Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > North American Homeports > East Coast Departures

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

East Coast Departures
Baltimore, Boston, Cape Liberty, Charleston, Montreal, New York, Norfolk, & Philadelphia l

Old September 17th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Talking I live in Charleston, SC.

Hello Everyone!

I live in Charleston South Carolina and have worked downtown in the Historical district for a few years now. I thought I would start this thread to help those of you traveling to this beautiful city. I will tell you that I don't know everything about the area but what I do know I will share with you. Should you ask me something I don't know I will tell you. I would rather tell you I don't know than give you the wrong information. I hope this helps those of you traveling here. Happy Cruising and please enjoy Charleston!!!!

Dean

Old September 17th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up

Here is some information that I hope helps some.

Doubletree Guest Suites Historic Charleston
Relax in executive king guestrooms or elegant one & two bedroom suites and feature our luxurious Sweet Dreams® beds by Doubletree. Freshly-baked cookies at check-in, valet parking and home to Hank’s Seafood Restaurant. Walking distance to restaurants and harbor views.

181 Church Street
Charleston, SC 29401
Phone: 843-577-2644
or 877-408-8733
Email: chscs_dt_guest@hilton.com

Belvidere Harbor Cottages
Luxury accommodations in a secluded setting, featuring magnificent panoramic views of Charleston Harbor, Fort Sumter and historic downtown. Each two-bedroom/three full bath Cottage is fully-equipped and sleeps up to six, full kitchen, elegant furnishings, pool, hot tub. Continental breakfast included.

16 Patriots Point Road
Mount Pleasant, SC 29464
Phone: 843-884-3342
or 866-901-2688
Email: Kbraddock@belvidereclub.com

Francis Marion Hotel
Historic Charleston's landmark hotel since 1924. Completely restored and elegantly appointed marble lobby, crown moldings and intricate wrought iron. Across from Marion Square. 227 guest rooms and suites offer spectacular views of Charleston's harbor. On the National Register of Historic Places.

387 King Street
Charleston, SC 29403
Phone: 843-722-0600
or 877-756-2121
Fax: 843-853-2186
Email: info@francismarioncharleston.com

Embassy Suites Historic Charleston
Home of the original 19th century Citadel, listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Within walking distance of many historic attractions including the Market, the King Street boutiques and restaurants. Evening reception in our courtyard area overlooking Marion Square.

337 Meeting Street
Charleston, SC 29403
Phone: 843-723-6900
or 800-EMBASSY
Fax: 843-723-6938
Email: chses_ds@hilton.com

Hampton Inn Historic District
This restored historic landmark, once a burlap bag factory in the 18th century, was designed for the traveler with discerning taste. Within walking distance of many historic attractions including the Market and King Street fashion boutiques. High speed wireless Internet.

345 Meeting Street
Charleston, SC 29403
Phone: 843-723-4000
or 800-HAMPTON
Email: chshd_hampton@hilton.com

Holiday Inn Historic District
This luxury hotel combines Old-World elegance with New-World amenities. Beautifully landscaped courtyard, outdoor heated pool, concierge and bellman services. Enjoy the Battery Grill for breakfast, lunch and dinner, and the Battery Lounge for evening relaxation.

125 Calhoun Street
Charleston, SC 29401
Phone: 843-805-7900
or 877-805-7900

Fulton Lane Inn
Totally non-smoking Inn. Nestled among the city's finest antique shops, across from Saks Fifth Avenue. One of Charleston's best kept secrets. We offer luxurious rooms, king-size beds, large whirlpools and fireplaces. Continental breakfast delivered to your room and complimentary wine and sherry.

