Remember When Celebrity Was the BEST Cruise Line?

curtdesilets

I realize I'm probably in the minority here on these boards, but I just had a fantastic time aboard the Celebrity Equinox. No problems parking, nor with embarkation, dining onboard (in five different venues - all very good to excellent), with entertainment that was

wonderful, nor service - all excellent, or value which was terrific.

Clearly, I'm missing something... oh! The baggage claim at departure was bungled!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

They're still a good line. They're just evolving. Some like that and some don't. They'd still be my first choice amongst mainstream lines.

I realize I'm probably in the minority here on these boards, but I just had a fantastic time aboard the Celebrity Equinox.

Well, you might not be in the minority. I have sailed on Equinox 6 times. And, I had a wonderful cruise each time. :)

We sailed on the Connie a year or two later with friends and remember our MDR waiter, Carlos, who was from Panama and was nearing the end of his contract. We enjoyed his expertise as a waiter and his stories about his family back home. Good times and good memories..bosco

Funny, we remember our head waiter on that first Infinity cruise in 2001. His name was Petra, from Macedonia I believe. He was so great. There was a desert called Tutti Frutti so we asked him what it was. Like you described, all the waiters gave descriptions of deserts, entrees etc. They loved to practice their English and truly wanted to converse and ask us about our day, etc. Well Petra got a bit flustered trying to describe this "Tutti Frutti" dish and just said "trust me, it's great!" And it was.

We remember those 16 year old dining experiences on Infinity as if they were yesterday. A few years later we ran into him on Summit or Constellation. And yes he did remember us. :)

After about page 5 I stopped reading each entry in detail, so maybe this has been mentioned.

What????- "Do you remember when Celebrity was the best cruise line?" And exactly when was that? I know that Celebrity is a wonderful cruise line and the favorite of many, but if some think that at some time it was the BEST, no wonder folks are disappointed with many of the changes overtime.

Having been cruising and a cruising fan since the mid 1970s I found some comments interesting. For example:

1. One related to the newness of Viking Ocean cruises and their high ratings. The comments was something like 'how can such a new line be so good and Celebrity is losing groun? or something to that effect. REMEMBER - ROYAL Viking (same corporate leadership) was a top tier OCEAN cruise line in the 1970s and 1980s. Not as formal as Cunard (QM, QE, QE2) but far above the other cruise lines. Then they closed shop (bankrupt???? do not remember). Then at some point the same Management folks started Viking River Cruises and now have returned to Ocean cruising. We were fortunate enough to cruise with Royal Viking and that set a standard have never been able to duplicate at prices we can pay.

2. I personally have NEVER known of Celebrity being considered THE Top Cruise Line as some mentioned. This is NOT to reflect on how good Celebrity was or now can be, but simply that over the years numerous cruise lines have been more highly rated, some of which have disappeared. While I do not know exactly which cruise lines started when, but once lines like Seaborn and Silver Seas were launched, they have held the top tier spots along with some others that have since disappeared if we are looking at cruise lines in general. When you get into specific market segments (like ship size, certain ports, etc.) Celebrity may rank at the TOP of the list, but only for certain segments of the experience from what I have read at least.) Just reflecting on my experiences!

Edited by wander

After about page 5 I stopped reading each entry in detail, so maybe this has been mentioned....

I personally have NEVER known of Celebrity being considered THE Top Cruise Line as some mentioned...

Oh it was the best. At least as far as whatever "mainstream lines" is defined. Here is some sales literature from 2006 or thereabouts: http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/Incentives/SL06-124176_Cel_Reasons_Incentives_TP.pdf

Oh it was the best. At least as far as whatever "mainstream lines" is defined. Here is some sales literature from 2006 or thereabouts: http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Celebrity/Incentives/SL06-124176_Cel_Reasons_Incentives_TP.pdf

It was a sweet spot for Celebrity in 2006! Sailed on both Constellation and infinity and loved Celebrity. At the time I was comparing Celebrity to Royal and Princess and it clearly was a more upscale line.

BUT, that was produced by X. Any cruise line sells themselves.

Or as in the case of Celebrity, over sells. RE: Modern Luxury, Kobe beef etc.

I've been sailing Celebrity since 2010 and other lines back to as early as the mid 1980's. I don't care what it was then. I care what it is now. I look at itineraries, quality of food and value. BTW value does not equate to cheap. I've paid over $350 for dinner. exclusive of drinks, and felt it was a good value. I've eaten $12 hamburgers and felt it wasn't.

I don't like companies that over promise and under deliver.

(in five different venues - all very good to excellent),

Clearly, I'm missing something... oh!

