Dog lovers cruising to Grand Turk

raynae111

We just got back from Grand Turk a couple days ago. Around the port area, my husband and I noticed a very skinny starving brown dog who was obviously nursing. I asked a local about her and he said she was nursing 7 pups.. It broke my heart because this dog was very much starving and looking for food. When I went back to the ship to eat lunch, I saved my left-overs and took them to her when I returned to port (she likes chicken a lot;). She is very gentle, but afraid to be touched, but a very sweet dog. For all dog-lovers going to Grand Turk, you might save your left-overs to feed this little sweetie as you can see her ribs and I can't imagine how she is nursing 7 pups. I wanted to take her with us, but the ship looks down on bringing dogs aboard;) She hangs around the port area and pool, light brown, and VERY skinny. Thanks!;););)

That's so sad but do you realize you are not allowed to take food off the ship unless it's pre-packaged and not open? Just saying...wouldn't want people to start trying to do this and get caught. They will throw it out if they search you.

• 2 weeks later...

We have spent 8 days on Grand Turk in 2013 and 2014. Yes, there are a lot of dogs on GT--"Pot Cakes". They are independent not wild. Most that we saw were well-fed and had collars. Veterinarians visit the island and provide shots, spay/neutering services, and check the dogs out. When that is done, they put collars on them so they know which ones were examined.

These friendly critters do not bark, do not present any danger, and mostly just hang out. They will check to see if you have any food for them, but do NOT pester or beg.

Besides the dogs, there are "wild" horses and donkeys all over the place. We thought of this as a part of the experience. GT has excellent animal activists that provide for these animals.

We did not stay or visit the cruise center, and stayed at Manta House which is right by a great beach bar, the Sandbar. Food is very good, and the two sisters that own Manta and the Sandbar are ex-pats from Toronto. Tonya and Katya are perhaps the best hosts ever! Take a cab to this place for a great relaxing stop. They will call you a cab when you want to leave, and it is about a 5-10 minute cab ride to the ship.

We really like this island--especially the "Belongers"--what the locals like to be called.

• 1 month later...

i think we saw the same dog. we rented a cabana at margaretaville and a starving nursing dog came up. we had gotten nachos and cheese fries and had some left over. I know its not idea dog food but we fed her intil the margaritaville peole chased her away.