SIXT car rental in Fort Lauderdale ?

Ashland

Looking for some feedback on SIXT car rental on 17th St in Fort Lauderdale..We usually rent from Thrifty near the Port Everglades gate but this time we are actually flying from FLL-SJU for a southern cruise. We're coming in to FLL and staying at Embassy Suites for 2 nights (9-11 & 9-12) pre-cruise and SIXT which I believe is just down the street from ES and their price for a 2 day rental is pretty good (special on their online website Toyota Corolla $36.00 inc taxes..is this too good to be true ?)..We're arriving at 9:50am (Thursday) and will have the taxi take us to SIXT and then return the car by their closing time (6:00pm) on Friday and will just taxi back to FLL for our morning (11:20am) flight to SJU..So how does this sound and has anyone done something similar and or used SIXT ???? I've tried researching them but hard to find any car rental company with great reviews... Thanks so much.

Edited by Ashland

I only stick with the biggies, Hertz and Avis..

I have read bad things about SIXT here on CC.....can't recall what exactly, but that may be the reason they're so cheap..

I was just poking around Yelp at reviews...they get decent ones, but the bad ones are for dirty cars, lots of extra charges....high deposits, charging for the day starting at midnight as opposed to 24 hours from when you pick up the car...to what sounds like bait & switch......

If it were me, I'd go with Hertz, Avis, Alamo, Budget, Dollar, etc.....

Edited by megr1125

I only stick with the biggies, Hertz and Avis..

I have read bad things about SIXT here on CC.....can't recall what exactly, but that may be the reason they're so cheap..

I was just poking around Yelp at reviews...they get decent ones, but the bad ones are for dirty cars, lots of extra charges....high deposits, charging for the day starting at midnight as opposed to 24 hours from when you pick up the car...to what sounds like bait & switch......

If it were me, I'd go with Hertz, Avis, Alamo, Budget, Dollar, etc.....

Seems hard to find many great reviews for any car rental agency...even the biggies...have their problems. The rates for the time period I'm looking for are outrageous compared to what I have usually paid for October and even March vs now a September. Thanks so much for your reply.

Looking for some feedback on SIXT car rental on 17th St in Fort Lauderdale..We usually rent from Thrifty near the Port Everglades gate but this time we are actually flying from FLL-SJU for a southern cruise. We're coming in to FLL and staying at Embassy Suites for 2 nights (9-11 & 9-12) pre-cruise and SIXT which I believe is just down the street from ES and their price for a 2 day rental is pretty good (special on their online website Toyota Corolla $36.00 inc taxes..is this too good to be true ?)..We're arriving at 9:50am (Thursday) and will have the taxi take us to SIXT and then return the car by their closing time (6:00pm) on Friday and will just taxi back to FLL for our morning (11:20am) flight to SJU..So how does this sound and has anyone done something similar and or used SIXT ???? I've tried researching them but hard to find any car rental company with great reviews... Thanks so much.

We used Sixt when we were in Florida in January. We flew into Orlando and stayed a few days at the nickelodeon hotel and then we drove from there to miami for a 7 day cruise. When we picked up the car we had no problems. Fast check in, super friendly and nice clean car with only 800 miles on it. That hardest part was going from driving a large SUV to a Jetta! Lol

When we got to Miami we went to put gas in the car and could not figure out how to pop the little door to the gas. We finally just drove over to the agency thinking we were just gonna have to pay $10 a gallon and when we got there we told the lady what happened. So she tried to open it and couldn't figure it out either. She told us she didn't want us to be late for our cruise so not to worry about the gas and it was on them. She was super nice and made everything easy on us.

Just because it is not one of the "big" named companies does not mean anything. We are business owners and I promise you we treat customers better than the "huge" companies! If it fits your budget than I would give them a try. As far as charging extra fees the total price is on the website. We paid in advance it did not have anything extra come up on our card. Hope that helps and have a fun trip!

We used Sixt when we were in Florida in January. We flew into Orlando and stayed a few days at the nickelodeon hotel and then we drove from there to miami for a 7 day cruise. When we picked up the car we had no problems. Fast check in, super friendly and nice clean car with only 800 miles on it. That hardest part was going from driving a large SUV to a Jetta! Lol

When we got to Miami we went to put gas in the car and could not figure out how to pop the little door to the gas. We finally just drove over to the agency thinking we were just gonna have to pay $10 a gallon and when we got there we told the lady what happened. So she tried to open it and couldn't figure it out either. She told us she didn't want us to be late for our cruise so not to worry about the gas and it was on them. She was super nice and made everything easy on us.