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

Yes, you are missing the fact that I do not want to have to eat in 5 different venues. The food and service in the MDR was better (and included in your cruise fare) than any of the specialty (fee restaurants) that are currently on board Celebrity now.

As a matter of fact the MDR would serve lunch each day and most of the lunches back then were as good of even better than the dinners we now get.

Yes, you are missing the fact that I do not want to have to eat in 5 different venues. The food and service in the MDR was better (and included in your cruise fare) than any of the specialty (fee restaurants) that are currently on board Celebrity now.

As a matter of fact the MDR would serve lunch each day and most of the lunches back then were as good of even better than the dinners we now get.

This may be an old post but the above statement by CruisingChick is very accurate and sums up what a lot of people who cruised in the past think about today's dining.

+1

bosco

This may be an old post but the above statement by CruisingChick is very accurate and sums up what a lot of people who cruised in the past think about today's dining.

+1

bosco

Thank you.

I am unsure of what they are talking about regarding an old thread as the OP "curtdesilets" started this thread on July 19, 2017, so only 6 days ago.

Thank you.

I am unsure of what they are talking about regarding an old thread as the OP "curtdesilets" started this thread on July 19, 2017, so only 6 days ago.

Sorry. It is a current thread and it encompasses so many other older threads and discussions about where cruising has progressed and regressed.

Do we still love cruising? YUP. and have two more booked already. We just have to understand that things do change and not always to our taste.

And we do agree totally with your feelings: "As a matter of fact the MDR would serve lunch each day and most of the lunches back then were as good of even better than the dinners we now get."

bosco:)

Celebrity Cruises was started as an upscale part of Chandris Cruise Line. In an effort to distinguish itself from other lines it hired 3 star Michelin chef Michel Roux as supervisor of cuisine, similar to Oceania's hiring of

Jacques Pepin. It immediately became known as the line of superior food offerings and great service. I sailed on the Horizon in 1990 and on the Zenith a couple of years later and the food was amazingly good and imaginative. Celebrity became very successful using this as a springboard to success. The Horizon and Zenith were ships of about 48,000 tons which at that time seemed absolutely huge. With today's much larger ships that supposedly have a much better economy of operation, I wonder why cutbacks in service and food are continually required.

Celebrity Cruises was started as an upscale part of Chandris Cruise Line. In an effort to distinguish itself from other lines it hired 3 star Michelin chef Michel Roux as supervisor of cuisine, similar to Oceania's hiring of

Jacques Pepin. It immediately became known as the line of superior food offerings and great service. I sailed on the Horizon in 1990 and on the Zenith a couple of years later and the food was amazingly good and imaginative. Celebrity became very successful using this as a springboard to success. The Horizon and Zenith were ships of about 48,000 tons which at that time seemed absolutely huge. With today's much larger ships that supposedly have a much better economy of operation, I wonder why cutbacks in service and food are continually required.

Chef Michel Roux took Celebrity Cruise Lines to the next level in cuisine dining & service, in my humble opinion. It was always Excellent cuisine dining in the MDR and their speciality restaurants it was always Five Star dining and Excellent service.

We also fondly remember the Horizon and Zenith as well as the Meridian...which once got us safety through a nasty hurricane (and we did not miss a meal). But we do have the answer to your question of "why cutbacks in service and food are continually required." Today's American Corporate culture has often become a "short game" as CEOs try to squeeze every penny out of costs...and move it to the so-called bottom line (or profit). As long as they can fill the berths, we expect to see a continuing deterioration of this cruise line because this seems to be the new philosophy of the management team. As is the case with many cost saving measures, many of the cut-backs will be a subtle as possible. Perhaps a nightly chocolate on the pillow will disappear or be replaced by a lower cost confection or an empty pillow. Unlimited bottles of cheap "Celebrity Water" (in Aqua Class) have become 2 bottles (per cruise) of cheap "Celebrity Water." Once tasty fish, gets replaced with tasteless farmed fish. A can of Coke gets replaced by a fountain coke. An 1 inch ribeye gets replaces with a 1/2 inch ribeye. Fresh squeezed OJ in the Elite breakfasts...gets replaced with some kind of frozen juice. An Omelet once made with real eggs, is now made with homogenized commercial liquid eggs out of a box. Perhaps a free hamburger at the Mast Grill, gets replaced by a $9.95 burger. One could go on and on (that would make an interesting thread to see just how many things could be listed).

Until about 4 years ago, DW and I thought we had found cruise heaven. We could cruise 75 -110 days a year and do it on our favorite cruise lines of HAL, and Celebrity. But as Celebrity started to go downhill, we tossed Princess back into the mix (with very favorable results). And now, with Celebrity continuing on a down slope, we have substituted what would have certainly been a 21 day Celebrity cruise with a 21 day MSC Cruise. 3 years ago we never would have dreamed that MSC would be competition for Celebrity, but MSC has a different corporate culture (it is privately held) and is gaining fans every day. Anyone who compares their "Yacht Club" to the perks given to Celebrity suites...would notice a huge difference.

