cozumel for a week.

Hi, I'm completely new to cruising. Not sure I want to even try it! Had been planning on a week in Playa del Carmen. Now we're thinking we'd like to see some islands too. Is it possible to do a one way cruise?

I do not think it is possible to be dropped off on a cruise......

however you could do a cruise starting/ending in San Juan P.R, Aruba, Dominican Republic, then fly from there to Mexico, then home.

You will have to make your own flight arrangements

You may just have to fly from a U.S. city to mexico.

What I think the OP is asking is if they can book a cruise and get off the ship at any port they desire, such as Playa del Carmen/Cozumel. They aren't referring to a repositioning cruise, but a cruise where they can just hop off the ship whereever they want and then fly back home. No, this is not possible due to a law called the Passenger Services Act. If the cruise you're taking leaves from the US or a US protectorate port such as San Juan, you're not able to just leave the ship at any time and make your own way home, without incurring a large fine. The only way to do what you want is to cruise on a line called EasyCruise. They don't depart from a US port, and therefore they aren't subject to the PSA. But, they are a bare-bones cruise line, that offers nothing that you'd expect from a regular cruise line---it's basically just transportation. You pay for everything extra once you get on board, even food, there's no entertainment or anything else that a mainstream cruise ship offers. So, if you want to spend a week in Cozumel, you're only choices are to cruise EasyCruise or just fly to Cozumel for a week.

The PSA only prohibits you from travelling from one US port to another (beginning & end) without making a stop in a "distant" foreign port. Royal Caribbean allows you to cut your cruise short, subject to that requirement But if there is a cruise out there that has Cozumel as the last port, you could disembark there. According to the RCI website, St. THomas and San Juan are exempt from this PSA requirement. Here's a description of how it would work:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=0000RGxpx8L2EzIh9BlhsVAurNY:10ktmerri?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Before+You+Purchase&faqId=623&faqSubjectId=322&faqType=faq

Thank you all so much! And thanks Critterchick- I'll look into the RCI, as I'm not sure what all that means, and if Playa is exempt or not. To confirm- what I meant by one way cruise was to basically do a 3 day cruise, starting in the US, stopping at a couple islands on the way and ending in Cozumel, taking our luggage with us, staying in Mexico for a few days and flying home from the Cancun airport. If anyone knows more info about this, I'd love to hear it! I didn't realize this was such a strange thing to do! It seems like a good way to do a vacation to me!

Thanks again,

Cyndi

Cyndi, I don't know of any cruiselines that offer a 3-nighter ending in Playa. Playa is exempt from the PSA because it's a Mexican port, and it's only an issue if you're going from one U.S. port to another.

Remember that if you disembark early from an RCI (or any other one, for that matter) cruise, you still have to pay the full fare, so you'll want to look for a short cruise where Cozumel is almost the last stop, otherwise you're paying a sh*tload of money for a really short cruise.

I think Princess offers the same option, but haven't really explored it.

I also believe that you would find the islands that you have spoken of difficult if not impossible to visit on the same cruise. St. Martin/Maarten, and St Thomas are usually ports of call for ships doing the eastern caribbean while Cozumel and Cancun are for ships covering the western caribbean.

Carnival does a cruise with the Destiny where you sail from San Juan and are allowed to disembark at Barbados. You would see San Juan, St Thomas, Dominica, and Barbados. It is priced higher per day than the full trip and your also only allowed to book and inside cabin but it is an option....

Thank you all so much! And thanks Critterchick- I'll look into the RCI, as I'm not sure what all that means, and if Playa is exempt or not. To confirm- what I meant by one way cruise was to basically do a 3 day cruise, starting in the US, stopping at a couple islands on the way and ending in Cozumel, taking our luggage with us, staying in Mexico for a few days and flying home from the Cancun airport. If anyone knows more info about this, I'd love to hear it! I didn't realize this was such a strange thing to do! It seems like a good way to do a vacation to me!

Thanks again,

Cyndi

RCI is Royal Caribbean International. Just one of the cruisellines. I have been on several where we have had passengers embark and debark along the way and since the PSA was written into law in 1886, I would have to imagine that the answer is yes, you may disembark and make your way home from a foreign port. I would find it hard to believe that they might claim "trade infringement" from such an archaic law. Your best bet is to call the cruiselines directly with your request. I have no doubt that they will provide you with the best answer! :D

The PSA only prohibits you from travelling from one US port to another (beginning & end) without making a stop in a "distant" foreign port. Royal Caribbean allows you to cut your cruise short, subject to that requirement But if there is a cruise out there that has Cozumel as the last port, you could disembark there. According to the RCI website, St. THomas and San Juan are exempt from this PSA requirement. Here's a description of how it would work:

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do;jsessionid=0000RGxpx8L2EzIh9BlhsVAurNY:10ktmerri?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Before+You+Purchase&faqId=623&faqSubjectId=322&faqType=faq

Actually, what it really says is that it prohibits passengers from the U.S. to board in one U.S. port and disembark in another U.S. port while on a foreign flagged vessel. This would infringe upon U.S. trade by using a foreign carrier as transport between U.S. ports. While I have never heard of them disallowing it right here in the U.S., the state of Hawaii enforces it. A passenger cannot board a foreign flagged vessel in one U.S. port and siembark in another U.S. port in the Hawaiian Islands. So, the answer is YES, you can definitely disembark in a foreign port, but you will probably have to pay almost, if not the full fare. I would definitely call the cruiselines! :D

Actually, what it really says is that it prohibits passengers from the U.S. to board in one U.S. port and disembark in another U.S. port while on a foreign flagged vessel. This would infringe upon U.S. trade by using a foreign carrier as transport between U.S. ports. While I have never heard of them disallowing it right here in the U.S., the state of Hawaii enforces it. A passenger cannot board a foreign flagged vessel in one U.S. port and siembark in another U.S. port in the Hawaiian Islands. So, the answer is YES, you can definitely disembark in a foreign port, but you will probably have to pay almost, if not the full fare. I would definitely call the cruiselines! :D

To clarify a tiny bit further, you cannot embark/disembark in a US port until the ship has visited a foreign port. Unless the ship is US flagged, like NCLA in Hawaii.

I have no doubt that a full fare would be charged, no matter when you get off the ship. I've never heard of a passenger embarking the ship in one of the islands, with the exception of people who missed their original sail-away and have to catch up to the ship.

To the OP, why not take a short cruise, then fly round trip to your island of choice for a few days? I haven't priced it out, but it may be cheaper to do that than pay for a full cruise plus a one way flight back to FLA.

Archived