202 King Street
Charleston , SC 29401
Phone: 843-720-2600
or 800-720-2688
Fax: 843-720-2940

PLACES TO EAT
Charleston Grill
Dinner Su-Th 6-10pm; F-Sa 6-11pm; jazz nightly; cocktails from 5pm. Located in the Charleston Place Hotel. The most comfortable and beautiful restaurant in Charleston for cocktails, live jazz and exciting Lowcountry and coastal cooking prepared by Chef Bob Waggoner. South Carolina's most acclaimed Mobil Four-Star restaurant and winner of Wine Spectator's "Best of Award of Excellence." The Vintner's Room is available for private parties.
224 King Street
Charleston, SC 29401
Phone: 843-577-4522

Hank's Seafood Restaurant
Su-Th 5:00-10:30pm; F-Sa 5:00-11:30pm. By design and cuisine, Hank’s resembles a decades-old neighborhood fixture reminiscent of a classic 1940s Charleston fish house. Relaxed atmosphere is backdrop to Chef Frank McMahon’s local seafood classics and innovative seasonal specials. Bar and communal table attracts a sociable crowd of locals, nightly.
10 Hayne Street
Charleston, SC 29401
Phone: 843-723-3474

39 Rue De Jean
French style café and bar offering the best in Brasserie cuisine. Indoor/outdoor patio seating, predominantly French wine list with champagne and sakes. Sunday Brunch from 10am, Lunch daily from 11:30am, served continuously through to Dinner service beginning at 5:30pm. Late nite menu through 1am, featuring steaks, sushi and salads.

39 John Street
Charleston, SC 29403
Phone: 843-722-8881
Fax: 843-722-8835

82 Queen
Open 365 Days a Year; 11:30am till 10:30pm - Sunday Brunch 11:30am. Serving Charleston’s most authentic Lowcountry cuisine for 25 years. Offering the freshest seafood and aged steaks garnished with locally grown herbs and vegetables. Enjoy award-winning She Crab Soup and desserts. Voted “Best City Restaurant” by the readers of Southern Living Magazine.
82 Queen Street
Charleston, SC 29401
Phone: 843-723-7591
or 800-849-0082
Email: info@82queen.com

Bocci's Italian Restaurant
Dinner: M-Th 4:30-10pm; F-Sa 4:30-11pm. Service in a casual, comfortable, ethnic setting. A favorite among locals seeking a romantic escape. Bocci’s chefs are known for their authentic specialties. Excellent wine list, a variety of gourmet coffees, and desserts. Italian dining on par with New York’s “Little Italy.”

158 Church Street
Charleston, SC 29401
Phone: 843-720-2121

Coast
Charleston’s freshest seafood, with a relaxed beach inspired atmosphere, in the heart of historic downtown. Featuring the freshest fish and produce in the Lowcountry, a full raw bar, and a refreshing drink list. Open nightly from 5:30. Outdoor seating available.

39-D John St.
Charleston, SC 29403
Phone: 843-722-8838

Grill 225
High-energy eatery, replete with mahogany booths & alabaster chandeliers, serving 100% USDA Prime Beef & seafood under Executive Chef Demetre Castanas. Charleston’s only USDA Prime steakhouse. Impressive wine list & desserts, & stellar service. Great Steak Houses of North America.

Hyman's Seafood and Aaron's Deli
Open 7 days a week. Voted best seafood in Southeast by Southern Living Magazine readers poll survey out of 18 states and 8 years running. Eli, one of the great grandchildren or Brad’s son-in-law, are in the building 7 days a week to insure 100% satisfaction and quality control.

215 Meeting Street
Charleston, SC 29401
Phone: 843-723-6000

Poogan's Porch
Open seven days a week. One of Charleston's oldest and most reputable culinary establishments. A historic landmark with entertaining past. Synonymous with providing impeccable Lowcountry hospitality and cuisine. Since 1976, we have become a hot spot for celebrities, politicians, tourists and locals who rave about this Southern institution. Brunch Sa & Sun. L, D. $-$$$.

72 Queen Street
Charleston, SC 29401
Phone: 843-577-2337

Tommy Condon's Irish Pub & Seafood Restaurant
11:00 a.m.-1 a.m. for lunch and dinner. This long-time Charleston tradition provides an experience crafted after a true Irish pub. Atmosphere is appropriate for families, couples, and folks just looking to hoist a pint! Seafood, steaks, burgers. Dine in the pub or on the outdoor deck. Live Irish music Wednesday-Sunday.