Hank

Until about 4 years ago, DW and I thought we had found cruise heaven. We could cruise 75 -110 days a year and do it on our favorite cruise lines of HAL, and Celebrity. But as Celebrity started to go downhill, we tossed Princess back into the mix (with very favorable results). And now, with Celebrity continuing on a down slope, we have substituted what would have certainly been a 21 day Celebrity cruise with a 21 day MSC Cruise. 3 years ago we never would have dreamed that MSC would be competition for Celebrity, but MSC has a different corporate culture (it is privately held) and is gaining fans every day. Anyone who compares their "Yacht Club" to the perks given to Celebrity suites...would notice a huge difference.

Hank

I understand what you mean. I was just late to the party because I kept feeling Celebrity's down slide was a one off. I learned better. I just pulled the trigger on a HAL winter cruise as a fill in that Celebrity should have gotten. I never considered HAL for a cruise until just this month.

Sometimes it's good to get off a company at the top as it begins it's slide down. Celebrity has been held in high regard by an incredible number of people. Slowly others are beginning to jump off. Some people just like to be loyal and ride a business as they take on water.

I don't understand why Celebrity wants to be more like Royal Caribbean other than that's where LLP learned all she knows.

I don't think Celebrity is concerned yet that once they lose the top position in their category to another, it costs 10x more to try and regain that spot and usually they won't be able to get it back. Currently Celebrity believes they can attract younger people with money. It appears they don't want the legacy cruisers who cost a lot in loyalty perks. We'll see who was right. Celebrity or the cruisers that found other places for their vacation $$$$.

Thank you.

I think that someone did not read the thread or my post, I was being sarcastic when someone posted, only yesterday, that it would be great if Virgin got into cruising !

I was pointing out they are in cruising and have been for many years and the op just had not bothered to do their research before posting such rubbish.

I think that someone did not read the thread or my post, I was being sarcastic when someone posted, only yesterday, that it would be great if Virgin got into cruising !

I was pointing out they are in cruising and have been for many years and the op just had not bothered to do their research before posting such rubbish.

I thought Virgin's first ocean liner will not be sailing until 2020. If they have been cruising for many years, under what name have they been using?

http://www.cntraveler.com/story/virgin-voyages-begins-construction-of-first-cruise-ship

I thought Virgin's first ocean liner will not be sailing until 2020. If they have been cruising for many years, under what name have they been using?

That's my understanding as well.

In the U.K. They sell cruises on other cruise lines, such as Celebrity, in their capacity as a U.K. Travel agent

I understand what you mean. I was just late to the party because I kept feeling Celebrity's down slide was a one off. I learned better. I just pulled the trigger on a HAL winter cruise as a fill in that Celebrity should have gotten. I never considered HAL for a cruise until just this month.

Sometimes it's good to get off a company at the top as it begins it's slide down. Celebrity has been held in high regard by an incredible number of people. Slowly others are beginning to jump off. Some people just like to be loyal and ride a business as they take on water.

I don't understand why Celebrity wants to be more like Royal Caribbean other than that's where LLP learned all she knows.

I don't think Celebrity is concerned yet that once they lose the top position in their category to another, it costs 10x more to try and regain that spot and usually they won't be able to get it back. Currently Celebrity believes they can attract younger people with money. It appears they don't want the legacy cruisers who cost a lot in loyalty perks. We'll see who was right. Celebrity or the cruisers that found other places for their vacation $$$$.

Sometimes they also don't understand that if a legacy cruiser goes elsewhere they may take a very large family and friends group with them.

Sometimes they also don't understand that if a legacy cruiser goes elsewhere they may take a very large family and friends group with them.

Tru dat. My co-workers and friends know I do a lot of research and cruising. I can't tell you how many times they've asked me, so when's your next cruise and where are you going. They're also always asking me for cruising recommendations before they book their trips.

So how can I recommend Celebrity to them if I'm taking a break from this line until I see a different direction that I would enjoy more?

I wouldn't mind trying a Virgin. ;)

Newer cruiser here that also really enjoyed a recent sailing on the Equinox. We haven't sailed many cruise lines, but we enjoyed Celebrity much more than our first cruise on Carnival.

In regards to the specialty restaurants, why does this bother folks? You're not forced into dining at them right? My wife and I avoided them completely and ate in the MDR every night which we were satisfied with. We did think the Oceanview was "meh" most of the time, but it didn't bother us too much. We only used it for breakfast/lunch when we were tight on time.