Never Cruised before and want to try the Caribbean....

Lorio77

Hello - Husband and I are thinking to try a seven day Caribbean cruise next fall. I'm starting my research now. We will want a ship that is not over-run with families. I don't mean to offend anyone as I love children/families as much as any other person :) but we just like vacations without a lot of children running around as it's just the two of us and our time to relax & unwind....... I'm looking for recommendations for a good ship/company based on this main want. We also want a ship that is updated, cabins offering balconies, nice pool areas/amenities and good food options - LOL - guess i'm not asking for much, right? :)

Anyway - just looking for suggestions. Thinking Eastern Caribbean for now. Appreciate the feedback.

Lorio

Just some things to keep in mind........

In September and October, many ships are still in Alaska, Europe and Canada/New England. So there are just a handful of ships to chose from.

November the ships are pretty much back in the Caribbean.

Keep in mind that Hurricane season isn't over until the end of November. We have sailed October and November many times and only once we were effected by a Hurricane -- and that was in October.

Thank you and yes, i'm aware of Hurricane Season :) I said "fall" but thinking November/Dec. but wanted to see options :) Good to know though where most ships will be around that time. Thank you!

Celebrity Equinox....October/November :cool::cool::cool: On the "Celebrity" boards, there are many "live" reviews and pictures. Check it out. Amazing and cannot wait to board this ship. LOVE Celebrity!!!!

Edited by champagne123
ssssss

Caribbean cruises during the "shoulder season" between Thanksgiving and December are less expensive, and there are fewer children due to most schools being in session between the holidays.

Roz

Cruising when the schools are in session will get you fewer families. Stay away from anything before Labor Day, Thanksgiving week, or the two weeks of Christmas and New Years. Look at the smaller ships in Royal Caribbean fleet (these tend to attract an older crowd), or Celebrity. Avoid Carnival and Disney. These are great cruise lines but tend to attract the families. However, even if you chose to cruise either of these you will likely not be too overrun with families if you cruise when school is in session. Make sure you buy travel insurance too! Especially if going out during hurricane season. Do research on purchasing the insurance from a company other then the cruise line as it will save you $$.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Cruising when the schools are in session will get you fewer families. Stay away from anything before Labor Day, Thanksgiving week, or the two weeks of Christmas and New Years. Look at the smaller ships in Royal Caribbean fleet (these tend to attract an older crowd), or Celebrity. Avoid Carnival and Disney. These are great cruise lines but tend to attract the families. However, even if you chose to cruise either of these you will likely not be too overrun with families if you cruise when school is in session. Make sure you buy travel insurance too! Especially if going out during hurricane season. Do research on purchasing the insurance from a company other then the cruise line as it will save you $$.

Thank you for the tips. Yes - we will most likely look at purchasing travel insurance. Good tips. Looking at Celebrity and Royal Caribbean right now :) We don't wan't too small of a ship but not too large - we like to be active to like all the amenities and good restaurant choices :)

Just a suggestion but you might want to consider a 7-day Eastern Caribbean or Tropical Caribbean cruise on HAL. We have done this a few times over the past few years as winter getaways and have enjoyed them very much. There are several itineraries to choose from; however, I would select one that visits HAL's private island,Half Moon Cay, and perhaps skips Amber Cove. Again, jmho.

Hello - Husband and I are thinking to try a seven day Caribbean cruise next fall. I'm starting my research now. We will want a ship that is not over-run with families. I don't mean to offend anyone as I love children/families as much as any other person :) but we just like vacations without a lot of children running around as it's just the two of us and our time to relax & unwind....... I'm looking for recommendations for a good ship/company based on this main want. We also want a ship that is updated, cabins offering balconies, nice pool areas/amenities and good food options - LOL - guess i'm not asking for much, right? :)

Anyway - just looking for suggestions. Thinking Eastern Caribbean for now. Appreciate the feedback.

Lorio

You're not asking too much. Look at Oceania. Read the reviews and do the math ("net daily rate" instead of cabin cost only) and the outstanding quality/value will quickly become apparent.

Also, think about Polynesia instead of the Caribbean.

You're not asking too much. Look at Oceania. Read the reviews and do the math ("net daily rate" instead of cabin cost only) and the outstanding quality/value will quickly become apparent.

Also, think about Polynesia instead of the Caribbean.