160 Church Street
Charleston, SC 29401
Phone: 843-577-3818

I hope this helps some of you. It would be impossible for me to list all the excellent eating establishments in Charleston so the ones I've listed here I have first hand knowledge of. Yes...I eat out from time to time. I honestly believe that you could eat out every night for a year and still not eat at every place in historical Charleston.

If anyone has anymore questions please feel free to ask. I love helping out people. Plus I hope you love Charleston as much as I do!!

Old September 17th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up

TRANSPORTATION

Primetime Charleston Transport Services, LLC
Let us simplify your transportation needs. We are a professional transport service with a wide array of vehicles that can make your arrival and departure from Charleston Airport a pleasant experience. We accept all major credit cards. Please call for reservations.

1101 Stone Pine Road
Ladson, SC 29456
Phone: 843-478-6778
Fax: 843-376-9210
Email: reservations@primetimecharleston.com

Royal Limousine Service
Twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week. Royal Limousine Service offers the highest-quality vehicles as well as unparalleled customer service. We have earned a reputation for professionalism and reliability by providing exceptional transportation at fair pricing. Our extensive fleet of vans, sedans, buses, and limousines meets any professional needs.

2183 Hwy 17 Bypass, Suite 109
Mount Pleasant, SC 29464
Phone: 843-884-7272
Fax: 843-723-2515
Email: info@royallimo.biz

Old September 17th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up

P.S. All of the above information was found at the following link. You can find much much more about Charleston if you would like to look.
http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitor..._categor y=19

Everyone have a great day and enjoy Charleston!!

Old September 17th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Wow

Thank you sooooooooooo much for this fabulous list. As you can see from my footer I am an avid cruiser but we plan to take a driving trip through the Carolinas next fall and this will be most helpful. The places we are most intersted in are Asheville, NC and Charleston, SC. Such history!!!!!

It is wonderful to be able to ask questions of a resident of the area you are interested in. I am sure you will be asked lots of questions and I look forward to your answers.

1/2015~Crown Princess~B2B2B~~West Coast Getaways

8/1/2015~Royal Princess~~British Isles

9/2014~Crown Princess~~Wine Country CA Coastal
11/2013~Royal Princess~~Eastern Caribbean

4/2013~Caribbean Princess~~Southern Caribbean
4/2012~Crown Princess~~Southern Caribbean
3/2011~Grand Princess~~Caribbean Collection
9/2010~Crown Princess~~NY to Quebec
2/2010~Golden Princess~~LA to Hawaii
8/2008~Carnival Elation~~San Diego to Cabo~~Birthday Party Cruise
5/2008~AMA Amalegro~~Magnificent Europe~~Amsterdam to Budapest
12/2007~Crown Princess~~Classic Southern Caribbean
4/2007~Coral Princess~~Grand Panama Canal~~Ft. Lauderdale to LA
9/2006~Golden Princess~~Greek Isles/Mediterranean

10/2005~Golden Princess~~Canada/New England
6/2005~Coral Princess~~Heart of Alaska Cruisetour
1/2005~Carnival Paradise~~Baja "Test Jerry for Seasickness"

Ad Sponsored By
Old September 17th, 2007, 07:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by seacrystal View Post
Thank you sooooooooooo much for this fabulous list. As you can see from my footer I am an avid cruiser but we plan to take a driving trip through the Carolinas next fall and this will be most helpful. The places we are most intersted in are Asheville, NC and Charleston, SC. Such history!!!!!

It is wonderful to be able to ask questions of a resident of the area you are interested in. I am sure you will be asked lots of questions and I look forward to your answers.
Hell Kathy!

Well I am sure you will love both Asheville and Charleston. Just let me know what you would like to know and if I can't answer your question then I will find out the answer or tell you where you can find it. I hope all is well on the other side of the country. Have a great day!!

