Dining (Solo?) on Carnival

attilamom1217

I am cruising for the first time as a solo (I am in my mid-60s and recently widowed). I am waitlisted for traditional dining (early seating) and confirmed for anytime dining.

Will I be seated at a larger or at a table for 1 in anytime dining? I really don't want to eat alone. I am hoping that the the Maitre D will find a place for me at the early seating in the traditional dining room, but I'm asking in case he can't.

thanks,

Debbi

I am cruising for the first time as a solo (I am in my mid-60s and recently widowed). I am waitlisted for traditional dining (early seating) and confirmed for anytime dining.

Will I be seated at a larger or at a table for 1 in anytime dining? I really don't want to eat alone. I am hoping that the the Maitre D will find a place for me at the early seating in the traditional dining room, but I'm asking in case he can't.

thanks,

Debbi

It will be your choice each day whether you want to dine alone or with company. There may be a wait one way or another. Be aware that most of the tables for 2 (which you'd get as a solo diner) are very close to other tables. You can interact with your neighbors as is your, and their, preference.

My suggestion, if you have YTD and really want to dine with someone, you ask around beforehand for a dinner partner and have them join you at the appropriate time.

It will be your choice each day whether you want to dine alone or with company. There may be a wait one way or another. Be aware that most of the tables for 2 (which you'd get as a solo diner) are very close to other tables. You can interact with your neighbors as is your, and their, preference.

My suggestion, if you have YTD and really want to dine with someone, you ask around beforehand for a dinner partner and have them join you at the appropriate time.

Ask around? Who or how do I go about asking around for a dinner partner?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Ask around? Who or how do I go about asking around for a dinner partner?

Start now with your roll call. If you can't set something up there, then you'll certainly meet lots of friendly people on the ship, whatever you decide to do - trivia, shows, bars, the pool, the piano, the nightclub, and everywhere else. You can also meet people on excursions - especially if you take one from the ship. You can also get in line for dinner and ask the people in front and/or behind you.

I would ask this question on the Carnival board. I don't know how anytime dining is handled on Carnival, but I know that on Holland America I've always gone into the dining room, given them my cabin number and told them that I wanted to share a table and have always been accommodated. Hopefully it's that simple on Carnival.

I would ask this question on the Carnival board. I don't know how anytime dining is handled on Carnival, but I know that on Holland America I've always gone into the dining room, given them my cabin number and told them that I wanted to share a table and have always been accommodated. Hopefully it's that simple on Carnival.

That has also been my experience on Holland America. I enjoyed sitting with different people each evening. On my last solo Carnival cruise, I got fixed seating, and my tablemates were duds. As was already suggested by Elycelynne, head on over to the Carnival board to find out how they handle single walk-ups in anytime dining.

Roz

thanks,

Debbi

When you go to the dinning room, just tell them you would like to share. I've always been seated with others when doing this.

My experience: Carnival Liberty, January, 2017, 4 day cruise---

First Night: Dinner in the Steakhouse, solo, my choice to do so. Why? I wanted to take advantage of the free bottle of wine or 50% off any wine on their wine list.

I was booked for Anytime Dining and dined around 8:00 P. M.

Night #2: Gala Night, I requested a round table for 6 and told the Assistant DRM that I would like to be seated with others. 3 very interesting ladies were seated with me very soon after I was seated.

Nights #3 and #4: Same request, but a different result. I was seated at my preferred table shape/size, but dined alone. Few guests were seated after I was at that time of the evening and those that appeared all were in large parties or were couples that wanted to dine alone.

In retrospect, to insure that I had dining companions, I ought to have requested fixed seating. But, even then, others at your assigned table may choose to dine elsewhere from time to time and you will find yourself "alone again".

One advantage to Nights #3 and #4: service was even better than on Night #2! And, my Assistant MDR on Night #4 apologized three times for not being able to seat others with me! (I assured her that I was perfectly fine with what happened. And, I was.)

I have sailed Carnival solo many times and always request assigned dining. I request a large table. Carnival is very good putting solos together. Many people choose MTD because they do not want to share and that is the same on all cruise lines.

If you cannot get assigned dining (early or late) see the Maitre'd the day you board. Usually available between 1-3.

Start now with your roll call. If you can't set something up there, then you'll certainly meet lots of friendly people on the ship, whatever you decide to do - trivia, shows, bars, the pool, the piano, the nightclub, and everywhere else. You can also meet people on excursions - especially if you take one from the ship. You can also get in line for dinner and ask the people in front and/or behind you.

Great advice!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I have sailed Carnival solo many times and always request assigned dining. I request a large table. Carnival is very good putting solos together. Many people choose MTD because they do not want to share and that is the same on all cruise lines.

If you cannot get assigned dining (early or late) see the Maitre'd the day you board. Usually available between 1-3.

I am still waitlisted for traditional dining. I do plan on visiting the Maitre D as soon as I board to try and change my dining. I really do NOT want to eat alone. I do that at home and J am lonely. It has only been six weeks that I am single.

Just received notification that I am now confirmed early dining. Yay!! [emoji3][emoji106]

Congratulations!

Just as a recommendation, if offered. Don't order the entree Caribbean Pepper Steak. Of my 4 dinners on Carnival Liberty, this dish truly was the most disappointing that I ate.

I wish you a wonderful cruise!

Congratulations!

Just as a recommendation, if offered. Don't order the entree Caribbean Pepper Steak. Of my 4 dinners on Carnival Liberty, this dish truly was the most disappointing that I ate.

I wish you a wonderful cruise!

Thanks for the heads up. I can be a picky eater so I will make a note to stay away from this dish.