What are the best things to do in Victoria in the evening?

We are going to be in Victoria B.C. on our 1 yr Anniversary from 6 PM - 12 PM anybody have any suggestions on what to do? We would like to take a carriage ride and see the parlament building all lite up, but that is so expensive I'm not sure we will do it. $70 for a 30 min. carriage ride. ouch! Any suggestions? Is that an example that the whole town will be so expensive? Is there any place to see whales from the shore there? We love to take pictures, so if you know of any great views or scenery that would be great. Thanks

My only suggestion is do not go to Butchart Gardens unless you're sure there will be enough natural sunlight to see. Unfortunately we went their on a tour after it was dark and it was a waste of time. It's supposed to be beautiful in light, but it is not well lit at all at night.

Good luck.

We are going to be in Victoria B.C. on our 1 yr Anniversary from 6 PM - 12 PM anybody have any suggestions on what to do? We would like to take a carriage ride and see the parlament building all lite up, but that is so expensive I'm not sure we will do it. $70 for a 30 min. carriage ride. ouch! Any suggestions? Is that an example that the whole town will be so expensive? Is there any place to see whales from the shore there? We love to take pictures, so if you know of any great views or scenery that would be great. Thanks

I don't know what excursions NCL offers but on Princess they have an excursion "Butchart Gardens at Dusk" or something to that effect. the gardens are lit.. supposed to be lovely. We booked it on recommendation of others for early June--

You can also just walk along the waterfront in the inner harbor. Lots of good photo ops there of the Empress Hotel and Parliament at night, very romantic...unless it's cold and rainy, then it's not as fun.

That's too bad about the horse-drawn carriage. Princess is offering a one-hour carriage ride around the city for about half what NCL is charging you, although I'm not sure it's a solo thing, you might end up sharing the carriage with other people. Not as romantic that way!

I've lived in BC all my life and have been to Victoria many times. For such a short visit, I would have dinner at Milestones on the Inner Harbour. Walk around the Inner Harbour after dinner and then take a walk through the inside of the Empress Hotel. If you walk up the hill into the city from the Inner Harbour (I think it is Government Street), there are lots of great little shops. My favourite is the Christmas store, Murchies, Munro's Bookstore (big, old and beautiful), all on the side of the Harbour; I think the block just past Munro's books (Murchies is right next door), is a very old section of town that has a great pub in it (can't remember the name). You can also walk around the Parliament buildings. If the weather is not so good (can be quite windy), there is also the Museum (next to the Parliaments, across from the Empress). I've also noticed city tours via double-decker busses. The regular bus system uses double-decker buses also. A carriage ride will not get you very far. I think it may take you through Beacon Hill Park and the Inner Harbour. Avoid Butchart Gardens. It is half an hour outside of Victoria and is better viewed in the daylight.

Victoria is beautiful at any time of the year. Just remember to take a small umbrella on your trip. If you're lucky you'll see harbour seals in the harbour. It is a very romantic city to go to for a first anniversary. Congratulations

I hope that wasn't too confusing and was helpful.

• 3 weeks later...
Why not book the carriage ride directly, yourself? It will be much cheaper than through the ship. Here's a link to Tally-Ho Horse-drawn Carriage tours. If you poke around the site, there is also a 10% off coupon you can use. OR if you're flexible, you don't need to pre-book. Just do a walk-up. You'll easily find them and the double-decker buses.

If you're in Victoria from mid-June through the summer, it will be daylight well into the evening (dusk around 9:30 pm), so plenty of light to see and do things. If you want to take some nice pictures, walk around the inner harbour and in front of the Parliament Buildings and Empress Hotel. You don't have to spend a lot of money to enjoy yourself in Victoria.

• 2 weeks later...

Being a local...let me share a couple of thoughts. It will be light quite late in the evening, so I would suggest a trip to Butchart Gardens. I know a previous post was less than enchanted with an evening visit but it coninues to draw rave reviews. The Saturday evening Fireworks show (summer months only) is INCREDIBLE. I felt it one of the best I had seen.

A stroll around the inner harbour after your BG stop is beautiful. Stop off at the historic Fairmont Empress. Have a drink in the Bengal Room. You don't have much time if you are here for only 6-12.

• 4 weeks later...

We were also amazed by Butchart's Saturday evening fireworks show - it is incredible with both aerial and wonderful set pieces. The show is pretty late, though, depending on when it gets dark, so you might have problems getting back to your ship before sailaway.

By the way, we were at the Gardens in late afternoon, went into the restaurant, had dinner, came out to the RV rested and then did the gardens again when it was dark. We thought it was spectacular.

Carole

I would agree that Butchart Gardens fireworks are well worth it, but if you sail at 12 you don't really have time to do this. The fireworks don't start till around 9 or so and the traffic getting out afterwards is horrendous. I agree with winterblues, Milestones is a great place to go for dinner. That or the Wharfside. Both are on the water - so definately try for a window seat. (Those are the two places in town that we would take a visitor to). From there you can walk up Government Street or down to the Parliament buildings and the Empress Hotel. The walk is a short one, so you could manage both.

Depending on the time of year you're coming, in the summer months the inner harbour has a lot of entertainment by way of street entertainers. Even as a local, we like to go and check this out at least once or twice a year.

Have a great time and enjoy our beautiful city!

• 9 years later...
  • 2 years later...
Being a local...let me share a couple of thoughts. It will be light quite late in the evening, so I would suggest a trip to Butchart Gardens. I know a previous post was less than enchanted with an evening visit but it coninues to draw rave reviews. The Saturday evening Fireworks show (summer months only) is INCREDIBLE. I felt it one of the best I had seen.

A stroll around the inner harbour after your BG stop is beautiful. Stop off at the historic Fairmont Empress. Have a drink in the Bengal Room. You don't have much time if you are here for only 6-12.

you are the person I need... We get off of the cruise In Vancouver on a Sat. in Sept...We want to go to Victoria so we will have our luggage...do you know how I can get there and spend the night and then head back to Vancouver on Sunday Afternoon to fly out on Monday... or are we just pushing it to much...we are 63 but run marathons so we are fine with being on our feet...

Some people have said things are shut down on Sundays ...if this is true maybe we need to rethink...thank you so much for your advise.