Old September 17th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks Dean!

I will keep you in mind.

1/2015~Crown Princess~B2B2B~~West Coast Getaways

8/1/2015~Royal Princess~~British Isles

9/2014~Crown Princess~~Wine Country CA Coastal
11/2013~Royal Princess~~Eastern Caribbean

4/2013~Caribbean Princess~~Southern Caribbean
4/2012~Crown Princess~~Southern Caribbean
3/2011~Grand Princess~~Caribbean Collection
9/2010~Crown Princess~~NY to Quebec
2/2010~Golden Princess~~LA to Hawaii
8/2008~Carnival Elation~~San Diego to Cabo~~Birthday Party Cruise
5/2008~AMA Amalegro~~Magnificent Europe~~Amsterdam to Budapest
12/2007~Crown Princess~~Classic Southern Caribbean
4/2007~Coral Princess~~Grand Panama Canal~~Ft. Lauderdale to LA
9/2006~Golden Princess~~Greek Isles/Mediterranean

10/2005~Golden Princess~~Canada/New England
6/2005~Coral Princess~~Heart of Alaska Cruisetour
1/2005~Carnival Paradise~~Baja "Test Jerry for Seasickness"

Old September 18th, 2007, 04:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for all of the helpful information. It's nice to be able to tap into a "local expert" for travel tips! We are thinking of a combined land/water vacation, spending the "land" part in the Charleston area. I just started looking to see what type of cruising is available from that area. I see that NCL goes to Bermuda from Charleston, correct? Do you know of any smaller, nontraditional companies that offer a coastal cruise along the eastern seaboard of the US (going either north or south)? They don't necessarily have to start/end in Charleston. We're flexible. Thanks again.
Celebrity - Century, Summit
Carnival - Inspiration, Imagination
Premier - Big Red Boat (Oceanic)

Old September 18th, 2007, 09:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigal View Post
Thanks for all of the helpful information. It's nice to be able to tap into a "local expert" for travel tips! We are thinking of a combined land/water vacation, spending the "land" part in the Charleston area. I just started looking to see what type of cruising is available from that area. I see that NCL goes to Bermuda from Charleston, correct? Do you know of any smaller, nontraditional companies that offer a coastal cruise along the eastern seaboard of the US (going either north or south)? They don't necessarily have to start/end in Charleston. We're flexible. Thanks again.
Hey Michigal. I don't know of any companies first hand that offer an eastern seaboard cruise. However, I did do a search and came up with one that looked good to me. Here is the link:
http://www.seabourn.com/destinations...st&sec=Eastern

Should you decide to stay in Charleston we do have companies that offer dinner cruises or sunset cruises. They take you out in the harbor to watch the sunset and they have dinner and live music while you tour the bay. I do have the port schedule for Charleston too. I will see if I can find it to post. Hope this helps.

Dean

Old September 18th, 2007, 09:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Here is a link for the Port of Charleston Cruise Schedule. This schedule includes not only ships originating or ending here but also those with ports of call here in Charleston.

http://www.charlestoncvb.com/pdf/cruisecalendar.pdf

This link may also be of some help for those of you traveling this way!

http://www.charlestoncvb.com/visitors/index.html

Old September 20th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile 2008 scheduled cruises

HI, this is the 2008 Charleston port schedule:
http://www.port-of-charleston.com/Cr...ENDAR_2008.pdf
HAL Maasdam 2004
NCL Jewel 2006 & 2009
HAL Westerdam 2008
Carnival Miracle 2007, 2009 & 2010
Celebrity Eclipse 4/12
Celebrity Reflection 4/13
Crown Princess 2/14
Celebrity Constellation 12/14
MSC Divina 2/15
Vision of the Seas 12/15

Old September 20th, 2007, 03:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Michigal question

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigal View Post
Hi, I've seen this ship in port a few times. They are a small cruise ship line and offer an Antebellem South Cruise originating in Charleston.
Go to: http://www.americancruiselines.com/store.php?crn=235
HAL Maasdam 2004
NCL Jewel 2006 & 2009
HAL Westerdam 2008
Carnival Miracle 2007, 2009 & 2010
Celebrity Eclipse 4/12
Celebrity Reflection 4/13
Crown Princess 2/14
Celebrity Constellation 12/14
MSC Divina 2/15
Vision of the Seas 12/15

Old September 20th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I was going to post about American, too. I looked into this, but the prices are very high considering you could drive to every port if you wanted to.