I will definitely look at Oceania. :) Thanks!!! For this first time cruise I want to stick to the Caribbean. I've bean to French Polynesia before and LOVED it. In fact, planning a 2nd vacation there and I think for that part of the world, we really want a land vacation with those amazing overwater bungalows :)

Given the OP's wants...we would suggest avoiding Disney and Carnival. That leaves a lot of options as to booth cruise lines and the size of ship. There are pros and cons to larger ships vs smaller vessels and you have to make that decision based on a hunch...since everyone here will have different opinions. For those that recommend huge mega ships (like the RCI Oasis Class) we would counter that all the ultra luxury cruise lines have one thing in common....smaller ships :). And to those that would recommend booking the smallest vessels we would counter that the largest ships often have the best entertainment options. Food on all the mass market lines is hit and miss! At one time Celebrity probably had the best mass market food...but their current CEO seems to be working hard to cut-back (and reduce quality). So now, we simply would include Celebrity in the same class as the rest of the mass market lines. Given the age of the OP we would suggest avoiding HAL...at least for your first cruise. So you can start out by looking at Celebrity, RCI and Princess and comparing prices/itineraries. If you want better food and quality and are willing to go on a smaller ship (and pay more money) you might want to consider Azamara and Oceania.

You will also need to give consideration to the various drink packages offered by many cruise lines. If you two like to enjoy adult beverages and wine...you should give a lot of consideration to booking a cruise that includes a drink package (all the mass market lines offer such packages..often as part of a booking promotion).

Hank

I am in my mid 30's and was on HAL for my first cruise in the Caribbean last March. There were a few kids because of spring break. We had a cabana and no kids around. The pools were okay in my opinion, but I didn't need them. I had a great time on HAL.

Thank you and yes, i'm aware of Hurricane Season :) I said "fall" but thinking November/Dec. but wanted to see options :) Good to know though where most ships will be around that time. Thank you!

The information posted about limited ships that time of year in the Caribbean is very misleading. While there are cruise lines that, due to perhaps a limited number of ships in their fleet, have fewer or no ships that are based in the Caribbean during certain months, most lines do base ships there year round.

RCI, Celebrity, and Carnival are three for example that have more than 25 ships between them permanently based with numerous Caribbean itineraries 12 months per year. There are others as well. Finding a cruise line with year round Caribbean itineraries - the Eastern as one - will not be an issue.

My recommendation based on your preferences would be to look at Celebrity. While there will be families and children on board virtually every cruise line and ship sailing, they cater more to an adult demographic with less designated family and children based on board activities. HAL would be another consideration but IMO the targeted demographics there are more of an older crowd.

Not sure about limited ships remarks. I have cruised in April, October and the weekend of Labor day in September. This time I am going the weekend after Labor Day but of Veteran's Day. I hope that it has less children on board. I actually love going during Hurricane Season they have the best prices. Once cruise there was a Hurricane the week before we left. They already sent us information that they may have to change the ports. It was very sunny not a cloud in the sky.

Celebrity Equinox....October/November :cool::cool::cool: On the "Celebrity" boards, there are many "live" reviews and pictures. Check it out. Amazing and cannot wait to board this ship. LOVE Celebrity!!!!

Seconded. Celebrity was the first line that came to my mind reading the OP's criteria. Plus, Equinox is a beautiful ship with great food options.

I wonder if those saying to avoid Disney have actually sailed it. I do think Celebrity is a good option, but my wife and I sailed on Disney without our kids and had a great time because their adult area was more extensive and much better than the Norwegian cruise we took. And their lounges turn adult only at a certain time so a big chunk of where the entertainment is without kids. So I would say look for ships with nice adult areas where you can relax and also have entertainment.

Celebrity Summit out of San Juan is a great option. We sailed last April and really enjoyed it. We are sailing Summit again this November. If you want lots of ports it is a great option. Typically Celebrity has fewer children. We are the same. Four kids at home. We like our time to vacation without them. Summit is more laid back vibe. Not a lot of big production numbers if that is what you are looking for. We tend to enjoy the food, the gym is very nice, Solarium pool is great to hang out

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I wonder if those saying to avoid Disney have actually sailed it. I do think Celebrity is a good option, but my wife and I sailed on Disney without our kids and had a great time because their adult area was more extensive and much better than the Norwegian cruise we took. And their lounges turn adult only at a certain time so a big chunk of where the entertainment is without kids. So I would say look for ships with nice adult areas where you can relax and also have entertainment.

My niece and her husband say the same as you.

Disney is very strict about not allowing children in the "adult" areas.

I get what you're saying, and Disney is a great cruise line. But there's a big difference between a mostly adult ship and a ship with just dedicated adult areas. If the OP is looking for a ship void of a lot of children, Disney is the last cruise line I would recommend.

I am a first time cruiser as well. We choose the Adventure of the Sea from Royal Carribean, doing the southern Carribean this fall. It is going in for refit at the beginning of next year, so would have updated rooms and amenities next fall.