Just because it is not one of the "big" named companies does not mean anything. We are business owners and I promise you we treat customers better than the "huge" companies! If it fits your budget than I would give them a try. As far as charging extra fees the total price is on the website. We paid in advance it did not have anything extra come up on our card. Hope that helps and have a fun trip!

Thank you so very much for your reply...

Any trouble not taking their extra insurance...Will book with my AMEX in addition do I have to have proof of personal insurance...(I have farmers and they don't give out cards like some other insurance companies) ?

Ashland

I would not rent from them because a lot of the reviews I read are not good I was thinking about renting from them too but with what I read I would not do it. And if you do I hope it works out for you. And come back and tell us about it.

Ashland

I would not rent from them because a lot of the reviews I read are not good I was thinking about renting from them too but with what I read I would not do it. And if you do I hope it works out for you. And come back and tell us about it.

I haven't rented with them yet (not going until Sept)..and am so undecided. Since I want to return the car on a Friday evening at closing time (6:00pm) I prefer something within walking distance to the Embassy Suites (17th St)..I've now found that there is a Budget rental office very near to Sixt's rental office on the same street..but it's almost double the price....Who have you decided to rent with ?...I've used Thrifty and have had two very good experiences but their office is a bit further away and their prices are :eek:.

Thank you so very much for your reply...

Any trouble not taking their extra insurance...Will book with my AMEX in addition do I have to have proof of personal insurance...(I have farmers and they don't give out cards like some other insurance companies) ?

No we didn't have any problem with declining their insurance. We did take proof of our personal insurance but I honestly don't remember if they needed it or not. It was really late. I know the only thing extra we purchased was the turnpike pass which I don't think saved us money but it was definitely more convenient because we went through a lot of tolls!

Can I ask what type of bad experiences people are having renting a car? I've used Sixt, Budget, Alamo, Hertz and Enterprise and have had the same experience with each one. You go to the counter, sign the waiver, pay and then get the car keys and go. I've never received a car that was dirty. Maybe not spotless but never bad enough to ruin a trip. If you get in the car and it is dirty go tell them and ask for another. If any extra fees were added on to your booking then that is your fault for not reading everything before you sign it. If you go off of reviews alone then you really can't cruise with any of the major cruise lines because they all have loads of negative reviews.

If you are more of a positive easy going person I wouldn't worry about something as simple as renting a car ruining your vacation

Ashland

I decided to drive to FL. I know all the good companies to rent cars are double the price. That is why I decide to drive.

Okiegirl

I have been on many cruise and different cruise line. The worse that can happened on the cruise is that you do not like their food. But when you rent a car you need one that will run not leave you stuck in a place you do not know? And if you want to hear what bad about Sixt put it in Google Sixt review car rental. One person wanted to fill their car with gas and they could not because the door that you have to open to fill the gas tank up would not opened. The person brought the car to Sixt and they could not opened it.

Ashland - I've used the budget location behind the embassy suites. I checked your dates and it's $39 per day versus the $36 you were quoted from sixt.

Go to retailmenot dot com and look up the BCD codes and coupon codes. Do this with all the major rental companies and compare that way.

Is there a reason why you aren't renting a car from FLL and returning it there? You are still charged for the full day with Sixt even though you are dropping it off on Friday at 6. You might find a better deal comparing prices picking it up Thursday and dropping it off early Saturday morning. The airport is very close by.

Once you make a reservation keep checking prices. I've found they drop closer to the date. I just cancelled and rebooked a rental for next month today using the same discount codes I used previously.

Ashland

I decided to drive to FL. I know all the good companies to rent cars are double the price. That is why I decide to drive.

Okiegirl

I have been on many cruise and different cruise line. The worse that can happened on the cruise is that you do not like their food. But when you rent a car you need one that will run not leave you stuck in a place you do not know? And if you want to hear what bad about Sixt put it in Google Sixt review car rental. One person wanted to fill their car with gas and they could not because the door that you have to open to fill the gas tank up would not opened. The person brought the car to Sixt and they could not opened it.