Cukoobananas, thank you for all the help with my cousin's weekend on another thread. I sent info on several hotels you mentioned for discussion during the Nov trip that I will miss.

I also found Homewood Suites in Mt Pleasant - it is not in the historic district and would require us to drive 7-8 miles, so I wanted to know if parking is readily available in the historic district? The advantages of Homewood Suites is that they have a 2 BR (private BR and bath) plus a living area with a sofa bed and a full kitchen, dining area, etc. It would give us more room/sq footage than some of the suites I considered in the historic district, and it is less money. Parking is free, and that seemed to be an issue at hotels in the historic district as well. We will be coming from different areas and have several cars, so a parking garage fee of $12/day X 3-4 vehicles is a big deal.

What do you think of this property and our plan to drive into town?

Grand Princess, Eastern,April 2001, 7 days ~~
Grand Princess, Western,April 2002, 7 days ~~
Cross-Country RV trip, Summer, 2003, 60 days ~~
Regal Princess, Hawaii, April 5-20, 2004, 15 days ~~
Caribbean Princess, E Carib, Nov 13-20, 2004, 7 days
Coral Princess, Alaska SB, May 21-28, 2005, 7 days
Star Princess, E Carib, Oct 16-23, 2005, 7 days ~~
HAL ms Westerdam, E Carib, April 2-9, 2006; 7 days
Sun Princess, S Carib, Nov 30-Dec 10, 2006; 10 days
Coral Princess, Panama Canal, Oct 31, 2007, 10 days
Grand Princess, 3 Continent TA, 4/12/08, 20 days
Crown Princess, Quebec to FLL, 15 days, Oct 23, 2009
Carnival Ecstasy, Bahamas, Nov 26, 2011, 5 days
Crown Princess, S Carib, March 17, 2012, 7 days
Carnival Fascination, Bahamas, June, 2012, 5 days
Ruby Princess, TA & Greek Isles, Apr 28-May 24, 2013, 26 days

Last edited by GloriaF; September 20th, 2007 at 07:08 PM.

Old September 20th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GloriaF View Post
I was going to post about American, too. I looked into this, but the prices are very high considering you could drive to every port if you wanted to.

Cukoobananas, thank you for all the help with my cousin's weekend on another thread. I sent info on several hotels you mentioned for discussion during the Nov trip that I will miss.

I also found Homewood Suites in Mt Pleasant - it is not in the historic district and would require us to drive 7-8 miles, so I wanted to know if parking is readily available in the historic district? The advantages of Homewood Suites is that they have a 2 BR (private BR and bath) plus a living area with a sofa bed and a full kitchen, dining area, etc. It would give us more room/sq footage than some of the suites I considered in the historic district, and it is less money. Parking is free, and that seemed to be an issue at hotels in the historic district as well. We will be coming from different areas and have several cars, so a parking garage fee of $12/day X 3-4 vehicles is a big deal.

