Norwegian Pearl - Alaska July 2-9, 2017

9bda58740e27e3c25d52fb061eacda5a.jpg

Just back from an amazing trip! I have read many posts and reviews, and enjoyed learning all I could about our trip before we left, so I wanted to post all about our trip when we returned! Hope you enjoy...

We decided to spend a couple days in Seattle before the cruise left. We had 48 hours to pack in as much as we could! We arrived in Seattle around 2:30PM on Friday and our first stop was check-in at our hotel (Grand Hyatt). I purchased a City Pass for my husband and I so we could see as much as possible.

First on the itinerary was Chihuly Garden and Glass. We were able to walk there from our hotel. It was a beautiful day and we could take in some of the sights on our way. The glass and garden was beautiful. We walked around for a little over an hour and it was plenty of time to see it all. Next, we had dinner reservations at 7:30PM at Sky City at the top of the Space Needle. We planned this trip to celebrate 15 years of marriage and I noted that on the reservation through Open Table. They would not allow us to check in and go up the elevator until within 15 minutes of our reservation. When we arrived at our table, there was a special card for us wishing a Happy Anniversary. Super special touch. The dinner was decent, they had a 3-course special that we both did. The views and service were great. After dinner we walked around the observation deck (free for dinner guests) and watched the sunset. We got drinks and stayed at the top until the city lights came on. It was a great day.

Here is a video of the first day.

if the video below doesn't work.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/08tIl2F7c8w" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SaveSave

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

75c07df8cf96b17bfc715e5e1eaeb3d8.jpg

Seattle Day 2

We woke up early and walked to Pike Place Market. I'm a Starbucks addict and really wanted to see the first store. I had heard the lines get long, so hit it early. We were there around 8:30AM and the line was pretty short. We got a few cups and gift cards that are only sold in the "first store."

We started walking around the market but a lot hadn't opened yet so we just walked up and down the isles for the next hour or two watching all the vendors come in and get set up. By about 10AM, it started to get busy and it was fun to watch all the action including the "flying fish." We got a few things to eat in the market - a breakfast pastry from Piroshky, Piroshky, Beecher's Mac and Cheese, some fried shrimp, and a little wine tasting. We also had to visit the infamous "gum wall." Before we left the market, we got a little cheesecake bite from The Confectional and it was so good!

Next on our itinerary for the day was an Argosy "locks" cruise. The cruise was part of the Seattle City Pass but the "locks" cruise was an upgrade. While we waited for our turn, we had some clam chowder from Cafe 56. I chose to upgrade to the locks cruise to see more Seattle sights including the Sleepless in Seattle floating home, along with going through the Chittenden Locks. We really enjoyed it and I would definitely recommend it.

The Argosy tour dropped us off at the AGC Marina on Lake Union and we walked over the the MPOP (Museum of Pop Culture) which was also part of our City Pass. We didn't enjoy this very much... guess we aren't hip enough...

We left there pretty quickly and rode the monorail back towards Pike Market. From there, we walked to the Seattle Aquarium (also part of the City Pass). We enjoyed the aquarium. It is not very large but all of their exhibits use water from the ocean. They have an area where you can touch starfish and other sea creatures. There are also jelly fish, octopus, salmon, otters, seals, and an underwater dome.

I had planned to eat dinner at the famous Crab Pot, but it seemed a little pricey for what you get and my husband was craving sushi. So we ate dinner at Sansei Seafood & Sushi. It was okay, nothing too special.

After dinner, we went to ride the Great Wheel (ferris wheel) down on the water. It was not part of the City Pass but a nice ride with a little view of the city. Off to bed, we are cruising tomorrow!!!

See the video from the day here:https://youtu.be/h28gQ2RmRYs

Sent from my iPad using Forums

d4d55ae168750361c47b33a3aad3d3f7.jpg

Alaska Cruise - Day 1

Finally our cruise was here! We visited Pike Place Market and picked up flowers in the morning. I had read online of people bringing the beautiful market flowers to their cabin and loved the idea. I also mentally prepared myself for a long check-in process.

We checked out of hotel room at 11:50AM, were picked up by Uber at 12:00PM, arrived at port at 12:15PM, dropped our bags with the porter who met us at the car door and went to get checked in. The porter approached us so quickly and took our bags, that I was a little worried that I had given our bags to the right person. I asked a cruise representative and she said we were good to proceed to the check-in area. Giving our bags to the porter saved us a long line in the baggage area. Next, we went through customs (passport & cruise docs), security, check-in, and were on the ship by 12:40PM. The whole process was so quick and easy, I was shocked!

We went straight to the spa to book a couples massage for the next day (our first day at sea). Next, we went to get lunch at O'Sheehans. I had read on Cruise Critic that it was a good place to get lunch on sail away day as the buffet was packed, and it was a great tip. No wait, good service and great food. We ordered nachos, Chicago hot dog and chipotle chicken sandwich & drinks. It was all delicious!

We went to check out our room, cabin 10576, mid-ship balcony. They had an Anniversary card waiting for us. The card said to bring it to any dinner and they would give us a cake to celebrate. We loved our room! We have never cruised in a balcony cabin so we were super excited. My husband's bag arrived right away but mine didn't come until later around sail away time.

Next, we went to pool deck for more drinks (Unlimited Beverage Package = best thing ever!) and explored the ship. Our emergency drill location was in the Lotus Garden which was nice because we could sit, relax, and wait.

After that, we went to the front of the ship for the sail away which was a little late and then walked around more. We went to dinner in the main dining area (Summer Palace) and ate wings, salad, prime rib, brownie & lava cake. (We could get use to these 3-course meals!) After dinner we went to the thermal spa. We had purchased passes before the cruise which saved us money and we were excited to see what it was like. We loved the hot tub indoors and the loungers by the window in the front of the ship. We stayed in the loungers and relaxed while watching the beautiful sunset at sea.

After that, we went back to the room to change and then to the 9:30PM Welcome Aboard Show (comedian - Lucas Bohn). The show was decent and the comedian was pretty funny. Before turning in for the evening, we stoped at Magnums for wine and live Jazz music. It was a great first day!

Here is the video/pictures from the first day:

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thank you so much for posting the menus, dailies, and videos! We will be on this cruise next summer and I am thrilled to find out more about it. How much did you save by ordering the thermal passes before the cruise?

Thank you so much for posting the menus, dailies, and videos! We will be on this cruise next summer and I am thrilled to find out more about it. How much did you save by ordering the thermal passes before the cruise?

I will double check but I think we paid $139 pp before the cruise and it was $189 pp on the ship.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums