Taking alcohol on QM2

Dorset Cruiser

Yes indeed. Cunard's Website says there is a restriction of one bottle of wine per passenger, but the last time I looked it went on to say that restriction is not normally enforced unless necessary. In reality you can take on any drinks you want and as much as you can carry.

Can we take wine and spirits on board for cabin consumption? TIA 🙂

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You certainly can, its one of the benefits of sailing with either Cunard or P&O.

Mind, I personally think taking a wine box onboard is stretching it a bit.

Very pleased you decided to stay by the way.

You certainly can, its one of the benefits of sailing with either Cunard or P&O.

Mind, I personally think taking a wine box onboard is stretching it a bit.

Very pleased you decided to stay by the way.

We'll be taking 2 cases (24 bottles for 4 of us - 2 on 8 night westbound TA and 2 on 15 night roundtrip) and will pay corkeage. Gives us better choice and less expensive.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Forums mobile app

It's worth remembering that this is a very generous concession by Cunard. Abuse it, like dragging crates aboard could alter things.

David

We will have 4 bottles of wine/ champagne in each of 6 people's cases plus a bottle of gin so hardly "dragging crates". Cunard make a good return on the corkage as they have no inventory costs.

Do we pay corkage for in-cabin consumption? Is there a different corkage rate for spirits or are spirits not allowed? And what level of scrutiny does security give regarding alcohol?

I've been baulking at the prices mentioned on here, even the packages!

Do we pay corkage for in-cabin consumption? Is there a different corkage rate for spirits or are spirits not allowed? And what level of scrutiny does security give regarding alcohol?

I've been baulking at the prices mentioned on here, even the packages!

Corkage is only charged when you bring a bottle into a public space (restaurants mostly, but it's written to cover bars as well). If you open and consume in your room no fee is charged.

There isn't a corkage rate per se for spirits because you're not expected to take a bottle of spirits into a restaurant or bar.

You put your bottles on the xray scanner belt, just like anything else. No one pays any mind to what's in them.

It's worth remembering that this is a very generous concession by Cunard. Abuse it, like dragging crates aboard could alter things.

This is often quoted, but makes no sense.

If it was concerned about the loss of revenue with people taking alcohol on board, it would be more concerned with the loss from every customer taking on one bottle each than the odd customer taking on 12 bottles.

We will have 4 bottles of wine/ champagne in each of 6 people's cases plus a bottle of gin so hardly "dragging crates". Cunard make a good return on the corkage as they have no inventory costs.

Well in your post 4 you said you were taking 2 cases, you didn't say you were secreting them in your luggage.

David

I was just reacting to the use of secreting to suggest that anyone would bother to conceal the wine or liquor one is bringing onto a Cunard ship. Just carry it on.

Right. Don't secret or secret wine or liquor when boarding.:)

Thanks Underwatr for the useful info. Does that also mean that we can take a couple of bottles of wine back on board after port excursions, provided they don't leave the cabin?

Yes, that's fine. Bags are scanned when you re-board the ship but they aren't bothered about bottles.

Well in your post 4 you said you were taking 2 cases, you didn't say you were secreting them in your luggage.

David

I don't see it as secreting.

And in the past my parents have just checked in a case of wine when sailing back from Cape Town. We have spread it around luggage in the last as we have flown out to join the ship. This time we are saying fro Southampton so might just have two boxes as well as suitcarriers and suit cases.

I wonder if they will allow outside corkage on a vintage bottle of port for the end of meals. I seem to remember buying such a bottle on board QM last time for the table as it was cheaper than by the glass. This year it's QV for the first time to the Caribbean in November While I'll purchase wine at the table, just a corkage on vintage port would be useful.

As Hattie wrote, yes you can bring on board from a port; we've done that with no problems. And as others have written, you don't need to confine your consumption to your stateroom. You can bring a good wine to the restaurant and pay a corkage fee. Not sure about the question regarding corkage of a bottle of port.

Do you know if cappuccinos are available in the coffee package?

Also, bottled water.

The coffee card does cover cappuccinos. I believe the only coffees excluded are speciality lattes and liqueur coffees.

I am unsure what you are asking re bottled water, if you mean is it included on the coffee card I believe the answer is no, it is really only good for coffee.

Include in the soft drinks package. I really good I don't drink alcohol or tea and coffee. Just good healthy water.

In the past the soft drink package only included soda from a gun, so no bottled water. I have heard nothing to indicate this has changed.

You can drink the tap water and there are water dispensers in the kings court buffet that are free.

For whatever reason the soft drink package is no longer showing in the answer to the "Do you offer drinks packages?" question. I assume this is a oversight as Cunards website is fairly bad but would be good if someone could confirm that it is still on offer.

The soft drinks pack was $6.50 a day on my last crossing but I am fairly sure I have read on hear it had gone up to $8.