What do you think of this property and our plan to drive into town?
Thier are several parking decks in the area near the market, plus a number of private lots. Some of the privat lots open up after hours for a fee. To tell you the truth you are almost better and will come out cheaper taking a taxi from the hotel to downtown. The taxi drivers around here are use to the parking situation. Before they drop you off just ask them for a card. Give them a call when you are ready to be picked up. Also the front desk can arrange a taxi. Taxi's here can range from a Crown Vick to a Suburban. So I'm not talking Yellow Cab unless you just want to. Also, FYI. Should you decide to make a reservation in the Historical District I know for a FACT that the Embassy Suites will sometimes throw in free parking. Especially if you rent one of thier suites for a few nights. If you are going to do that just call them directly to set it up. Should you decide on Mt. Pleasant you may want to take a taxi downtown at least on the first night so you can see where some of the parking decks are. Plenty of one way streets to get you turned around on. I hope this helps some. All in all it sounds like you have a good idea. You will get more for your money in Mt. Pleasant for sure. If you are willing to drive a little go for it. Not to mention you will be near some outlet malls over in Mt. Pleasant.

Old September 21st, 2007, 12:03 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Thanks, Dean, the taxi idea is a good one and I had not considered a taxi. I think once the group gets up and started, we would be spending all day out and about so it would not matter that our hotel is closeby. Also, I'll check with Embassy Suites - and see what kind of (parking) perks they can give us.

Old September 21st, 2007, 02:00 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cukoobananas View Post
Hello Everyone!

I live in Charleston South Carolina and have worked downtown in the Historical district for a few years now. I thought I would start this thread to help those of you traveling to this beautiful city. I will tell you that I don't know everything about the area but what I do know I will share with you. Should you ask me something I don't know I will tell you. I would rather tell you I don't know than give you the wrong information. I hope this helps those of you traveling here. Happy Cruising and please enjoy Charleston!!!!

Dean
Hi Dean:

My daughter just booked Doubletree Suites on Church St for a weekend in December. DH and I are also going to Charleston the same weekend and just booked Lodge Alley Inn on East Bay Street. My question to you is...How far away will we be from them? I've been to Charleston several times and I must say it is the most beautiful city. We just love it.

Thanks,
terrylou

Old September 21st, 2007, 10:17 AM
Cool Cruiser

Dean & Teltrainer,
Thanks for the links! I had never heard of American before. Both Seabourn and American look great. They may be out of our price range, but we're going to look into them. The harbor cruises sound good too.

Thanks again!
Celebrity - Century, Summit
Carnival - Inspiration, Imagination
Premier - Big Red Boat (Oceanic)

Old September 24th, 2007, 02:22 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

michigal, good luck with the East Coast cruises. One thing you might want to look into is the Princess itinerary for New England and Canada ~ they are usually called the Fall Colors cruises. Princess will be much more reasonably priced in comparison to Seabourn and American.

Old October 6th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrylou View Post
Hi Dean:

My daughter just booked Doubletree Suites on Church St for a weekend in December. DH and I are also going to Charleston the same weekend and just booked Lodge Alley Inn on East Bay Street. My question to you is...How far away will we be from them? I've been to Charleston several times and I must say it is the most beautiful city. We just love it.

Thanks,
terrylou
Hey Terrylou,

Sorry it's taken so long for me to get back to you. If you are staying at The Lodge Alley Inn you will not be far from the Double Tree at all. Just go up East Bay to Market Street. Make a left on Market to Church St. The Double Tree will be there on the corner of Market and Church. Will not be a bad walk at all in December. Hope this helps.

Old October 27th, 2007, 11:15 PM
10,000+ Club

Hi Dean,
Just found this interesting thread. I cruised out of Charleston Feb. 07 and had a bit of time in Charleston. My husband and I are considering a trip to Charleston for Christmas, probably Dec. 24-26 give or take. My preference is to stay right in the historical district.
Husband prefers newer hotels vs. B&Bs. Since that's the route we'll take, I would like a really nice place, not necessarily the most expensive. Any recommendations for a good central location? I think I remember seeing a Doubletree that looked quite nice. At this point we don't know if we're going to fly or drive but I'm leaning toward driving to have the convenience of a car. Is it better to have a car or is public transportation a good option?
Is there anything special going on at Christmas? What are some of the must see things to do and see? Personal recommendations for local food would be appreciated, the places natives go for good food.
Hoping to cruise out of Charleston again this winter and if we do will have some questions about that later on.
Thanks in advance.