Royal introduces non refundable booking option.

I believe this to be a good thing for the way we are able to book.

Some may not like it as in the past they booked several cruises with no intent of using them all, only to reserve the ones they could cherry pick from and then transfer their other deposits over to the ones used.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm glad they are keeping it as two separate ways of booking, I do wonder how this will impact price drops. It only specifies that a change fee will apply if a different ship or sail date is chosen, but with the deposit being non-refundable I wonder if that will also apply to price changes. Not sure how exactly those are handled on the back end in Royal's system.

The price difference would have to be at least $100 cheaper than the refundable rate for me to book using this new system. There is always uncertainty and I'd want to be sure that I fully covered the change fee if something should happen.

I have a sense they'll be eating this. I know UK guests have non-refundable deposits, but they also have a stronger social support network through the government than we do, thus more long term security w/ jobs and benefits. I won't be booking w/RCI unless it is a last minute where I'd pay the full price anyway. Perhaps I should book a Symphony cruise now before the change, just in case :)

Is this correct -- If you choose the Refundable Deposit program, you will notbe assessed a change fee?

The flexibility (coupled with a low deposit) is more important to me than the OBC to us. I have to flip a lot of cruises because of our schedules.

Will this affect cruises already booked? Or just cruises booked before July 1, 2017? I have 6 cruises booked right now.

The way that it is currently written, starting July 1 when booking a cruise you will have the option of booking a non-refundable rate for cheaper and with OBC if far enough out, or the regular (current) refundable rate. So current cruises would likely need to be cancelled and rebooked after July 1 using the new rate. (At least that's how I read it)

Is this correct -- If you choose the Refundable Deposit program, you will notbe assessed a change fee?

The flexibility (coupled with a low deposit) is more important to me than the OBC to us. I have to flip a lot of cruises because of our schedules.

That's how it's written. You can continue booking cruises exactly like you do today (free cancellation, no change fee up to 90 days out) OR book using the new non-refundable rate to get OBC and a special price.

Will this affect cruises already booked? Or just cruises booked before July 1, 2017? I have 6 cruises booked right now.

I don't think it's every booking. I can't get the link to work but it sounds like Carnival's early saver program. Or hotels where if you pay a nonrefundable up front price it's cheaper than waiting to pay when you check in.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

The way that it is currently written, starting July 1 when booking a cruise you will have the option of booking a non-refundable rate for cheaper and with OBC if far enough out, or the regular (current) refundable rate. So current cruises would likely need to be cancelled and rebooked after July 1 using the new rate. (At least that's how I read it)

That's how it's written. You can continue booking cruises exactly like you do today (free cancellation, no change fee up to 90 days out) OR book using the new non-refundable rate to get OBC and a special price.

That sounds like it would work for me -- hope the refundable deposit cruise prices is not much, much higher like airline fares are.

I don't think it's every booking. I can't get the link to work but it sounds like Carnival's early saver program. Or hotels where if you pay a nonrefundable up front price it's cheaper than waiting to pay when you check in.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

From the sales department flyer, it looks like it is not every sailing and TAs can check a box to eliminate non-refundable prices etc.

Might consider it if it added the ability to get price drops after final payment. It looks somewhat like Carnival's Early Saver without the all important price drop protection.

This ought to be good for 1 -2K posts in the next week.

Here is some more info:

http://creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/LTYA_News/17056800_Nonrefundable_FAQ_News.pdf

Particularly interesting is the non-refundable deposits are the only open for GS and above.

mac_tlc

In addition to being the only option for suites it will be the only option for all guarantees regardless of category.

Am I reading correctly in the FAQ that the non refundable deposit is the only option for all guaranteed cabins, regardless of category, and for all suites (Grand and above)?

That is the way I read it.

How will this work if you book onboard and need a place-holder cruise because itinerary hasn't been released yet.

I read the FAQ as guests having the choice between refundable or non-refundable deposit if they are booking other than a full suite or guarantee.

I read the FAQ as guests having the choice between refundable or non-refundable deposit if they are booking other than a full suite or guarantee.
Trusting your judgement -- I am reading it that way too and in the Sales Flyer example, it gives TAs a box to check to eliminate non-refundable prices etc.

Are Next Cruise certificates still available onboard?

Yes...they are but not worth the paper they are printed on any more as far as OBC goes.....and why it was necessary for me to book 3 place holder cruises on HOTS last month.

Why is it that RCI aims everything toward TA's and fails to educate their own reps. on changes...It'll be interesting to see how much misinformation will be given to those that prefer to do their own booking with RCI .

Yes...they are but not worth the paper they are printed on any more as far as OBC goes.....and why it was necessary for me to book 3 place holder cruises on HOTS last month.
I'm more interested in a low deposit as that is what DH wants. That and flexibility are more important to me than OBC although I love having it.

Meh- the OBC amounts suck. $50-$100 for a non refundable deposit? And if you make changes it costs you $100, meaning you'll already lose money if you're in an interior room, even if your plans change by just a week. I guess I'd have to see how much cheaper the rate would be before i get too negative about it. If it made the cruise fare several hundred dollars cheaper then maybe it would be worth it...maybe. I wonder if they allow you to get price drops and make other changes to those bookings.

I don't see myself limiting my options for a measly $50-$100.

Meh- the OBC amounts suck. $50-$100 for a non refundable deposit? And if you make changes it costs you $100, meaning you'll already lose money if you're in an interior room, even if your plans change by just a week. I guess I'd have to see how much cheaper the rate would be before i get too negative about it. If it made the cruise fare several hundred dollars cheaper then maybe it would be worth it...maybe. I wonder if they allow you to get price drops and make other changes to those bookings.

I don't see myself limiting my options for a measly $50-$100.

Agree