Driving to Galveston

SunFunNYoga

We are driving to Galveston from DFW the morning of our cruise (next Sunday). I have read comments that there is construction on 45, but can't find anything recent. Since it's on a Sunday, is 45 still the way to go or is there a better alternative?

We went through there on the way to Galveston in June, and there is some construction south of Dallas, maybe to Corsicana. It is the most direct route. DH couldn't remember how far it went, but said it wasn't too bad. It's about a 5hr drive to Galveston from there...will you make it to Galveston before the ship sails?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by CCC3

The same day drive is a beating and we did it 3 years ago. The last 2 years we've driven down on Saturday and spent the night. Way too many variables with TxDOT that could easily cause you to miss the boat, literally.

Might be tough to find something decent this close to your trip, but just wanted to put it out there.

Safe travels and enjoy your cruise.

Look at the Hampton Inn in League City. It's right on I-45 and we've got a room there for our Sept Galveston cruise for about $112 (and that includes tax). Our drive is from central Texas, so a shorter trip than yours, and we're going the day before the cruise.

I don't think there is any major I-45 construction taking place south of Houston anymore; they've "finished" the freeway construction (for now, as they have always been building/rebuilding 45!!)

Even with construction, I-45 is pretty much the way to go. You could get creative, but it's really not worth it.

I haven't made the trip that far in a while, but recently drove as far as Madisonville. Yes, there is construction south of Corsicana. One patch just south of there and another about 5-10 miles further south. Both are in an area where there is really no good way around them. Note that I was travelling on a Friday afternoon, so they probably had as many lanes open as possible. If construction were to shut any lanes down for an inordinate amount of time, Sunday morning would be a possible "danger zone". The lighter the traffic, the more likely they will be to shut down a lane or two (or, heaven's forbid, all the lanes).

On good days, the trip clocks in a just under 5 hours.

We don't take chances. We don't care about fancy as we just need a place to sleep. We have stayed in Houston at the Doubletree Hobby Airport before, leaving about a 40 minute drive on cruise day. There is sufficient real estate between south Houston and Galveston to make any "last-minute" shopping stops. We have also looked into the Comfort Inn in Texas City (a good combination of close, cheap and descent TripAdvisor ratings). I think I had reservations for less than $85, but cancelled when I figured out I could use points elsewhere. Since we aren't getting to the hotel early and will not stay long the next day, we aren't that picky.

EDIT: I note that you didn't say you were living in the DFW area, just driving from there on Sunday. Perhaps maybe you are coming in from elsewhere? If so, the "continue on through to Houston" advice may be a little bit of a long drive. If time permits, I would check the hotels south of Corsicana to avoid the possible morning construction. Fairfield, Centerville, Madisonville, Huntsville are all possible locations with chain hotels.

Thank you so much for all of the info. Due to work schedules, we would have to leave late Saturday so figured it would be better to leave early on Sunday. It sounds like if we leave before 6:30, we should be able to make it for our 1:00 boarding time. But I will check out the websites on Saturday and see if we need to be packed and ready to leave by 5.

Thank you so much for all of the info. Due to work schedules, we would have to leave late Saturday so figured it would be better to leave early on Sunday. It sounds like if we leave before 6:30, we should be able to make it for our 1:00 boarding time. But I will check out the websites on Saturday and see if we need to be packed and ready to leave by 5.

I know you know your allowed boarding time is later than 1:00.

By Thursday the State will announce up to date I-45 construction areas , if any?

Enjoy your cruise!

I would definitely try to leave between 5 and 6. You want to have some built in time for any possible delays or stops you might make on the way. Traffic always backed up going thru Houston. And I think you have to be onboard the ship at least 90 minutes before scheduled departure time.

Lots of people stop just for the clean rest rooms. All kinds of food, beverage, souvenir and home decorating items for sale. And like a hundred gas pumps.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app

Heck yeah. Those are the best restrooms. Clean. Stalls with real doors. Each stall/urninal has their own hand sanitizer.