Ships we've sailed that no longer exist.

mek

I was thinking about all of the ships I've sailed on that have changed ownership and now sail under a new name and then I did some research on ships I've been on that no longer even exist. Here goes...

Emerald Seas - Scrapped

Mardi Gras - Scrapped

Festival - Scrapped

Regent Sea - Sank

Regent Star - Scrapped

Seabreeze - Sank

Norway - Scrapped

Anyone else?

Trent, you are so valuable with your information on Fla. departures. Sailed Festivale (first cruise) 1984. I stayed on the QE2 in Boston Harbor many years ago. My company rented it for a convention. We sailed ncl Windward twice, but don't know what happed to her. Also sailed a 3 dayer on Seaward, don't know what happed to that ship either.

Trent, you are so valuable with your information on Fla. departures. Sailed Festivale (first cruise) 1984. I stayed on the QE2 in Boston Harbor many years ago. My company rented it for a convention. We sailed ncl Windward twice, but don't know what happed to her. Also sailed a 3 dayer on Seaward, don't know what happed to that ship either.

Thanks... NCL Windward was lengthened and renamed Norwegian Wind in 1998, then was transferred to to NCL's parent Star Cruises in 2007 and renamed SuperStar Aquarius. Seaward was renamed Norwegian Sea in 1997 and then in 2005 transferred to Star Cruises and renamed SuperStar Libra.

................ships I've been on that no longer even exist. Here goes...

France ...which became the Norway and was then scrapped.

Dawn Princess (the original) ex Sylvania / Fairwind ...that became the Albatros before being scrapped.

Independence - which will probably never sail again... but does still exist.

I have sailed aboard many ships that are still in service but sailing for different lines under different names (Sun Viking, Skyward, Song of America, Horizon, Vistafjord, Crystal Harmony, and many more). However, I have cruised on the following ships that no longer are in service:

Jupiter (Epirotiki) -- Sank

Norway -- Scrapped

Liberte (American Hawaii) (ex Volendam, etc.) -- Scrapped

Dawn Princess (the original) (ex Sylvania, Fairwind) -- Scrapped

Miami (my first cruise, back in 1967, Peninsular & Occidental Line) -- Sank on way to scrapyard

Rotterdam V (hotel ship in Holland)

QE2 (layed up in Dubai)

Chuck

Carnival Tropicale - Now part of Costa

I cruised a very small line in the Galapagos islands and do not remember the cruise line. I wonder if they are still around.

Tropicale went from Costa to P&O Australia in 2006 as Pacific Star. Subsequently went to Pullmantor as Ocean Dream.

Original Home Lines Homeric - sunk

Zenith -to Pullmantur as Zenith

Carnival Celebration, to Ibero Cruceros as Grand Celebration

Royal Princess, to P&O as Artemis, but she has been sold on...

Also:

All of the Windjammer boats (except Mandalay, which has been bought by Angermeyer Cruises and being prepped for cruising in the Galapagos)--scrapped or rotting in ports, although the Fantome was lost in a hurricane, along with crew that was still aboard her.

SS Caribe I--scrapped

Columbia Queen--out of service, but could be brought back I think; not sure about rest of the boats that were under Delta Queen and then Majestic.

Windstar's Wind Song: sunk

Independence - which will probably never sail again... but does still exist.

A note from the Countryman & McDaniel Cargo Law website on the Former SS Independance:

682-ft American ocean liner Platnium-II (Ex-SS Oceanic, SS Independence) is under investigation by the Indian Union ministry of environment & forests (MoEF), which has sought a detailed report from the Gujarat Maritime Board (GMB) and Gujarat Pollution Control Board (GPCB). The vessel arrived at Alang under tow of Tug Barakuda-1 on Oct. 7. The vessel, believed to have 200 metric tons of asbestos-containing material, was beached for breaking without approval from authorities. The Indian Platform on Ship Breaking is demanding that US recall the ship. The vessel had previously been lying idle at Dubai for over a year. [From our Sr. Correspondent Tim Schwabedissen, 15-10-09]

So it still exists but it's hanging by a thread!

Was trying to reach and hook-up with Conte Di Savoia. We will be on the July 1-16, 2010 Norway Coast cruise on the Silver Cloud. Wanted to connect more directly, if possible, to check on some added Silversea and other questions. My e-mail is TLCohio@aol.com

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

What a great thread!

I don't think I saw the following yet:

Britanis (Chandris/Celebrity)

Regent Rainbow

Big Red Boats: Oceanic & Majestic (my very first cruise)

Enchanted Isle

SS Vera Cruz

Actually Regent Rainbow is still in existence and sails on as The Emerald for Cyprus based Louis Cruises. I sailed on her when she was still Grace Line's Santa Rosa. She looked quite different in those days resembling a single funneled version of United States, not surprising since she and her twin Santa Paula were designed by William Francis Gibbs.