That is great that you have been on so many cruises and disliking the food is the worst thing you have had happen. I'm sure there are a ton of people who would disagree with you on that being the worse thing that could happen on a cruise. I have been fogged in for more 30 hours in the port of Galveston and missed my 4 year olds birthday party. I have had a sewage leak in our stateroom before with no open cabins available to move to so we had to stay out of the cabin the entire day while they fixed it and cleaned the carpets. The smell was there the next 6 days. The point I was making is that some people make a huge deal out of something small and exaggerate their "side" of the story in their reviews. Some of them are pretty comical in fact. I have rented a car more than 50 times and have never received a car that has more than 5k miles on it. Maybe I was lucky? The chances of your rental car breaking down are pretty slim and in fact the only review I saw in the quick search I did was someone who's clutch went out in their rental. The funny thing is I have had that happen to me when I was a teenager because I didn't know how to properly drive a manual transmission vehicle. There are some instances that are not necessarily the fault of the rental car company. Us not being able to open the gas door was not the fault of the rental car company. We only drive GM vehicles and we were not familiar with a Volkswagen. I'm sure if we would have spent more time with it we could have made a phone call or did a quick search through the manual but we did not want to be late to the port so we decided we would just spend the extra cost on their price of gas which they didn't even make us pay.

The op asked if anyone had rented with them and how their experience was. I have rented from them and had a fine experience so I was just sharing it. You are more than welcome to share your experience with renting a car from them as well.

Ashland - I've used the budget location behind the embassy suites. I checked your dates and it's $39 per day versus the $36 you were quoted from sixt.

Go to retailmenot dot com and look up the BCD codes and coupon codes. Do this with all the major rental companies and compare that way.

Is there a reason why you aren't renting a car from FLL and returning it there? You are still charged for the full day with Sixt even though you are dropping it off on Friday at 6. You might find a better deal comparing prices picking it up Thursday and dropping it off early Saturday morning. The airport is very close by.

Once you make a reservation keep checking prices. I've found they drop closer to the date. I just cancelled and rebooked a rental for next month today using the same discount codes I used previously.

I agree! We rented a car for next month from Alamo and we received a 25% off coupon after we signed up for the Alamo insiders program. A lot of the companies have similar programs or you can sign up to receive special offers.

Do you mind telling me how you got the rate of $39.00 per day..I can't seem to figure it out :confused:...I tried using a BCD & coupon code and it wouldn't allow both...Which ones did you use ?

We aren't renting from FLL because rates seem to be higher and we would just prefer to return it the night before so we don't have the hassle of returning it morning of flight (maybe I'm wrong)..We are staying at Embassy Suites on 17th Street and I believe the Budget office is just down the street...so we can easily pickup/return to that location. Thanks so much for your help.

Do you mind telling me how you got the rate of $39.00 per day..I can't seem to figure it out :confused:...I tried using a BCD & coupon code and it wouldn't allow both...Which ones did you use ?

We aren't renting from FLL because rates seem to be higher and we would just prefer to return it the night before so we don't have the hassle of returning it morning of flight (maybe I'm wrong)..We are staying at Embassy Suites on 17th Street and I believe the Budget office is just down the street...so we can easily pickup/return to that location. Thanks so much for your help.

Try BCD Z070870. I entered pickup at 10:30am Thursday from the 17th street location and drop off 6pm Friday. $70 economy, $74 compact, $78 intermediate. Add tax to these rates.

Budget is in a shopping strip between 15th and Eisenhower blvd. Not to far from Sixt. You can googlemap it to see its exact location.

Try BCD Z070870. I entered pickup at 10:30am Thursday from the 17th street location and drop off 6pm Friday. $70 economy, $74 compact, $78 intermediate. Add tax to these rates.

Budget is in a shopping strip between 15th and Eisenhower blvd. Not to far from Sixt. You can googlemap it to see its exact location.

Have you ever had any problem when picking up a rental and them asking about the BCD code you used...If so what do you say...best response for the code you gave me ? Thanks so much for your help.

Edited by Ashland

I travel for business and leisure and rent cars quite often. I've never been declined for a promo code after making the reservation. You should be ok.

As far as that location, I did a drop off there. Many people pick up the car in FLL and then drop it at that location when cruising out of Port Everglades. They have a free shuttle to the port. I'm using them again next month.

I know nothing about the 17th Street location but I drove by the one on the corner of Sunrise and Federal, which is about four miles from 17th and it is MASSIVE. One of the largest rental car lots of ever seen with hundreds of cars. There was an all chrome Mercedes in front that was really cool.